Securing gear in the backcountry - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Securing gear in the backcountry

Hi all - new to this forum. My husband and I are taking our kids on their first backcountry camping experience this weekend, and we have a question about securing gear. We will be hiking in the first day, but leaving camp set up the second day and doing a day hike. My question is this: how much gear are you comfortable leaving set up and unattended during the day? This trail isn't terribly remote and I know some cars are broken into in the parking lots every year.

Do you take some gear with you on your day hike? Are you comfortable leaving everything set up? Do you leave a note?

We haven't encountered this before, as all our hiking has been end-to-end one way trails and we've always had our gear on our backs (and we haven't had our kids with us).

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Summit Master

I guess it depends where exactly are you going and how far is it from trailhead. Car thieves usually come 3-4 am to break into parked vehicles and are not likely to hike to campgrounds. Campers are usually normal folks just like you and your family. When backpacking I leave setup tent with sleeping bag/mat, stove/cooking gear and any extra food in food storage. Never had any problems. If I brought Kindle to read, I'd take it with me and of course photo camera, keys, wallets, etc. Basic common sense.
kellymcdonald78 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page