how heavy is your pack? - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 06:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckU

Trigger: looking at your profile picture, I have to say that your kids are doing great carrying 20-25 pounds. My little guy is 10 and is now carrying 18 pounds comfortably but last year that was a serious burden for him. My daughter carried 24 pounds last year at age 12 but that was pushing the limit (going to Garibaldi Lake). For fit and motivated kids I think 1/4 body weight is probably the limit for anything but really easy hikes.

----------------------------------------
"Aging ... it beats the alternative"
Well its not without complaint.
How was Garibaldi Lake I have been wanting to do this one but its a ways and 800m elevation maybe if i cut the weight down some.
Mine seem to complain about the fit more than the weight.

"Anything is Possible"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 06:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trigger
How was Garibaldi Lake I have been wanting to do this one but its a ways and 800m elevation maybe if i cut the weight down some.
Eeyore too. The torso length on my winter pack, which is her backpack, is just a bit too long for her. Next year she should be taller, and that will help. For any other trips this year I will reduce her gear, or I will give her my daypack and different gear to carry. She has been carrying 16 lbs which is under 25% of her body weight.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, AT Skiing, Snowboarding, XC Biking, Climbing

well I managed to reduce my pack weight from 26kg (57 pounds) to 21kg (46 pounds) on my 3 day trip to golden ears...felt as light as a feather. Much much better! I guess the 1/3 of your body weight is the magic number.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 10:17 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Hiker

The whole idea is to be comfortable and have fun. Another point to consider is age. When I was 30, I did not worry about weight at all.

Do you remember the old story about the old bull and the young bull on the hill top over looking the herd of cows ...
I've too changed my idea of what "comfort" means on a backpacking trip. In my last iteration of gear upgrade "comfort" meant a roomy tent, a big backpack to stuff all the extras into, a full lenght sleeping pad, etc. In other words I was considering comfort from the point of view of the campsite, not getting to the campsite.

I've now come around to the idea that "comfort" means being comfortable getting to the campsite. Since on any given trip I spend 6-8 hours on the trail. So this means less weight where ever I can shave off a few pounds. A lighter pack and tent are the first priorities.

By the way Russ, what did the old bull say to the young bull?

"Heaven is under our feet is well as over our heads" Thoreau
post #35 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 10:44 AM

One Meeeelion pounds! (insert picture of Dr.Evil here)
Muahaaa!
Muaahahahaha!
Muahahahahahahah!

[)]

I need to get me one of those!
post #36 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 04:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

Quote:
quote:how heavy is your pack?
too heavy
It doesn't matter how much stuff I take out... when i'm slogging up...i'm blaming the pack. If i'm just heading up Little Mountain... i'm blaming the size of the wallet and keys.

last overnighter it was exactly 40lbs (poles/axe/water etc. all included) most of the weight coming from the tent and sleeping bag.

The tougher the climb, the better the food tastes. -Lupin-
post #37 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Summit Master

Enough is Enough
I have found the solution. Being the flirt that I am , with a quick smile and a flash of my green eyes I now have my pic of Sherpas.
Weight is no longer an issue. Now I have another problem ... who to choose. Sigh , life used to be so simple when I was younger.
I can't decided " need help"!

post #38 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Summit Master

These young ladies may look muscular, but I bet that, on the day those pictures were taken, neither could lift a daypack if challenged. Forget about going to the woods with 'em.

It takes near-starvation and NO CARBS to look shredded like that

cheers - C Wall
post #39 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Hiker

I can't decided " need help"!
Ugh...that just isn't natural!!

How about one to carry you, one to carry your pack, and the last one to pack your keg?

