How heavy is your pack? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default How heavy is your pack?

For a 2-3 day trip, my pack usually hovers around 30 lbs, including a couple of beers. I'm trying to keep my pack weight under 35 lbs for our West Coast Trail trip in a few weeks, which I think should be manageable without giving up too many items. Friends that we hike with sometimes go super light with their stuff, but they end up not being comfortable at night and don't get enough sleep. To me, getting a good sleep at night is well worth the pack weight! My friend only shaves a few lbs off her pack and ends up paying for it all night. Not me! I sleep like a freaking rock with my gear!!

I think 30-25 lbs for a 130 lb woman is a decent pack weight. I could go lighter, but every item either swapped or dropped would reduce my comfort and I'm willing to make that weight trade off for comfort.

How about you guys? What is you pack weight usually? Are you typically comfortable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBoom4 View Post
For a 2-3 day trip, my pack usually hovers around 30 lbs, including a couple of beers. I'm trying to keep my pack weight under 35 lbs for our West Coast Trail trip in a few weeks, which I think should be manageable without giving up too many items. Friends that we hike with sometimes go super light with their stuff, but they end up not being comfortable at night and don't get enough sleep. To me, getting a good sleep at night is well worth the pack weight! My friend only shaves a few lbs off her pack and ends up paying for it all night. Not me! I sleep like a freaking rock with my gear!!

I think 30-25 lbs for a 130 lb woman is a decent pack weight. I could go lighter, but every item either swapped or dropped would reduce my comfort and I'm willing to make that weight trade off for comfort.

How about you guys? What is you pack weight usually? Are you typically comfortable?

For WCT our packs were in the 42-45 lbs range (including water and food) so 35 is pretty good. We probably could have shaved a little bit off of that as we brought some extra food and a sil tarp. We also tend to carry more water than we really need
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
For WCT our packs were in the 42-45 lbs range (including water and food) so 35 is pretty good. We probably could have shaved a little bit off of that as we brought some extra food and a sil tarp. We also tend to carry more water than we really need
My BF's pack will be about 10 lbs heavier.... we are trying to keep mine under 35 and his under 45.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: skiing, hiking, camping

When backpacking for 6-7 days my backpack is about 40 lbs and my girlfriends is 26 lb. That includes 3 litres of water between us.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Headed for the Mountains

right now base weight is at 18.84 pounds. I try to aim for 1.5 pounds of food per full trail day and I try not to carry more than 1 liter of water unless there is a big gap between water sources.
I also have optional gear based on each trip ie. fishing/camera/etc. which will adjust the weight.
Al_R and CEB like this.

The best signature ever
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:34 PM
Luc
Hittin' the Trails

For a three night trip my wife and I both carry a little under 35lbs. Five pounds of that is water. Last year my pack was closer to 45lbs which included more clothing and some food that was less calorie dense. If you can find lighter stuff that does the same job great but I agree giving stuff up that sacrifices comfort doesn't make for a better trip.

Beer is quite heavy >3/4lbs for a 350ml can so for longer trips if I'm going to carry something, it's usually a flask.

35lbs is ok. 45lbs gets to be a bit much on a longer day and certainly slows me down.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
For a three night trip my wife and I both carry a little under 35lbs. Five pounds of that is water. Last year my pack was closer to 45lbs which included more clothing and some food that was less calorie dense. If you can find lighter stuff that does the same job great but I agree giving stuff up that sacrifices comfort doesn't make for a better trip.

Beer is quite heavy >3/4lbs for a 350ml can so for longer trips if I'm going to carry something, it's usually a flask.

