'Dehydrated' Coke - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default 'Dehydrated' Coke

I'll be hiking the North Coast Trail in August and every morning need my glass of fizzy diet Coke for a caffeine fix as I don't drink coffee. On the West Coast Trail I was able to just carry a 3 day's supply and then re-stock at Monique's, but obviously this won't be an option on the North Coast Trail. We'll also add on an extension to the light house and San Josef, so are planning on 8 days. So, is anyone aware of a powdered drink that tastes like diet Coke and has caffeine in it? I'd really prefer not to haul a 2L bottle, but seeing how I need the stuff (and don't you try to talk me out of it :-) ), I'm looking at what my options are.

On a similar note, when I did the West Coast Trail I wanted something that tastes like orange juice and found Tang to really satisfy those cravings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 PM
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

If you just need caffeine, what about packing chocolate covered coffee beans?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

You can buy cans of coke from the lighthouse keeper at the cape, but you're hooped until that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Hittin' the Trails

http://www.nuun.com/products
Nuun tablets come in "kona cola" flavour. I can't say that they are very tasty, but they do have a watered down coke taste.

http://liquidcaffeine.com/
Haven't tried this myself, but it seems like an easy way to add caffeine to the nuun tablets. (Or any other drink for that matter).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

If you find something, let me know. I don't drink coffee or tea. I also love aspertame, so I get a double fix with a diet cola.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Great tip about being able to buy something from the lighthouse keeper. I wasn't aware of that yet.

I've read about the nuun tablets, so will stop by MEC tomorrow and try them out. It seems that if one used two tables for the amount they indicate, you'd get the same amount of caffeine as is in the diet Coke. Unfortunately the coffee beans don't just do it for me… I need the drink :-).

For me it's probably a combination of the diet Coke, carbonation, and aspartame. I just came across this backpacking carbonator bottle: http://www.patsbcb.com/how-it-works/ (makes beer too for anyone interested in that). I'd splurge on the bottle, but their drink packets seem very expensive … also not sure what this "Pomegranate Coke" is supposed to be.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

if you're dependant on caffeine so badly, you can just pack caffeine pills?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lowclimber

if you're dependant on caffeine so badly, you can just pack caffeine pills?
I could, but also love the combination with the fizz and the taste. Caffeine pills don't do all of that. Nothing like having breakfast on the beach and sipping a nice cold glass of Coke with dew on the outside :-D.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:45 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I need my coffee! Quite some time ago, I realized that insisting on hot freshbrewed good coffee with fresh whole milk was unreasonable and decided that black coffee while camping more than overnight is still far better than caffeine pills/shots/gum/any concentrated form. Any concentrated form does the caffeine fix just fine, however. The rest is just mind control, I'm just as good to go 1/2 hour after the pill, and if I can walk down the beach and back all the better.

(Diet coke in the morning is just gross, on par with tent-snoring. I'm sorry, I don't hold it against you (much), but really, can't you find a better addiction? Like my fresh-ground Bodum with whole milk? Just finished, and it was delicious. )
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Summit Master

take some Caffeine pills, followed by pop rocks
http://www.selfridges.com/en/Food-Wi...5422843-PR006/
and wash down with some water. Hmm good
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Just a thought, couldn't you just take the coke syrup and dehydrate that, then add water and use that carbinator bottle thing? I am sure you could find someone in the fast food business to get the syrup from. If all these ideas fail, get in touch with The Hiker (Russ) , as he might have some ideas for you too.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

alka-seltzer tablets and coke syrup
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Two Nuuns in a 1L Nalgene tastes way better than a Diet Coke.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:59 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

When I was a kid in the 50's there was a tablet called "fizzies" that you could drop in a glass of water to make a carbonated soft drink. I thought they were taken off the market, because too many kids were swallowing them and going into serious burp mode... but they're back http://www.fizzies.com/ They come in cola, root beer, orange and other flavours. I think they tasted awful, but I always thought coca-cola did too.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Don't count on being able to buy anything from the lighthouse keepers. We trekked up to the Lighthouse on the Sunday of the BC Day Long Weekend last year (along with a few other groups) and the lighthouse keepers were no where in sight - they were out for the day. So no pop for us.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page