'Dehydrated' Coke - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by btrenholme

Get a grip. Please!
Try to enjoy where you are. You'll soon get over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Summit Master

A few more must buy the syrup no?
maybe the 7-11 slurpy and other outlets, sure she could get a little from someone. I wonder once the bag is attached its likely on until its finished, Some sort of tamper proof device must be on there to avoid skimming product?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Hiker

Ha ha ha , you can't BUY "Coca Cola" syrup from these places that market the carbonator's.
Trust me Coke would sue their asses off and put them out of business.

MacDonald's buys our concentrated product in something called bag-in-a-box. We sell it in 10L and 20L sizes. Sorry ,they don't get it in drums. I can't give out the price but I assure you it's expensive. I'm also not at liberty to give out the ratios they use.

Hell I would go to my local MacD's, ask for the manager, tell him what you are planning. Ask if he could pour you out 1L of syrup from the Diet Coke B.I.B. (the bags in the box have a snap cap) and ask how much he would charge. In the interests of customer relations he might just do it for free.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Summit Master

Its OK
look at the thread heading, likely everyone had a little thread drift thought..

Quote:

Quote:

Get a grip. Please!
Try to enjoy where you are. You'll soon get over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

+1 for Nuun. Fizzy and hydrating.

Their Cherry Limeade might work: http://shop.nuun.com/Cherry-Limeade-Energy

They have a Cola flavor but it's curiously not caffeinated.

Let's not all start jumping on the OP for liking the taste of fizzy drinks in the morning. Everyone has their vices. Some people like tailgate beers, or greasy burgers on the drive home.

To each their own.

OP, another solution might be to lower your morning intake. Coke do a 250ml can which might work.

When I'm camping I usually drink half as much coffee in the morning as I normally would at home. I find I only really want the taste of coffee, rather than a specific amount of it.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Just the really busy places with new equipment get it in the bag-in-box style, the little local place you want still gets it in the 19L pressure kegs. Easy as anything to draw off 500 ml. 5L of wake-up at about 10:1 mix ratio, I'd guess. Maybe 8:1 if you have a tough day ahead?

Don't let anyone tell you there is anything wrong with your choice of caffeine delivery! It's still gross, but you have every right to enjoy it. It's not like tent-snoring!
post #36 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Whoa, I must have totally missed the second page of this thread.

Kobracom - The carbonator bottle you posted the link to is the one I've been debating. It comes with cola flavours that would likely do the trick, but so far I haven't found any of these in Canada. Their syrupy packets are also very expensive, so my current plan is to go with that bottle, the Sodastream syrup stuff (that I think one can buy at some home stores in Canada, Bed Bath & beyond or something like that), and get some of Pat's Backcountry Beverages activator that creates the fizz. The only thing i haven't found out yet is whether those fizz activators can only be used with their syrups, i.e., if there's some ingredient in there that makes those two work together, or if their activator will also work with the other stuff.

Didn't get around to MEC today to get the nuun tables, but those are another options.

prother - I'll look into the alibaba stuff more as the powered would seem like the easiest solution. A lot of the stuff seems to be coming from overseas, so I'm more curious about the ingredients. Then again, as you suggested, reading about how bad Coke is for someone, … ah, to heck with it. I can ditch the habit after North Coast Trail :-). But yes, I am aware of the crap that comes with this stuff, especially the aspartame, and am trying to cut back. When doing a hike like that though, a cold fizzy caffeinated drink sure gets me going though.

As for the McD's syrup, I'd really love to try it, but am actually doubtful that any manager would be willing to sell some. Of course no harm in asking, but I seriously doubt that that would work.

Just came across this … a strange video out of some guys's kitchen, but the gadget is small and portable. I need small and portable! http://www.fizzgiz.com Seems a little sketchy still, so I googled it some more and it's actually a Canadian product: http://eco-source.com/items/househol...fg1-detail.htm Anyone know where one can buy those CO2 cartridges (the food-safe kind)? Is that something that a place like Canadian tire might carry? What do people normally use these for? Looking at this, it looks more and more promising - use it with any regular bottle, dump in some SodaStream syrup and water (filtered from a water source; I am not carrying water), and fizz with a cartridge. I might be in business :-D.

