User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gussmall

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: skiing, hiking, camping
Default splitting freeze dried meals

I'm finding it tough to find single portion freeze dried meals. I'd like to split the double meals and cook them separately. The problem is how to clean the pouch for the second use. It's tough to do this when backpacking due to lack of hot water and proper soaps. Does anyone have a solution to this problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes-1 View Post
I'm finding it tough to find single portion freeze dried meals. I'd like to split the double meals and cook them separately. The problem is how to clean the pouch for the second use. It's tough to do this when backpacking due to lack of hot water and proper soaps. Does anyone have a solution to this problem
absolutely, make a cousey (warming envelope/ bowl) out of reflectics (lots of stuff on youtube) and then use freezer bags to portion it out, put the freezer bag into the Cousey/bowl and fill with hot water... works like a charm.
hobbes-1 and alpalmer like this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Cooking pot, and transfer the food into small light zip-lock bags (much lighter than freezer bags). A small pot for solo use should be lighter than several days worth of packages, and you don't lose as much food by not having to deal with the nooks and crannies. You can still make a pot cozy and some pots clean easier than others. Dedicated backpackers skip the soap and drink their 'dishwater' for extra calories. Pick up a mini spatula from the dollar store to really clean it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

For me, I find that buying the cans (10-14 servings), which are then split into my personal single serving sizes, works great. Freezer ziplocs and maybe a moisture packet keep the food in good shape. Sometimes I vacuum seal the serving if I am not going to use it for awhile.

Lythe's idea of a little water in the ziploc afterwards is a great idea to get every last bit plus keeps you hydrated.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 12:07 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I've got a set of these:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cooltools_legacy/guyot-sm.jpg

They're great. Turn'em inside out at the end and lick them clean. Quick rinse in the creek and squish them anywhere in a pack. No extra garbage.

To your end, one would simply pour the appropriate amount of said FD meal and pour the boiled water over. Pot stays food free too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I use the ziplocks and seperate the meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Besides, a solo stove will be fine to cook these meals if you want to go ultralight backpacking and dont want to bring extra fuels.

If you want to find some gears like backpacking solar charger, 10 person tent... or get better preparations before any outdoor adventures, visit my blog to find out!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page