How heavy is your pack? - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:56 AM
Hittin' the Trails

when we do the JMT, I just want the least snow and bugs, lol. I am thinking August 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
There is really no reason not to be sub 35 lbs for 7 days or less with lots of comfort. I've carried 40-60 lbs packs on trips and getting sub 35 lbs makes life so much more fun on the trail. It only took a few hundred dollars of investment and being okay with not having 12 pairs of socks to get my weight down.
Trying hard to get there, we will be planning a section hike on the SCT.
post #48 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 07:29 AM
Hittin' the Trails

averaging 40 pounds for 3-5 days (Not including boots, the clothes in my back or water)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 05:42 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking and Hunting

Based on the army, the standard was around 35lbs but obviously it depends what type of terrain and etc. Personally I believe a ruck should be roughly 25 lbs. Anything less you would be missing essentials; anymore it might take a heavy toll on your knees.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting" - Sun Tzu
survival techie
post #50 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 11:56 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, fishing and travelling.
Send a message via MSN to hikeinBC

I have my big 4 down to 8 pounds. I’d like to get my sleeping bag weight cut in half and plan to get a katabatic quilt when I win the lottery. I decided I would carry a bear vault because I’m always above tree line in grizzly country and a canister is convenient and safe. It means I have to do all I can to offset the 2 xtra pounds. Is it worth the weight? I guess it’s not worth it until a pushy bear strolls by.
russellcoffin likes this.

"Something profound" - someone profound

Last edited by hikeinBC; 01-27-2021 at 10:59 PM.
post #51 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 12:39 AM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeinBC View Post
Is it worth the weight? I guess itís not worth it until a pushy bear strolls by.
I have a love/hate relationship with my Bear Canister (BV450). Itís way nicer than hauling a wet bag around and so much easier than trying to hang. I prefer it to using the stinky dirty bear lockers in some campsites. On the other hand, sheesh, you spend a fortune to cut weight off your gear and then you add 1.5-2lbs of plastic in so when those Bear Lockers are available I still end up planning for them.

When you win the Lotto look in to buying a Wild Ideas Bearikade https://www.wild-ideas.net/
post #52 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 10:59 PM
Scaling New Heights

When you win the Lotto look in to buying a Wild Ideas Bearikade https://www.wild-ideas.net/[/QUOTE]

Ya I carried an almighty in the past and up high it’s always such a pain. Smelly Proof bags are nice for stuff you don’t mind to lose but nice to walk 100yds and drop a canister full of food. Couldn’t agree more though so much effort and money to drop weight just to add it back.

The weekender is 33oz vs the 33oz BV450; the scout 28oz so for the money BV seems pretty legit.

post #53 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 01:02 PM
Hittin' the Trails

My partner and I did the North Coast Trail and the Tenquille Owl Traverse this past summer with 38L packs. The weight was probably around 20lbs. Maybe a bit less. We took 3.5 days to the entire North Coast and Cape Scott.

It made a huge difference as both routes involve a fair bit of climbing or clambering.

I should have down a knoll of all the gear in hindsight. But we brought a tent, jetboil Sumo, one change of clothes, ultralight rainwear, and kept the insulation layer light. It does help that we had sub 800g sleeping bags. We also used thermarest Neoairs which are really small and light. We opted to go for a proper tent (Hubba Hubba) instead of a tarp shelter as it was easier to setup quickly when tired. Splitting it in two was a good call, and made packing easier for both of us.
post #54 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 04:25 PM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

Quote:
The weekender is 33oz vs the 33oz BV450; the scout 28oz so for the money BV seems pretty legit.
For the same weight though the weekender hold 650 cubic inches vs the BV450 at 440 in3 so thatís where the value is. Lotto speak, of course
post #55 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2021, 12:28 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
I have my big 4 down to 8 pounds. Iíd like to get my sleeping bag weight cut in half and plan to get a katabatic quilt when I win the lottery. I decided I would carry a bear vault because Iím always above tree line in grizzly country and a canister is convenient and safe. It means I have to do all I can to offset the 2 xtra pounds. Is it worth the weight? I guess itís not worth it until a pushy bear strolls by.
I do recommend the Katabatic quilt. One thing I will say unless you are very slim person, get the wide size. I have the Palisade in regular size and even as a 180lb 6'-3" guy (thin) I find it borderline too narrow when the pad straps arent secured.

Other than that, its a fantastic purchase.
post #56 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 03:17 PM
Scaling New Heights

CEB- ya actually that’s pretty significant!
Russellcoffin- thanks! I’m pretty stoked on the wide sizes being violent sleeper and flex with a quilt option being a hot sleeper. Leaning towards the 30 with a few oz of overfill. Thanks for the recommendation.

post #57 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2021, 01:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

I have been using an EE quilt for about a year now. Previous to that, I used quilts from Golite, MLD, and Jacks R Better. I also have a Feathered Friends Flicker.

I am in love with this quilt. Outstanding quality and almost fully customizable. Regardless of your physical width, get the wide. More flexibility for 2 oz more. Using a quilt is a bit of an art, however, but once you get a hang of it you won't go back to a traditional bag. Also way easier to layer in with clothing if the temps fall without compressing down on the quilt. This allows you to go with a lighter quilt that is rated cooler and use your clothing as double duty if required.

As far as pack weight, I have two systems - one which I use solo for up to 7 days. My base weight (all gear plus the weight of the pack) is 10.4lbs. I am 6'1" and 210 lbs so everything is generally XL sized. If I do need a bit more carrying ability - longer stretches without water or when I pack with my son - my base weight climbs to 12.6lbs. Both of these base weights get me comfortably to -10C without issue.
post #58 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2021, 11:48 AM
Scaling New Heights

FamilyGuy my choice is between a FF flicker and a quilt. I’m happy to hear you say you won’t go back. I typically sleep warm and see myself using it as a blanket style when possible. I’m looking to get a one option fits most (3 season) as my current bags a bit heavy. Thanks for the help!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page