1st Backpack trip! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, running, family stuff. Cooking for my 3 sons.
Default 1st Backpack trip!

I'm going on my first Backpack trip ever! One night with my son and his girlfriend. I'm renting backpacking gear from MEC. Last time I slept on a thermarest my back ached for 3 days! Any advise on sleeping more comfortably[?]

----------------------------------------
"If you can't be handsome you might as well be handy"
Red-Green

The unaware are unaware that they are unaware.
M. Lipkin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 01:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Woodworking, Hiking, Backpacking, canoe tripping, motorcycle touring, fishing, etc. ...etc. living life outdoors is what it\'s all about!
Send a message via MSN to Dusty Boots Send a message via Yahoo to Dusty Boots

For me, to get the best sleep on a Therma-Rest, I just unroll it, open the valve and toss it inside the tent and let it do it's thing. After 10-15 minutes, I close off the valve.
You'll notice that your kness will bottom out but once you lay on it on your back or side, there is quite a cushion there[not too firm].
I used to make the mistake of adding a 'couple' of breaths to it but found out that that made the T-R too firm and a lousy night's sleep. YMMV, so experiment with it before you go.

Cheers, Ken
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 01:44 PM

I do add the couple extra breaths... the firmer the better for me. Like KeninPen says, you just have to experiment. also, if you sleep on your back, try putting something like a stuff sack of clothes under your knees. I find it really helps.....

Have fun !

^^ Go Vertical ! ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Be

Another tip for comfortable sleeps is to make sure that the place you are sleeping is flat. If you are sleeping on a slope (especially horizontally across it) you can end up really sore and tired in the morning. This is because even while you are sleeping your muscles are working to stop your body from slipping and sliding down the slope. (it doesn't even need to be a very big slope to have this happen)

A nice level camping spot can save your already tired muscles from a night of tossing and turning.

And if that doesn't work, there's always good ol' NyQuil!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, running, family stuff. Cooking for my 3 sons.

Thanks for the therma-rest tips, any other tips for the first time backpacker[?]

"If you can't be handsome you might as well be handy"
Red-Green
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

my big @ssed thermarest, down sleeping bag, and a recently 'adopted' small blanket from someone special makes for a much more comfy night for me.
I always wake up with backache after a bag night, but I find stretching once Im up, helps, after a half hour most aches and pains are gone.
If you cant find even ground to sleep on make sure your head is higher than your feet. I made the mistake once of ignoring this and woke up with a nasty headache
I also make a conscious effort to wake up and turn frequently also, since my thermarest does bottom out
As for inflating it, I agree, that is individual, since I took someones advice once on not inflating it too much and woke up sore.
Im not sure there is much else a person can do other than find your own 'comfy space' through trial and error. Hopefully in the meantime you wont suffer with too many aches and pains.
Oh, one more thing, some ppl carry camp pillows, I have yet to get one, but they scrunch into nothing, but can make for the most comfy rest for a tired head, or as mentioned above, between the knees to alleviate back pain.
Its a fine balance between what you are prepared to carry on the trails, and what you can live without at camp.
Good luck and enjoy your trip!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page