How do you feel about mountain bikers? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

I haven't figured out how to keep my back tire from skidding around in meadows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I use studded tires in meadows for just that reason.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 07:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Oh sorry, I thought this was a dirt biking thread, my bad. Mountain biking up to the meadows just seems like too much effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I used to be one so I'd be an asshole if I said they piss me off. But really, I generally find I don't run into them much at all in the areas I find myself in.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I don't think I've ever seen any on the hiking trails around here, but I've seen plenty of hikers on the local mountain bike trails. I trail run on Mountain bike trails and hiking trails, and I've got to say that the mountain bikers are always friendly and chatty, while some of the hikers give me dirty looks.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:51 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I've never had a problem with cyclists on mountain trails, probably because there don't seem to be very many of them above a few hundred meters elevation gain, and any who are riding there seem to be mostly polite and friendly.

However, Edmonton has some beautiful river valley trails that are posted as 'Shared'. Some are paved but many are gravel or dirt. There, people on mountain bikes almost universally seem to have a 'get off my trail' attitude. Just going for a walk on a summer evening means risking a collision with some idiot flying down a busy path at full speed. I'm fairly nimble - I can usually hear them sneaking up from behind and jump out of the way - but I pity someone who's disabled, hard of hearing, or just not paying close attention to their surroundings.

Local bylaws say that cyclists [u]must</u> ring their bell when passing pedestrians, but it's hard to enforce. On one evening's walk, I was passed by at least 100 cyclists. One rang a bell as he approached from behind, and two or three called out to let me know they were coming. The rest seemed to be more interested in seeing how close they could come for maximum 'startle value', and many snarled and/or glared at me as they passed, for the sin of being in their way. And almost none actually seemed to have a bell at all.

Hopefully none of the people on CT are like that. Those attitudes make one want to walk firmly down the middle of the path so the cyclists can either run into a well-padded backpack or off into the bushes. Obviously, the bad ones stick in your mind more than the ones who are polite, but it's a case of those few ruining it for everyone else.

post #22 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I don't mountain bike, but I don't mind them on the trails at all. For the most part it seems that we only share short sections of a few trails....I don't go where they go, and they don't go where I go. I don't think this is intentional but probably means that we just don't like the same terrain.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Beer before hiking.

I don't mind mini bikes on trails. Because I do that. Not mountain bikes because they are usually going slower than me.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

I don't think it's a hiker vs. mtn biker issue, I think it's an issue of personality - easy going people tend to get along better regardless of what they're doing - the uptight will find an issue with something no matter where they go. I've encountered very few problems while hiking or riding, but when mtn biking I've noticed a definite age correlation among those who disapprove of it(not that I'm that young anymore). I suppose one would be more inclined to disapprove of mtn biking if one had been hiking the trails years before mtn bikes came along.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I used to bike a lot so I'm biased - I have no problem with mtn bikers. I'd even like to see more trails opened to bikers that are currently closed. Not all trails, just ones that could handle it. It seems that bikers get no consideration when it comes to dedicating trail use. Like here in Victoria, some trails are open to horses and off-leash dogs but not bikers.

Plus, I'd like to see more hiker-biker collaboration. It's make for stronger lobbying and more volunteers for trail maintenance/building.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Summit Master

How I feel about mountain bikers as a hiker is the same as how I feel about other hikers, people with dogs, etc. etc. That is, if they are reasonable and respectful people in whatever it is they are doing***, then my feelings towards them are positive. If they are jerks (ie tearing around blind corners and swearing at any hiker who happens to be in their path), then my feelings are negative. But I have also met hikers with an entitled "get out of my way" attitude too; hence my "feelings" are about how people behave in general, not the type of recreation they enjoy.

***this excludes people with noisy machines and people who tear up meadows, as this behaviour is inherently disrespectful IMO.

post #27 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Farmer

I just wondered how people feel about mountain bikers, like haveing to share trails with them etc. Let me know what you think

----------------------------------------
B.F.
Your turn, tell us what you think about mountain bikers etc.

I don't mind ANYONE doing ANYTHING as long as they don't interfere with my business.

post #28 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:How I feel about mountain bikers as a hiker is the same as how I feel about other hikers, people with dogs, etc. etc. That is, if they are reasonable and respectful people in whatever it is they are doing***, then my feelings towards them are positive. If they are jerks (ie tearing around blind corners and swearing at any hiker who happens to be in their path), then my feelings are negative. But I have also met hikers with an entitled "get out of my way" attitude too; hence my "feelings" are about how people behave in general, not the type of recreation they enjoy.
Well put Tracy. I'm about the same, I do both so it all depends on the person/people !
post #29 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Scaling New Heights

Generally I do not have a problem with mountain bikers. I also mountain bike and I am a technical rider, not speed demon where I could see potential issues. I know in the past some folks were not happy to see me scaling fallen trees or crabbing my bike up a trail. I think the biggest thing bikers need to remember is to give heaps of sound warning or else a startled bear or hiker could attack back [^]
post #30 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Farmer

I just wondered how people feel about mountain bikers, like haveing to share trails with them etc. Let me know what you think

----------------------------------------
B.F.
Your turn, tell us what you think about mountain bikers etc.

I don't mind ANYONE doing ANYTHING as long as they don't interfere with my business.
Good thing you'll never have to worry about it since you don't actually hike anyways.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page