2-3 day overnight suggestions near Calgary - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By kellymcdonald78

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default 2-3 day overnight suggestions near Calgary

Hey all. Heard this was a good place to get some wilderness tips. Going on an impromptu business trip to Calgary this Thursday and looking to get into some hiking and backpacking (if possible) near Banff and/or Jasper.

Seeing as I don't have much time to prepare I was wondering if any of you have some quick and dirty suggestions on what to do and see in the region. Would love to do some backcountry stuff but not sure what backcountry campgrounds are reservable, in season, or what might be easily secured first come first serve?

Should I maybe just stick to day hikes?

How's snow cover generally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

This time of year you probably won't need to reserve ahead of time, but several places will still require permits. If you're in Calgary I'd recommend Kananaskis, you can do Northover Ridge, Three Isle Lake, or Turbine. Any of them would make for a nice 2-3 day backpack. Depending on how strong a hiker you are, there is also Mount Assiniboine (but that's a good 25-27km in). Iceline in Yoho is also spectacular.

Snow isn't much of an issue right now, but that can change quickly
dbbldz123 likes this.

Last edited by kellymcdonald78; 09-21-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: snow comment
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Awesome thanks so much for the reply and your suggestions!!! I consider myself an intermediary hiker can do about 10 miles of strenuos-ish hiking per day? I was looking into Mt. Assiniboine and saw that people take helicopters to get there? Wild. I'm assuming there's a way to access the area without doing that and/or make a loop out of it somehow? Will get to researching

I should probably have added that I'm willing to travel at least two hours outside of Calgary with the rental car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Off the Beaten Path

You can hike into Assinaboine from the North via Sunshine Meadows or from the South from Mt Shark in Kananaskis (where the helicopter flies from). If your intermediate then you'll likely need 3 nights (one in, a night there and a night back). Iceline in Yoho is about 2 hours west of Calgary, camping at Little Yoho is a nice place to spend a day exploring. Same with Three Isle or Turbine. Northover would be one day into Aster Lake, the next into Three Isle and the third back to the parking lot
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Snow isn't much of an issue right now, but that can change quickly
I wouldn't put it quite that way. Here is a recent MCR. The latest guy says there has been melting, but I would expect a good chance of ice on Northover Ridge, and certainly any new precipitation we're getting is likely to be snow.
It might be in hikeable condition now, but I'd definitely be concerned about and prepared for snow.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Sorry I should have been clearer. Snow wasn't an issue as of last weekend when I was at Upper Kananaskis Lake (but you are right, Northover may have snow/ice). However this time of year, things can change very quickly and you should be prepared for the potential of snow (and sub zero temperatures overnight in the alpine). Just last weekend there were two people that ended up spending a very cold unpleasant night on the Yam due to fog, freezing rain, and high winds.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: scrambles, climbing, water, fastpacking,

just starting larch/fall hiking season.
so hope i can help you with a few ideas
try starting your day early, that 2-2 1/2 drive cuts into prime hiking time.
me ,I would do day trips and car camping(peter lougheed for kananaskis or hostel in lake louise) .bigger bang for buck this time of year.
weather seems to be a bit better in kananaskis rather than in rockies for this weekend.
if you are coming from sea level i would say 30% of your hiking stamina is lost
lake louise area is crazy busy ,has some of the best larch viewing hikes and offers a free shuttle bus to help with parking.some of these hikes have a travel with "tight group of four" restrictions but with so many people not a problem.
kananaskis ,pocaterra ridge is one of my favs. easy to hitch a ride from parking area to trail head if you get there around 9amish
check out this link, gives some nice hikes if larch viewing is your thing:http://www.tourismcanmore.com/blog/l...-in-kananaskis
enjoy your weekend any hike you pick will be better than all the coffee shops/malls in any city!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page