Northover Ridge - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By rh1080

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Northover Ridge

I have done a few backpacking trips in the Rockies, and this year I have my heart set on the Northover Ridge Route. Most of the trip reports I have come across were hiked in August/September. The only weekend I can make it to the Rockies is July 13, 14, 15. Will the route be do-able in mid July?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:25 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Very iffy at that time of year. Hidden Lake will likely be running high meaning you'll be in for a not fun hike through the forest. We did Aster Lake August 2013 (we had to abort Northover due to weather) and there was still some snow at elevation. Most folks recommend Northover as a August/Sept hike, but things are melting fast this year. I'd keep an eye on the Alberta snowpack report https://rivers.alberta.ca/ (click on the snow pillow layer) which has a station at Three Isle Lake. If you are considering it you may want to grab permits sooner rather than later, as Aster Lake is only showing 1 spot available on the 13th and full on the 14th (although you can random camp on the BC side). Three Isle has one spot on the 14th.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks Kelly, I did put in for my permits at Aster and Three Isle a couple days ago online but haven’t gotten a response yet. I don’t mind a little bushwhacking, I just don’t really want to pack crampons or ice axe. I haven’t invested in microspikes so far in my travels, but do you think they may be needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Summit Master

No to microspikes

Ridge itself will be dry, but there will be drifts of snow, possibly deep on Aster approach as well on 3 Isle lakes side. I believe it is doable, but 2 iffy spots will be 1) Hidden lake (as Kelly says, but this is mere annoyance) 2) Headwall on Aster hike in -- this can actually get quite tricky if not dry & slip can have some consequences, so suit yourself. Drop from the ridge on 3 Isle lakes side will probably be a glissade & actually a highlight.

If you go, do post condition update/pics please, as I am also thinking heading that way (once world cup in soccer is over, lol)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I do have the campsites booked. I just got the email confirmation last night, so may have lucked out and snagged the last spots. I was still planning on doing the trip regardless and random camping on the BC side. I don’t mind some snow and bushwhacking, I enjoy the struggle. As long as it is do able I will do it, I just don’t want to get out there and find that the route is impassible. After all, I am driving 10 hours to get to Kananaskis.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I've booked it for Sept 7-10 this fall (with the option to hit Turbine on the last night).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:33 PM
Summit Master

Have a good trip Kelly
I keep saying that best backpack in K-country is 4 day, 3 night trip:

Day 1: Upper K-Lake -- Aster Lake
Day 2: Aster Lake -- Three Isle Lake (via Northover Ridge)
Day 3: Three Isle Lake -- Turbine (via South/North Kananaskis Pass)
Day 4: Turbine -- Upper K-Lake

Which is I am guessing what you have on mind
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:28 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Have a good trip Kelly
I keep saying that best backpack in K-country is 4 day, 3 night trip:

Day 1: Upper K-Lake -- Aster Lake
Day 2: Aster Lake -- Three Isle Lake (via Northover Ridge)
Day 3: Three Isle Lake -- Turbine (via South/North Kananaskis Pass)
Day 4: Turbine -- Upper K-Lake

Which is I am guessing what you have on mind
That's the plan May stash a bike at Interlakes to make the segment from there to the Upper Kananaksis parking lot less onerous
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I conquered the ridge 🙂 conditions were great. Some snow on the way to the ridge from Aster, and on the way down to Three Isle, but easily manageable. Lots of snow at the Northover Lakes still. My original plan was to start at Upper Kananaskis Lake and hike around to Hidden Lake, but due to Rawson Lake area being closed because of multiple bear sightings I had to begin and end at the Interlakes trailhead. I was going to bushwhack around Hidden Lake but decided to hike down to the lake to check it out. This worked out great because the trail along the edge of Hidden Lake was accessible, so there was no bushwhacking to be done. It was a very exhausting hike for me overall and I had to take it quite slow because I have very little experience with scree (which was very steep :S) but the reward was well worth the work. I can tell you that pictures on trip reports do not do this hike justice. The views from the ridge were just amazing, it was very hard to say goodbye to the ridge and head down the knee-killing scree. Best hiking experience I’ve had so far. I’ve only done a few trips but I think the Northover Ridge will stay at the top of my list for years to come 🙂.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88476E60-CAE7-4F23-9E0A-92A258E1BB27_1532024871080.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	970.2 KB
ID:	260062  

treord8 likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Summit Master

That's really nice view into Height of the Rockies area

Glad you had a good trip. Can't believe you had to go from Interlakes to access Hidden Lake. Bears frequent grassy slopes above Rawson lake, but that is WAYS from upper lake trail; my guess is they just decided to close the whole thing because it is so popular & it was the easiest thing to do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page