Coffee! Whats your go to on the trail??!?!! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, fishing and travelling.
Send a message via MSN to hikeinBC
Default Coffee! Whats your go to on the trail??!?!!

I can't think of anything better than waking up in an idyllic spot in the alpine and having a great cup of coffee- three maybe. My go to is usually an aeropress but last trip I tried some starbucks instant pouches in an effort to save space and weight and gross. Now we all have cheats that we just can't do without and this is likely mine but whats your go to? Any really good instant out there in Canada?

"Something profound" - someone profound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 09:07 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Starbucks via is my go to as well. I did buy a jar of instant coffee recently to see if they've improved it any in the last few years, but I have yet to crack it open. I have an aeropress and the coffee tastes great but it's too much stuff to clean up. Plain old cowboy coffee (grounds in a pot, let it settle, pour into cup gently) is a good option as well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 09:36 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Plain old cowboy coffee (grounds in a pot, let it settle, pour into cup gently) is a good option as well.

That's how you make Turkish coffee. Ultra fine grind (finer than espresso). I had my coffee that way for a long time before all these frappuccinos, mochacinos, lattes and who knows what else. There is special pot, you boil water with sugar already in, when it boils take off the flame, pour a bit on the side (to make space for coffee), add coffee grinds, stir, back to flame only for few seconds for second boil, and let it stay a bit so coffee grinds settle. Still think coffee tastes best that way
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 6.26.46 PM.png
Views:	60
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	283156
Traditionally served with special sweets if you want real Turkish feel. Some people also dip sugar cubes in coffee and suck on them.

But for trail it is too much trouble. I just premix at home in small plastic container instant with sugar and milk powder, then in camp boil water and stir in the cup. Works great and easy.
martin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 01:52 PM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

I use the Starbucks via but I donít really like them much, I usually put them in Carnation Instant breakfast.

Iíll also sometimes carry some pour over coffee pouches (like provided with Hotel room small coffee makers or the ones from MEC) when I have more time to actually sit and enjoy my coffee/breakfast. I also have a ridiculously expensive titanium pour over screen but I donít like the cleanup in the morning when I need to leave camp fairly quickly.

I just bought an Aeropress but canít imagine hiking with it so itís for RV camping/boondocking but then I think I still prefer to use a little expresso stovetop perk style maker, the small version might not be too heavy to hike with when weight isnít a totally big deal.

In the end, I sometimes just drink tea and honey because you can count on it tasting like you want it to.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Consensus is instant! The Turkish coffee looks interesting. Might end up just having to stick with the Starbucks in the end 😭

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 08:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

Don't know whether it is available in Canada, but I use Mount Hagen instant (it's superior to Starbucks' Via, and almost tolerable mixed with cold water), but mix 50:50 with hot chocolate or chai. (My tolerance for actual coffee is way down.)
A great alternative I tried this summer is chocolate-coated coffee beans! Crunch down a few of those and it is a quick boost.
A cup of real coffee is nice to look forward to on returning to civilization.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 09:47 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrook View Post
Don't know whether it is available in Canada, but I use Mount Hagen instant (it's superior to Starbucks' Via, and almost tolerable mixed with cold water), but mix 50:50 with hot chocolate or chai. (My tolerance for actual coffee is way down.)
Thanks ColdBrook, I see that Mt. Hagens is available at London Drugs, I will have to check it out!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Coldbrook thanks I’m def gonna give it a try!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 07:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

martin, hikeinBC,
Glad to be able to suggest something. Please post your experience with Mount Hagen!

zeljkok,
I did the cowboy coffee thang during a year when coffee filters were not in the budget, and it's difficult to get beyond that association. But it definitely did the trick.

Last edited by ColdBrook; 01-09-2021 at 07:27 PM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 09:32 AM
Banned

I’m in Canada and I usually go with the Nescafť instant coffee from Walmart. It comes in single serve pouches, so easy to pack. You can even get the cappuccino flavours if you want to get fancy out there 😂
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2021, 10:21 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

I can’t be bothered to carry the extra weight and deal with cleanup for a great cup of coffee so I compromise with Starbucks via. In an attempt to save a bit of money I tried store brand instant coffee and it is almost undrinkable. Starbucks does the trick just fine and you can’t beat how packable it is.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Hittin' the Trails

My hiking go to is a via packet mixed with a nescafe 3-in-1 or similar - sweet, creamy, plus enough coffee flavour to make each kind palatable. Invested in a handpresso for paddle trips last summer, and it's not quick for a group, but a luxurious way to way up when you have the time. I definitely regretted taking it up Howe Sound Crest last summer though, it is not light.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

CK06- being a bit of a coffee snob the 3 in 1 sounds nice. Anything to mask the insta taste. I know people say VIAs are good but feel the need counter... lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page