Lost in the Back Country - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Hittin' the Trails

As some people pointed already, more people get lost because more people hike overall. IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, camping, reading, solitude

Hey. I don't have as much experience as you in the backcountry, but I have a little. In my opinion the number of folks getting lost comes down to a couple of factors:

1. Over reliance on electronic devices to find their way. Thing like GPS are handy, but at the end of the day a lot of raw beginners, while they are following the correct path as indicated by their GPS, don't know WHY it's the right path. its like memorizing that 5x5 = 25, but you don't know why it's 25 or how to get there using basic math skills.

2. Lack of basic map and compass orientation training, or even landmark direction training(sun, stars, moon, directionality of vegetation).

3. The "teddy bearing" of the outdoors, by movies, television, and other media. For a lot of folks, especially city folks, or people from countries, their only exposure to the outdoors is what they see on tv. What are they seeing? Unrealistic stories and depictions of what they have seen on mainstream media, and thus they believe they are prepared. It's like here in BC, or Banff. Every year you get bus loads of tourists stop, get out of their cars or buses, and immediately walk right up to a mother grizzley and her cubs, and try for a picture. It's mind boggling, but all they know is what they've seen on shows like Little Bear, paddington, or Winnie The Pooh.

Anyway that's my opinion. I acknowledge that I am generalizing a bit, and for that I apologize. Not everyone is like I've described, but each year it does seem like more and more people get lost, and SAR needs to be called.
dlofting likes this.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Well, you know, there are a lot of reasons. For example, many people relies on rescue services, devices, a bunch of electronic and they are counting that it more than enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 05:48 AM
Hittin' the Trails

The Search and Rescue (SAR) Organization finds and helps lost or injured climbers, hikers. But you should prepapre for everything in advance instead of getting lost and waiting for any helps. Some idiots didn't plan anything in advance, no first aid kits, basic equipment... and still hit the trails, lol.

If you want to find some gears like backpacking solar charger, 10 person tent... or get better preparations before any outdoor adventures, visit my blog to find out!
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Just last weekend I was doing the field day for an outdoor first aid course. Around noon, someone came wandering up looking completely unprepared for the weather asking if we knew where the trail was. Apparently they had heard from a friend on Facebook that there were some interesting ice caves nearby. They had no idea that those caves were 11km (one way) from the trailhead
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Just last weekend I was doing the field day for an outdoor first aid course. Around noon, someone came wandering up looking completely unprepared for the weather asking if we knew where the trail was. Apparently they had heard from a friend on Facebook that there were some interesting ice caves nearby. They had no idea that those caves were 11km (one way) from the trailhead
This probably sums up 'Social media outdoor adventurer' syndrome. Anyone can start a group and anyone can post anything. I am massively surprised accidents are relatively low

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page