Alternatives to Lake O'Hara for a couple injured nature lovers? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Smile Alternatives to Lake O'Hara for a couple injured nature lovers?

Hi CT'ers!

My husband and I were very hopeful that we were going to snag a campsite for Lake O'Hara this season (wishful thinking... I know) and thinking September may be a little less insane as far as calling for reservations. Not the case.

The challenge is that we both have injuries so are limited in carrying packs and the types/intensity of hikes we can do. We were hoping that O'Hara would be ideal in that we take the shuttle in, and can have a base camp without carrying gear, and can hike as little or as much as we feel up to each day.

So now we need to switch to a Plan B and we don't have one at this point... and I am betting most sites are booked..

We both really would like to check out the Rockies as this is a new area for us (we are on the BC Mainland), but we would still like to get a wilderness camping feel (preferably no car camping). Does anything else exist like O'Hara with the shuttle in, or very limited hiking in?

We were thinking about Berg Lake and just camping at the first campground for a couple nights...

Any insights are much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 04:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Check out Howard Douglas Lake from Sunshine Meadows. If there is still a shuttle service to Sunshine Village mountain centre the hike in does not involve much vertical (not sure if that is the issue with the injuries, of course).

As well, I believe you can book a helicopter shuttle into the Naiset Huts in Assiniboine Provincial Park. Very short walk from drop to huts... Good hiking in the near vicinity.

Fun is where you make it...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

msulkers is true about the heli. It's certainly a pretty cool option. Pricier, but could definitely be worth it. And there is still a shuttle up to Sunshine through the larch season. Sometimes it's the gondola rather than bus, but same concept.

The Takakkaw Falls campground in Yoho is a walk-in, so while it's car camping, it's more subdued, and it's no-booking. Might be your best car camping option.

Otherwise, for short hikes in, Elbow Lake in Kananaskis is 1.3km from the trailhead, and September camping is just barely starting to become availabvle (3 months prior), so you could get a site. There are three solid day hikes you can do from the site, and the campground itself is very pretty

Bertha Bay in Waterton is <5km in, and another very nice base, and from there you can hike down the lakeshore trail. Will also become available 3 months prior to the date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 01:47 AM
Summit Master

2nd the heli. Then its 1.5km around the lake to campground only. You can also have the gear flown out if you want to hike back instead of flying

re Berg Lake, They used to keep % of sites for 1st come 1st served basis, not anymore, 100% reservable and gone during booking season (June 17 - Sep 17 I think). Only Kinney, but this is 5.5 km from parking, not practical base camp for day-hiking to Berg Lake & doesn't really do justice to the area.

I don't know how much injuries are limiting you, but with nice spread over 2 days (1st to Whiterhorn, 11km mainly flat with 1 hill, 2nd to Berg, uphill but just 9km) maybe it is feasible. If your schedule is flex, show up midweek 2nd half of Sep @ visitor center & I am reasonably sure you'll be able to get a site. Few yrs back I drove mid-July during full season from Van; 5pm @ visitor center, midweek & had different options to chose from.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 03:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I would look for a flexible Plan B and check the availability shorter in advance or regularly here and there - now it's booking time, some day there should be cancellations -
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thank you all for the great suggestions! The heli is over the budget this time around, but I will look into the other options. Thanks again
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking7 View Post
Hi CT'ers!

My husband and I were very hopeful that we were going to snag a campsite for Lake O'Hara this season (wishful thinking... I know) and thinking September may be a little less insane as far as calling for reservations. Not the case.

The challenge is that we both have injuries so are limited in carrying packs and the types/intensity of hikes we can do. We were hoping that O'Hara would be ideal in that we take the shuttle in, and can have a base camp without carrying gear, and can hike as little or as much as we feel up to each day.

So now we need to switch to a Plan B and we don't have one at this point... and I am betting most sites are booked..

We both really would like to check out the Rockies as this is a new area for us (we are on the BC Mainland), but we would still like to get a wilderness camping feel (preferably no car camping). Does anything else exist like O'Hara with the shuttle in, or very limited hiking in?

We were thinking about Berg Lake and just camping at the first campground for a couple nights...

Any insights are much appreciated!
THIS is what I would do. I would hit up Banff beyond Lake Louise up the parkway(93N) only for about 25km give or take. This gets you into Mosquito Creek Campground(car camping) and across the creek to the Mosquito Creek Hostel. The only reason I mention these two is that should the weather go south on you, you then have options. More importantly, immediately across the road(east) is the trailhead allowing you to access South and North Molar Passes(Fish Lakes, Pipestone Pass etc.) and the wonderful alpine terrain to be had in every direction. I've been going in there regularly for more than 50yrs and it never gets dull.

The even greater thing is is you can get away from the highway via the trail again and backpack in for a measly 5.2km (75min walk in-I hope that's "limited" enough) and camp at something known as M05. That can be then used as a base for access to all the alpine terrain your senses can take. Here's the link and should you have any more questions just ask. Plus a photo of the alpine

http://www.canadianrockies.net/downloads/backmap_e.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Molar Meadows.jpg (1.42 MB, 31 views)

Last edited by woodenshoes; 06-11-2017 at 09:24 AM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Summit Master

Second Mosquito as very good idea. From Molar pass there is peach of a lake I think most people don't get to see because it it tucked away off main trail:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.53.49 AM.png
Views:	44
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	207786

It is just ~1km from the pass, to the right (west) side & walking on grass. Have a look for more pictures of terrain here (first 2 rows in gallery only, don't pay attention to rest which was exploratory scramble)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

If you are willing to cross the border into Montana then you can get some great alpine experience of the Rockies via the Going to the Sun Road. Gorgeous drive with some spectacular and easy day hikes!

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Have you done the Catherdrals? You can shuttle in and day hike. Not the Rockies but still beautiful?

Cheers!

"Smile, it is the key that fits the lock to everybody's heart."
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Awesome - thank you all! Lots of options it seems!

Mosquito/Molar area looks fantastic, will have to check this area out.

And great idea about Cathedral - this sounds ideal with the shuttle.

Now I just need to decide

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page