• 4 Post By alexcanuck
  • 1 Post By dougz
  • 1 Post By Candy Sack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking/hiking, reading, sewing
Default He Refused To Leave His Jeans At Home

I have a brother-in-law who went backpacking with me and a few others last year, and wants to come again this year on the Jasper Skyline hike. There is one area of concern, though. I wore jeans last year and seems to be insisting on jeans again this year. I don't know how many times I've talked about the importance of leaving cotton at home, of the risks of wearing jeans in a mountain environment, etc., etc. It's become a stalemate. From various trip reports I've read about the Jasper Skyline I know that there is definite potential for rain, and sometimes snow, even in August. Though I do most of the logistical planning for theses trips, we're just a group of family and friends who go, so I'm not a guide and can't really pull rank when things come to push and shove.

I'm looking for your thoughts and opinions on what to do. Do I just let him wear what he wants and learn the hard way? I'm not opposed to that in general, but I'm thinking in terms of safety. I guess if anything did go wrong we're no more than a long day hike from either trail head, which I know could be a long time for hypothermia. But I don't think we'd be unable to get him warm again in a tent and sleeping bag and warm drinks. I don't know. Am I over-reacting? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:14 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: sharing and gaining knowledge

I would say let him come and see for himself. Remember that the early explorers and mountaineers didn't have the luxury or technology available to wear the technical clothes that we are awarded with today. By today's standards Edmund Hilary dress code for Everest climb would be totally unacceptable and not just for Everest but for any other back country activity. On the other hand their physical toughness and strength made up for their lack of equipment, well to an extent of course.

RamboandMe likes this.

“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.” - Robert Frost
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:17 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Tell him to wax his jeans, that way he can be very hipster-sh and have some waterproofing. all that aside cotton kills is the old adage pretty selfish and ignorant of him to potentially put a damper on everyones trip over pants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 09:48 AM
Summit Master

Buy your brother in law a gift for the trip - some camping trousers. How about the same brand as your favorite backpacking pants? Split the cost with others, or make it a personal purchase. If this bothers you that much - deal with it with a generous introduction to proper gear. Who knows, he might like them and continue to buy them.

It's all in how you present this gift to him.

There may be many reasons why he insists on jeans - financial, sentimental, not knowing the difference etc. don't embarrass him, just provide him with a better alternative - and peace of mind for yourself.

Have fun on your trip.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 10:40 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawallrunner View Post
Buy your brother in law a gift for the trip - some camping trousers.
Except don't give him the pants before the trip. Pack them, hope for rain and present them at the point of maximum jeans-based discomfort!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I bought him a pair. Granted, second-hand, but I'm on a tight budget myself, and that's how I buy most of my outdoor clothes. He didn't seem too enthusiastic. Oh well. I think I'll just drop the subject. If someone doesn't want to be educated I guess you can only do so much. Who knows, perhaps the weather will be fine for the full four-day trip.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I generally suggest that if a person wants to bring cotton, then they need to be more prepared to change clothing.
So if he wants to bring jeans, then have him bring an extra pair or two of pants (of whatever kind) on what you'd normally do, so that if the jeans get wet, he can switch over to something dry while giving the jeans ages to dry.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboandMe View Post
Do I just let him wear what he wants and learn the hard way?
This is the only way to learn. Otherwise, you're teaching him the herd mentality.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Yup, definitely let him learn the hard way..
alpalmer likes this.

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Clearly, he needs a pair of these. On sale too. Not many sizes left though!

http://shop.tateandyoko.com/collecti...proof-selvedge
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I'm going to let him learn the hard way. We're not going to be days and days from help. Maybe we'll have a day or two of rain for a change. I hear Jasper can be very wet and rainy, so it could be a rough couple of days for him. I won't bug him about it any more. I'm just going to plan on enjoying myself. I'm so looking forward to that trip!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:32 AM
High on the Mountain Top

For that particular hike I think you are over thinking things. If there was a major emergency a particular pair of pants won't save you. Sometimes I think people put too much stock in "quick dry". Whether my jeans are soaked or my north face quick dry pants are soaked after a day of hiking in the rain, either way I'm wet and I'm taking them off when I get in the tent. Just forget it and have a good time.
zeljkok likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 10:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
For that particular hike I think you are over thinking things. If there was a major emergency a particular pair of pants won't save you. Sometimes I think people put too much stock in "quick dry". Whether my jeans are soaked or my north face quick dry pants are soaked after a day of hiking in the rain, either way I'm wet and I'm taking them off when I get in the tent. Just forget it and have a good time.

I would agree that its being overthought. It doesn't sound like a weeks long expedition into unknown terrain. A couple of days on an established trail wont matter that much. Throw in a pair of rain pants in the pack to change into and you're good to go.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman610 View Post
I would agree that its being overthought. It doesn't sound like a weeks long expedition into unknown terrain. A couple of days on an established trail wont matter that much. Throw in a pair of rain pants in the pack to change into and you're good to go.
used to hike and do everything in cotton hiking pants i got from MEC 15years ago

thought synthetic was for performance sports, like running etc; something you do for a single day only

never did died

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page