So, apart from those two options I'll also try to find some Fizzy somewhere (anyone happen to know of a place in Calgary that has the stuff by any chance), mix it with nuun and water, and then I'll have a 'test week' at home. If this substitute will get me through a work week, then it should also do on trail.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Try this. Buy some alka-seltzer, let some diet coke go flat, pop an alka-seltzer in it, cap the bottle and shake. Watch the pressure doesn't go too high and for sure not a glass bottle. Let it sit a few minutes and try it. If it will do the job, talk to Apu at the friendly local quicky-mart, get some syrup and do it.
If not, forget the complications and quirky expensive devices, learn to like black coffee (skipping all the troubles I had breaking myself of the fresh whole milk thing) or buy some no-doz.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prother

When I was a kid in the 50's there was a tablet called "fizzies" that you could drop in a glass of water to make a carbonated soft drink. I thought they were taken off the market, because too many kids were swallowing them and going into serious burp mode... but they're back http://www.fizzies.com/ They come in cola, root beer, orange and other flavours. I think they tasted awful, but I always thought coca-cola did too.
I was going to comment that everyone here is so young that no one remembers fizzies. But you beat me to it. Fizzies were popular around 1960.

You're correct that they're back. I bought a variety of them couple of years ago. Not cheap. We tried a few of them but most of them are still in the cupboard. We keep forgetting to take them on trips. They taste something like diet pop.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Snowboarding, Dirtbiking, Hiking and camping

@BarbaraB,

I know for a fact you can get the syrup from Canadian Tire. I have tried many flavs, so far the cream soda, and the DR.Pepper Alternative are my favorites. I know they have one very similar to Coke as well.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote: the little local place you want still gets it in the 19L pressure kegs
Alex , where did you see these ? We haven't filled kegs or tanks in years! Might be those "other guys"

Oh and just to be clear. The Cola stuff might be close but it's not Coca Cola.
Our quality department and the Q.C. techs test the stuff every hour + we have monitors on every line. Sometimes they drive me nuts if things go out of spec. We keep everything to a very close standard for consistency.
Me, I seldom drink any pop.
I do laugh at people that say soft drinks are bad for you and start finger wagging.
Just look at the Fast Food industry , they are booming. Have you ever seen what's in that stuff !
Why last time I was at Burger King this guy was holding a 357magnum at my head telling me to get a Whopper , fries and a coke. .... Everything in moderation is the key.

What cracked me up the other day was a rather large sized woman ahead of me in the checkout line at my local store. She emptied her cart. Ice cream , chips, cookies , frozen pizza , chip dip , and 3 2L bottles of "diet pop" ! The cashier asked politely if she was planning a party . She replied "No why" ? The irony of the diet pop made me shake my head but I guess I shouldn't judge.

Boris; No big mystery. There is a hose connection that goes to the bag. One hose goes to a Co2 tank (which is food grade-we also fill these for the food chains) and a third line for water. All three lines go to the dispensing machine. The bag just has a simple cap that is pushed on to seal it.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BarbaraB

...I'll also try to find some Fizzy somewhere (anyone happen to know of a place in Calgary that has the stuff by any chance), mix it with nuun and water, and then I'll have a 'test week' at home. If this substitute will get me through a work week, then it should also do on trail.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fizzies-Rock...item2a397126df

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fizzies-Cher...item5afba6e9db

Both of these places have other flavors, but shipping is expensive and one of them won't ship to Canada.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Found another place online where you can get a 12-pack of Fizzies for about $3, but then shipping would be over $20. I don't think so. I've contacted a couple of the old time candy shops south of the city, see if they carry the stuff.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

This is the most ridiculous example of first world problems I've seen in a long time. You "need" 2 cans of coke a day? Lol.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

What's the harm?

This has been an entertaining and somewhat educational thread.
post #45 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Summit Master

Well with Google hitting all the hiking trails it's only a matter of time before "WE" solve that problem for you .
Can't have you dying of thirst can we!
I'll talk to sales & marketing and see what I can do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page