2Likes
  • 1 Post By JCarter
  • 1 Post By esmeadows

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Foot help!

Hi everyone,

In April/May of 2017 I walked 800km (28 days of walking) of the Camino de Santiago in France and Spain. It was a great experience, but my feet went downhill fast and were absolutely atrocious for the entire walk. So clearly I did something wrong.

I have another walk coming up in June, the 155km West Highland Way in Scotland, so I want to make sure my feet are well looked after this time. I'll post a few photos here, but some of them are a bit gross looking - but I think photos help with context.

Here were some of the problems that I encountered.

1) My feet are normally size 10 in Canada. I bought size 10.5 to accommodate wool socks for the hike. After two days of walking, these shoes were really tight, I guess due to swelling. At some point my feet were so sore I had to buy new shoes, and in Europe I ended up buying something more like 11's because my feet were so swollen.
2) My two pinky toes started blistering on day 2 - I'm pretty sure they curl under the two adjacent toes while I walk and end up getting stepped on. Any ideas how I best deal with this, or is this mostly a function of my shoe not being wide enough?
3) I ended up getting two mostly symmetrical blisters on the pads of both feet. I have no idea how I prevent against this. I ended up taking the top layer of skin off at some point, which helped them dry out and let me keep walking. But it was painful to walk on these when they were fluid filled.

Would appreciate any advice people have. I managed to limp my way to the finish line in Santiago, but I had ongoing blisters for 26 days of the walk, and it wasn't very much fun.

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blister2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	245194  

Click image for larger version

Name:	blister.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	245202  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:04 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Ouch! Preventative moleskin may help. Make sure shoes are good fit. Maybe take your feet (and photos) to a podiatrist for some advice.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 04:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Yikes .... I always buy boots/trail shoes one full size bigger than I am. Then, after a hike, I put these little 'nipple' pipes inside to keep the boot stretched. I force these things in to place and they help keep the boot wider, especially if the boots get wet. When they dry out boots/shoes tend to shrink a bit

These little pipe/cap gizmos I got at RONA for five bucks each boot.
Name:  boot1.jpeg
Views: 418
Size:  34.3 KB
Name:  boot2.jpeg
Views: 412
Size:  44.8 KB

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Hittin' the Trails

The internet is the single worst place to get advice on footwear.

Go instore and try heaps of things on. Find the brand that fits your foot best ( I'd start with Oboz, Salomon, Asolo, and Zamberlan). It's time consuming, but it's the best way to be mostly sure.

If you've struggled a lot in the past then get them from MEC, or Salewa since if you do get heavily blistered they'll honour a replacement.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 05:06 PM
Scaling New Heights

After 800 km maybe all feet look like that?

Possible reason for both kinds of blisters: Did you tighten your shoes well enough while hiking downhill? Maybe your feet moved back and forth in your shoe and therefore your feet hit the front (which damaged your toe) and had more friction under your toe.

First picture could also be an issue with your socks: too short on second pic or too loose on first pic. You have both problems at the same time so maybe your shoe was too short and socks were loose or too large?

Did you check the fit of your shoes by taking out the insole and stand on it? That way you can find out if they are wide and long enough.

Another possible reason might be your insoles, do you need orthopedic ones?

Probably you already did that: If you come back to Europe buy Compeed medium (not "extreme"), clean skin and open your blister and put it directly on the wound. As soon as they fall of, clean again and put on a new one.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Change your socks multiple times a day. Moisture is not your friend. Rotate dry socks throughout the day. Try using vaseline to keep your toes from clinging together. Perhaps try "toe-socks", Injinji is one brand. I tried them last year and love them. I cannot emphasize enough then need to keep your feet dry to avoid blisters. But everyone is different so be sure to try different solutions beforehand.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking, fishing, old cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpalmer View Post
Change your socks multiple times a day. Moisture is not your friend. Rotate dry socks throughout the day. Try using vaseline to keep your toes from clinging together. Perhaps try "toe-socks", Injinji is one brand. I tried them last year and love them. I cannot emphasize enough then need to keep your feet dry to avoid blisters. But everyone is different so be sure to try different solutions beforehand.
Hey there. Sorry for bumping this, but I'm interested how OP managed to find his way back From my experience, having a few pairs of wool socks and cotton ones as Cleverwander says is a must for me. I tried these toe-socks as mentioned above but I would give 50/50 for the effectiveness. Having your feet dry is an obvious but difficult task
alpalmer likes this.

In love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met.

Last edited by JCarter; 08-30-2019 at 04:04 AM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Scaling New Heights

Default Blister Prevention

I have always blistered on my boney heels. My current approach is to apply KT tape to vulnerable areas, then use a crew-length nylon, then a wool sock.

If the tape stays in place, the heel is invulnerable. The tape is the weak point. I've tried duct tape and gorilla tape. I first put a long strip from the sole, up the heel, and onto the achilles tendon. I then wrap tape around the ankle and around the insole to keep the heel tape in place. That works pretty well as long as you don't buy cheap tape. It has to be really sticky.

I'm hoping to get by with the smaller pre-cut KT tape in the future. I've had mixed success this year. It seems more prone to coming off after getting wet.

I also tried Tincture of Benzoin to better hold the tape. I didn't notice much difference.

It might help to put a thick wrap of Gorilla Tape or KT tape around the ball of the foot and perhaps the toes. The weakness of this approach is sweat, which will loosen the tape.

You didn't say whether you were using an inner sock. For me, the nylon under the wool sock is essential.

Scott
Attached Images

JCarter likes this.

Scott Meadows
[email protected]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page