ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Hiking and Backpacking (https://forums.clubtread.com/11-hiking-backpacking/)
-   -   Backcountry camping (https://forums.clubtread.com/11-hiking-backpacking/90585-backcountry-camping.html)

allyadventures 05-17-2018 02:44 PM

Backcountry camping

Hi friends! My husband and I are looking to do an overnighter this weekend. We have snowshoes and crampons but no ice axe. Any suggestions on a nice place for us to hike to and set up camp? I was considering Elfin Lakes, but we have been before and I kind of want to do something new. Anyone been up to Golden Ears lately? Think we’d have any luck getting up to the ridge, or is it too avy-prone right now?
Thanks!

treord8 05-17-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allyadventures (Post 835369)
Hi friends! My husband and I are looking to do an overnighter this weekend. We have snowshoes and crampons but no ice axe. Any suggestions on a nice place for us to hike to and set up camp? I was considering Elfin Lakes, but we have been before and I kind of want to do something new. Anyone been up to Golden Ears lately? Think we’d have any luck getting up to the ridge, or is it too avy-prone right now?
Thanks!

Are you looking to be in a particular area? How far of a trail are you looking for? Eaton Lake could be a good spot, though it, and probably many other areas around the lower mainland, will likely be very busy this weekend.

allyadventures 05-17-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treord8 (Post 835401)
Quote:

Originally Posted by allyadventures (Post 835369)
Thanks!

Are you looking to be in a particular area? How far of a trail are you looking for? Eaton Lake could be a good spot, though it, and probably many other areas around the lower mainland, will likely be very busy this weekend.

Eaton Lake looks great! Do you need a 4x4 for the trailhead?

Yeah we figure everything will be busy this weekend. We’re open to any area within a 3 hour drive of the lower mainland. As long as something isn’t “Joffre-lakes busy” it should be good!

treord8 05-17-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allyadventures (Post 835425)
Eaton Lake looks great! Do you need a 4x4 for the trailhead?

Yeah we figure everything will be busy this weekend. We’re open to any area within a 3 hour drive of the lower mainland. As long as something isn’t “Joffre-lakes busy” it should be good!

No need for a 4 x 4 for the trailhead, as it's on a pretty decent gravel road (same one that goes to Ross Lake). I would check out the road conditions if you can, though, as one time when we were heading that way to do the Skagit River Trail, there was a road washout that was impassable.

Lower Stein would be another good option, except that I'm pretty sure the ferry is closed due to high water. We did an overnight up Mount Killam (on Gambier Island) last spring and it was pretty enjoyable, though a little unconventional as we had to lug our water up from a stream lower down. You probably wouldn't run into any people there and there definitely wouldn't be any snow there. TR if you're interested: https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...-7-2017-a.html