A sensitive plant in a garden grew, And the young winds fed it with silver dew,
And it opened its fan-like leaves to the light, And closed them beneath the kisses of night.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley~
post #40 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Summit Master

So true. I took a gym rat hiking once and it was shameful
post #41 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 07:06 PM

Quote:
quote:It takes near-starvation and NO CARBS to look shredded like that
Not to mention a good hourly dosage of designer steroid,.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Russ I have met women like this, at a gym I used to go to
no matter what, there is one part of thier body that will never be muscular []
post #43 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I spend quite a bit of time at the gym, and I see the body builders all the time, posing and preening. They look at me with a kind of disdain when I pull my pack on and begin my cardio. I'm 6' and 160lbs, so I'm much leaner than any iron-pumper. Not many of them could don a pack and keep up with me.

Ironically, when I hit the weights, I can usually keep up with the big gym rats, and on any lower body lifts, beat them soundly.

They may have big showy muscles, but for endurance, they fall flat. I rarely see any true athlete that looks anything like they do. Check out Lance Armstrong. I would much rather be able to perform like Lance than stand around looking pretty.

Pack weight is a preference. If you crave comfort at the camp, meaning a big tent, extra warm bag, and gourmet meals, you're going to be carrying heavy. If you favour being light on your feet and making mileage and elevation, you'll have to give up camp-spot comfort for light weight geat and spartan accomodations.

Personally, I have a compromise that I have worked out for me, and it means carrying a tad more than true "Ray Way" folks, but far less than super-comfy campers. For 10 days, including food, my latest "system" is about 34 pounds. At that weight I can move pretty light on my feet, but still have enough food and creature comforts that I don't feel like the camp-spot is a test of my mettle. I have a tent to get out of the bugs and stay critter-free, but I often have to sleep clothed in my bag when the temp drops as I use a 5C bag. Now, that weight does not include anything like rope (for bagging yes, climbing, no) helmet, axe or crampons.

My most basic set-up is about 11lbs without food and fuel, and there is pack space left for food and fuel for 5 days, eating light and only one cooked meal per day. My heaviest is a 14 day pack with food and fuel coming in at 39lbs. Again, no climbing-type gear is included in those weights.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trigger

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckU

Trigger: looking at your profile picture, I have to say that your kids are doing great carrying 20-25 pounds. My little guy is 10 and is now carrying 18 pounds comfortably but last year that was a serious burden for him. My daughter carried 24 pounds last year at age 12 but that was pushing the limit (going to Garibaldi Lake). For fit and motivated kids I think 1/4 body weight is probably the limit for anything but really easy hikes.

"Anything is Possible"
Garibaldi Lake is a great destination for kids who are up for 9km with the elevation gain. The attractions are the cooking shelters where you can retreat no matter how bad the weather is and cook in comfort, dry out, play cards etc. There is the Lake full of fish, the Battleship Islands that are fun to poke around on with at least one good climbing boulder, lots of people and lots of options for day hikes.

My daughter has been twice on the July 1st weekend (at ages 11 and 12: 2002 & 2003) and loved it each time in spite of lots of snow. She wants to go back later this year when the flowers are in bloom. I took my son this July 1st (age 10) and there was no snow. He also had a great time. The hike was a challenge that he met with few complaints. I think we took about 4 hours going in and charged back out in 2 1/4.

As for packs and fit, my daughter has done well with an MEC Spirit 40 size small but it is not very flexible in fit range. My son (and daughter) have both been very well fit and comfortable with a Vaude Montana 45. This is a torso adjustable pack that can fit quite small but can also extend for use by small adults (I use it comfortably for day hikes). It's heavy for its size due to a substantial suspension and loads of features but the good fit seems to more than make up for the weight (this weekend my son carried 21 pounds without complaint).

post #45 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 12:02 PM

my basic pack weight is about 25lbs with tent, +5 sleepding bag, stove + fuel, 3 liters of water and clothes. i can pack 3 or 4 days worth of light food in it comfortably. IM thinking of building a popcan stove to lower my weight farther and use a smaller pot as i find the msr whisperlight and pot takes up to much room.

i don't have a scale so i don't know excaly my weight.

and i need a lighter bag and slightly larger then my bora 40 so i can go on week or 2 week trips.

johngenx what bag do you use in your kit?

-eric

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page