35lbs is ok. 45lbs gets to be a bit much on a longer day and certainly slows me down.
Yeah, I don't bother bringing a flask because I'm not really a liquor drinker. I like whiskey now and then, but it's not a refreshing drink for on the trail. Beer or cider are nice to have after a long day trekking through the sun, so on trips that are only 2-3 days, it's worth the weight. But yeah, I won't be bringing any drinks on the West Coast Trail - it's just unnecessary weight and I can't be bothered with liquor. I will definitely spend the dough and grab a couple cold ones at Chez Moniques!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Base weight should be at/under 20lbs, though the food weight always seems to be a bit high (yet I never have anything left over). My last 2-nighter I was at just under 28lbs, with 4.4 lbs of water. 6-night WCT soon I'm aiming for sub 40 with my partner hopefully sub 28 including full water though we won't know until all (especially food) is packed
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 03:40 AM
Hittin' the Trails

My baseweight is hovering around 8.5lbs for in-season hiking. Shoulder season, gets a tad heavier because of layers.

https://lighterpack.com/r/z1ge9

Consumables depends on the length of the trip. If I bring my camera gear, adds about 4lbs but I bring a fanny-pack type carrier to haul it around separate from my bag.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Hittin' the Trails

My usual weight is around 25-30lbs. Also, I'm trying ultralight lately, but I'm not sure about it yet.

Last edited by Kathryn Wilde; 08-28-2017 at 12:44 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 12:30 AM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

I'm usually at 28-30 lbs when I carry my bag, including 1 Litre of water, a small Bear Cannister and... yup my Helinox Chair. I've gotten to the point also that I realize that I just don't need a ton of food on shorter trips. I know I could get rid of 3-5 lbs but they're my security blanket extras that I have't come to terms with dumping yet. I'm trying to track which items I never seem to use and then be smarter about why I select them. I don't have a ton of money into my gear but I've done ok by watching EBay/used deals: REI Subkilo 15 degree bag, Big Agnes Flycreek, Deuter 45+10 ACT SL Lite, BA Q Core Pad. I weigh everything and I'm always interested in what others carry. I only ended up doing destination hikes this summer due to the high snows/fires so I'm probably messed up for longer distances now but I do dayhike with lots of just in case gear and because I want to keep some weight on my back so I don't totally detrain. I'm fairly new back to backpacking and usually go Solo so there's no sharing of item weight, I need to carry it all myself.
@mikeplowright I have a Frogg Toggs suit but have yet to take it on a trip as there hasn't been any darn rain this year at home for me to test it. I keep packing my Marmot Precip jacket/pants. I like the pants but I don't particularly find the Precip jacket that breathable for me and I'm not really sure how waterproof it is as it seems damp inside (from gooey hiking me). I recall reading somewhere that some people claim the Frogg Toggs is actually more breathable/waterproof than the Marmot Precip. Seems crazy but what's your take?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBoom4 View Post
Yeah, I don't bother bringing a flask because I'm not really a liquor drinker. I like whiskey now and then, but it's not a refreshing drink for on the trail. Beer or cider are nice to have after a long day trekking through the sun, so on trips that are only 2-3 days, it's worth the weight. But yeah, I won't be bringing any drinks on the West Coast Trail - it's just unnecessary weight and I can't be bothered with liquor. I will definitely spend the dough and grab a couple cold ones at Chez Moniques!!
Mountain friends, don't forget: Beer is no Burden!
(inspired from Sid Marty's "rum is no burden" line from one of his awesome stories)
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post
@mikeplowright I have a Frogg Toggs suit but have yet to take it on a trip as there hasn't been any darn rain this year at home for me to test it. I keep packing my Marmot Precip jacket/pants. I like the pants but I don't particularly find the Precip jacket that breathable for me and I'm not really sure how waterproof it is as it seems damp inside (from gooey hiking me). I recall reading somewhere that some people claim the Frogg Toggs is actually more breathable/waterproof than the Marmot Precip. Seems crazy but what's your take?
First, don't bother with the Frgog Toggs pants. They rip so easily. Surprisingly, though, the jacket is quite durable. I wouldn't expect the Frogg Toggs jacket to blow your mind with its breathability; realistically, it probably won't be much of a noticeable difference. That said, in regards to it being a $20 jacket and around 5oz~, its breathability deserves a bit of recognition when put up against more expensive, $100+ jackets. I pair it with a rain kilt, although I do sometimes opt for an umbrella over the jacket. Umbrellas are the ultimate breathable rain protection!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 07:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeplowright View Post
Umbrellas are the ultimate breathable rain protection!
Until you need both hands to make it up the trail.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlofting View Post
Until you need both hands to make it up the trail.
Or if you hike in a thunderstorm.
treord8 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page