strong legs but knees need help ... supports? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default strong legs but knees need help ... supports?

Hi guys, I'm getting some issues with my knees on the very steep downhills.To be honest whether its a day hike or carrying a overnight pack it doesn't seem to make much difference. My knees do not like the steep, half-bent descents. I can squat over 200lb so my legs are fairly strong.

The discomfort comes from the front of hte knee, just below the knee cap.

Anyone else have the same issue? I'd like to hear if you used any tensor bandages or tape wraps and if it helped you out or not. Let me know if you have any advice Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

sounds like patella tendinitis. Got the same issue in my right knee. Try seated leg extensions with moderate weight, one leg at a time. Go real slow when lowering them back down. Then get an incline board so yoir heels are off the ground by about 3-4 inches and do slow squats. No weight. These are just to stretch the patella. Repeat 3 sets of each, twice a week. It helps me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 01:53 AM
High on the Mountain Top

It's worth it to see a good physio who really understand this stuff. They may be able to identify if there is anything specific that is tight/weak. Each person is unique - especially if you are engaged in weight lifting which may have given you a larger muscle imbalance than the average hiker.

These seem to be generally recommended:
http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/uploads...edium/5264.jpg

Some people have luck with these knee support things that have a hole in the front that holds the patella in place.

If you have the time and interest, this book has a lot of information about mobility in general. Honestly, everyone should be given more of an overview of this stuff in high school.
http://www.mobilitywod.com/the-supple-leopard/

I assume you are using poles? If not, do that.

I find that taking a few breaks on the way down can be very helpful. It's almost like the difference between doing one set of 15 vs three sets of 5 - you are going to be able to lift a lot more doing three sets of 5. Next time the pain starts up, try sitting down for a legitimate five to ten minute break and keep doing that as you need.

Like most of these types of issues, I find that if I push too hard, then it takes some time to recover and even more modest hikes can be problematic for a while. I don't do that anymore. Mixing up sports (take up kayaking or biking or rock climbing) can be great if your issue is related to doing a lot of big elevation days in relatively short succession.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 02:14 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail_snail View Post
Hi guys, I'm getting some issues with my knees on the very steep downhills.To be honest whether its a day hike or carrying a overnight pack it doesn't seem to make much difference. My knees do not like the steep, half-bent descents. I can squat over 200lb so my legs are fairly strong.

The discomfort comes from the front of hte knee, just below the knee cap.

Anyone else have the same issue? I'd like to hear if you used any tensor bandages or tape wraps and if it helped you out or not. Let me know if you have any advice Thanks!
There's been a few threads on CT lately covering the issues you mention. I'm scheduled for my third round of Orthopaedic assessment at UBC sports medicine but I'm still hiking. That said, I'm sticking to trails that are short, reasonably steep and scenic. Long treks, with loads of downhill return are just not on until my knee is fixed, or heals up. I've been hiking up gondola/chairlift serviced areas like Mt Washington, Sun Peaks, Kicking horse, sea-to-summit and Mt Whistler (Jasper) this summer so as to enjoy a good grunt uphill but not endure the downhill which is where so much knee damage happens

I use a hiking pole always. I wrap up my troubled knee with KT Pro tape (excellent stuff) and I use Mueller knee straps. I also use a Genutrain Bauerflex knee wrap.

A great knee strengthening exercise is to take a large, inflatable exercise ball, put it against a wall at the height of your lower back, lean back into it and do squats like that, with no weights.

A good physio can really help.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 03:06 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
There's been a few threads on CT lately covering the issues you mention. I'm scheduled for my third round of Orthopaedic assessment at UBC sports medicine but I'm still hiking. That said, I'm sticking to trails that are short, reasonably steep and scenic. Long treks, with loads of downhill return are just not on until my knee is fixed, or heals up. I've been hiking up gondola/chairlift serviced areas like Mt Washington, Sun Peaks, Kicking horse, sea-to-summit and Mt Whistler (Jasper) this summer so as to enjoy a good grunt uphill but not endure the downhill which is where so much knee damage happens

I use a hiking pole always. I wrap up my troubled knee with KT Pro tape (excellent stuff) and I use Mueller knee straps. I also use a Genutrain Bauerflex knee wrap.

A great knee strengthening exercise is to take a large, inflatable exercise ball, put it against a wall at the height of your lower back, lean back into it and do squats like that, with no weights.

A good physio can really help.
There have been some recent developments in exoskeleton technology that are looking interesting. Might be worth a shot if you don't mind being a guinea pig and paying the early adopter premium.

https://springloadedtechnology.com/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 01:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
There have been some recent developments in exoskeleton technology that are looking interesting. Might be worth a shot if you don't mind being a guinea pig and paying the early adopter premium.

https://springloadedtechnology.com/
That's such a coincidence you should bring that up. Last week we hiked up the Sulphur summit/ridge trail in Japser, so that i could enjoy a good knee soak in the Miette hot springs pool afterwards. As i was relaxing in the pool a young woman from Calgary walked past me who was wearing that kind of brace. We got to chatting and she said it was a 'bionic' brace, looked exactly like the one you pointed out. She seemed very pleased with how it was helping her recovery from a ligament tear but she said she thought the brace was made a by a Canadian company and that it is not on the market yet.

This girl was apparently a competitive skier though i didn't get her name, but from the look of her, she was clearly a serious athlete. Maybe that's how she got one of these gizmos? I didn't pay it much mind because she said it wasn't available yet but I'll dig into that web site you provided.

Anything to avoid another damn knee operation :-( ... although this time my surgeon thinks we might pursue a cartilage rebuilding, not just repair. *&@#$ .... joints, man, they just wear out, no matter how fit and strong you are :-(

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Have you tried stretching your IT band? Used to have tremendous knee pain when running. Went to a massage therapist and she showed me an IT band stretch and using a foam roller. Worked wonders, haven't had any issues since

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page