Roundtrip US and Canada, focus for dayhiking in June - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Roundtrip US and Canada, focus for dayhiking in June

Hi there,

as described in my introduction, my wife and I are planning a roundtrip (4 weeks) in US Northwest and Canada. We“d like to do some dayhikes in different parks. At present we“re thinking about Pacific Rim NP, Strathcona Provincial Park, Whistler, Wells Gray Provincial Park, Jasper NP, Banff NP, Glacier NP (US).

The "problem" is that we love to hike on mountains but we prefer to do that without ropes, Ski or snowshoes. For that reason I “d be very happy about any ideas on the question in which areas we should spend how much time especially regarding the typical weather / snow conditions in June.

Any ideas?

Last edited by kossi; 02-24-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Welcome to CT

There are so many excellent day hikes in all the areas you mention. It's very difficult to narrow them down. Snow levels in our coastal mountains have been very high this year. Many alpine areas will still have heavy snow in June. Perhaps you should join a local online hiking group here in BC to get the most up to date information. The following link might help you connect with the many hikers and trails in the southwest region of BC. https://www.meetup.com/VanHiking/

groups like this allow you to specify your hiking ambitions and skill levels. Then you will receive notifications of hikes you might like to join. Of course, you could do these same hikes on your own if you're not interested in going with a group.

Would you mind answering questions about hikes in the Austrian alps? We're considering a June trip to hike Saalfelden, Austria or St. Georgen ob Murau, Austria. If you know something about these areas perhaps we could start a separate thread to discuss them.

Last edited by xj6response; 02-24-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: missed words
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Trophy Mountain meadows in Wells Gray Park is a nice hike but you will miss the wildflower bloom which takes place in early Aug but if you go in late June you should catch the glacier lilly bloom which fills the extensive meadows. The trail will be mostly covered under snow until late June anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossi View Post
Hi there,

as described in my introduction, my wife and I are planning a roundtrip (4 weeks) in US Northwest and Canada. We“d like to do some dayhikes in different parks. At present we“re thinking about Pacific Rim NP, Strathcona Provincial Park, Whistler, Wells Gray Provincial Park, Jasper NP, Banff NP, Glacier NP (US).
I would consider popping down to Waterton National Park in Alberta during that time of year. Crypt Lake and Carthew Alderson are amazing day hikes that are usually accessible at that time of year there, and Waterton is an often missed gem.

In Jasper the best day hikes for your desired difficulty would probably be Sulfur Skyline (which starts and ends next to really cheap and nice hot springs)
In Banff, I would look at Paradise Valley, Sentinel Pass, or Bow Falls.

The best stuff would be along the Ice fields Parkway between Jasper and Banff, a drive you absolutely must do. There i would consider Parker Ridge, Wilcox Pass, or the Pinto Lake Lookout. All gorgeous and only about a half day.

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

@solo75: What do you think, are there any places in Wells Gray Park without snow mid of June? If not, maybe it“s better to skip this park on that trip and come back later?

@SarcasticMarmot: I watched a video about Crypt lake on youtube, seems to be amazing! If there are steel cables to grab and if there“s no need to bring your own equipment to attach yourself on fixed ropes (don“t know the right word, sorry) it would be perfect! We love parks where not too many other people are, so probably Waterton is a good choice, isn“t it? My former plan was to visit Glacier NP (US) again, but last time we have already had the problem, that most hikes were impossible to hike due to the weather (early June). Do you think that the snow conditions in Waterton might be better than in Glacier?

Sulfur Skyline looks very nice, too, I hope that the ridge is not too exposed for us

Do you think that there will be more peaple this year because of the anniversary (no fees, right)?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 10:23 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
@solo75: What do you think, are there any places in Wells Gray Park without snow mid of June? If not, maybe it“s better to skip this park on that trip and come back later?

@SarcasticMarmot: I watched a video about Crypt lake on youtube, seems to be amazing! If there are steel cables to grab and if there“s no need to bring your own equipment to attach yourself on fixed ropes (don“t know the right word, sorry) it would be perfect!
You can hike the lower elevation trails in Wells Grays most of which are short but quite a few lead to waterfalls. Check out the BC Parks website: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...pgs/wells_gry/
There is a bit more challenging hike which not many know of and is not marked. The path is rough and leads to the base of Spahats Falls. If there is snow on this path then I won't advise attempting it as there are areas of exposure with a steep hike down into the canyon.
I've done the Crypt Lake hike in Waterton. The cable which runs along the cliff is only there for hand support if you need it. It may sound more omninous than it actually is.

Last edited by solo75; 02-25-2017 at 02:25 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

@solo75: So I think we should stay at least 2 nights in wells gray to do some easy short hikes. The challenging one probably is not the right one for us, exposure with the risk of snow is not the right combination for us Crypt Lake seems to be perfect, maybe we should stay longer in Waterton?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:46 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Crypt Lake seems to be perfect, maybe we should stay longer in Waterton?
Keep track of the trail conditions as I'm sure there will still be snow on the trails in June.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp?oPark=100429
I also like the The Bear's Hump trail which is a nice short hike that only takes an hour and gives great views of the townsite and Waterton Lakes; a hike which can be done after dinner.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

We never tried after dinner hikes, sounds nice. And probably there“s some wildlife to see?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
We never tried after dinner hikes, sounds nice. And probably there“s some wildlife to see?
The only wildlife I've ever seen in Waterton is bighorn sheep and that was on Lineham Ridge.
I would highly recommend carrying bear spray even though attacks are rare. By coincidence, the last one occurred on the Crypt Lake trail back in the 1980's; something I remember clearly at the time.
http://www.blogofdeath.com/2005/12/2...ne-van-tighem/
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

@solo75: Thank you for the advice! Of course we always carry bear spray and make a lot of noise in grizzly country. (To be honest: We also carry it in black bear area.... since I almost ran into one behind a corner on my first hike inYosemite.)
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

We almost finished our planning, we“ll visit Strathcona, Jasper, Banff, Waterton and Glacier (US). Now have one night left to plan, what do you think:

Jasper or Strathcona?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
We almost finished our planning, we“ll visit Strathcona, Jasper, Banff, Waterton and Glacier (US). Now have one night left to plan, what do you think:

Jasper or Strathcona?
Currently there is about 6 to 7 feet of snow in the alpine area of Strathcona Park and this should last into June unless spring is mild however the long range forecast predicts below normal temperatures for spring. There isn't much low elevation hikes in Strathcona Park except around Buttle Lake area but many of those are just short nature trails.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hello! I see you didn't list it, but if you have a chance to check out Mount Robson Provincial Park it is most certainly worth it! Lots of day hikes around that area, along with the possibility to have an overnight stay! Kinney Lake is only 7km from the highway and its very beautiful!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

One week left to our trip, so as recommended by admin:

Has anybody been in Strathcona, Jasper, Banff, Waterton and Glacier within the last few days and knows something more about trailconditions?

We start hiking at Tofino / Ucluelet. Probably snow is not an issue there, right?

After that weżll drive to Starthcona and would like to go up to Landslide Lake (I think it“s not really part of strathcona, right?). Last trailreport (about 1 week old) says, there is snow behind first camp has anybody been there the last days?

Next hike will be close to whistler, I“d like to hike wedgemount lake, doesn“t seem to be realistic in about 2-3 weeks, right?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page