How do you feel about mountain bikers? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes
Default How do you feel about mountain bikers?

I just wondered how people feel about mountain bikers, like haveing to share trails with them etc. Let me know what you think

----------------------------------------
B.F.

Bring back Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I don't mind sharing the trails but I find most biking trails are a bit boring for hiking, except for the teeter totters and rock dropoffs that is
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:09 PM

I think it is ok. Motorcross is probably too much, though.

Acrophobia=An abnormal fear of high places
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Summit Master

I hike and bike. Never had a problem with either group. Both have been respectfull of each other on the trail.

"My name is Hiker Boy and I approved this message"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hikingbikingyogastudyingarcticdogswatersportssnowshoeing

I like mountain bikers and I like to mountain bike. The crew that I go out with tells each other off if anyone skids. If you are reasonable on a bike you should be able to brake without chewing up the trail. We save the tire skidding for the pavement.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:24 PM

i also am a hiker/biker type and have never had problems although some of my hiking friends in the U.S. have quarrelled with aggressive downhillers in overcrowded areas. Don't know, maybe more elbow room here..easier to keep our civility.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:16 PM

I think it depends on what type of trail you are talking about. I am an avid mountain biker and if I'm riding a down hill trail and come flying around a corner and there are people walking up the middle of a trail there is a problem. On the other hand if I'm hiking up an trail and some idiot on a mountain bike comes flying around a corner there is a problem there to.

On a more cross country type trail I find there is no problem, if I'm riding my bike I will stop and get out of the way and alow the people hiking the trail to pass by and I say hello. I have also found many people will stop and let the rider through, and if this is the case I slow down and say hi as I pass by.

As a rider if I'm heading down a steep trail that is shared I slow down but I would rather just pass the trail by and head to a bike specfic trail where I can have more fun.

I'm always aware of what type of trail I'm on and if I know there are people walking or people riding I'm very aware and take precautions as needed. I have found that 95% of the time people are nice and there are no problems.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

What Brendan said[8D]I do a lot of both,and common courtesy is the way to go-I've seen very few confrontations.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:28 PM

I agree with most of the above. No big deal. Bikes are suitable for only a minority of trails in the mountains. We often use our bikes to gain quicker access to more remote areas (then start hiking). Fortunately there are some great bike trails on the slopes east of Calgary and an unlimited lifetime of trails on which bikes aren't suitable.

After hiking for 35 years I still haven't reached the end of the trail.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, mountain biking, skiing, talking to my puppy, trekking in Nepal

I hike and bike. Courtesy and common sense and we all should be able to co-exist. In Europe I did a trans alp several years ago. The hikers have no problem with the bikers and even move when a biker rings his bell. I was so surprised, I would never ring a bell at a hiker for fear of having the crap beat out of me over here.

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:33 AM

Before I start, I think mountain biking is a great sport. It's always good to see more people being exposed to the fantastic wilderness out here, and biking brings a lot more people into a lot more places.

That said, I will admit to a feeling of uneasiness when hiking a steep trail covered in bike tracks. In that way, my experience in the outdoors is slightly marred by the presence of mountain bikes on these same trails. There are many ways for one to be injured on the trail, and collisions with mountain bikes while carrying a hefty load on one's back is unnecessary on a lot of trails.

My own opinion is that bike trails should be wider, or independent of foot trails.

Even still, however, I've rarely met a mountain biker who recklessly endangered hikers on these trails, and most in my experience take extra precautions in areas where a collision might occur. As with most things, it's the few that taint the many.

Life is one great network of trails blazed across the world. The path you choose makes all the difference.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: bikes,hikes,climbs,pucks,snowboards, flyfishing

i hike and bike lots i also hike to build bike trails. in nanaimo the trails are quite obviously one or the other but there are a few that are the main lines which are used by both frequently and it is really only on those trails where there may be a problem. we know that about these trails and tend to take it easy as we know there is a good chance we could encounter other hikers or biker coming up. with that said a couple of bikes coming down the trail at any speed makes alot of noise and a collision should be able to be avoided. with the technology in bikes these days and the great suspension systems,ca you really blame someone for going fast downhill?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Surely there are more opinions than this? The current threads bore me.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

I like ripping fast turns blindly through flowing brooks.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Banned

Since switching to a more aggressive knobby on my dirtbike, I am able to stop without skidding...going uphill is another story!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page