How many lbs do you average on a day hike? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to ChrisLink

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dougz

Say alpine, no scrambling (well, nothing major), this time of year?

Just weighed my pack (3 lbs?).. 25 lbs.

2L of water, camera, GPS, snowshoes + case, shell, midlayer, food, FA kit, lobster mitts, balaclava, steripen, extra socks, climbing gloves, sunglasses + case, siltarp, paracord, headlamp, firestarter, bear spray, knife, extra socks..

I know I could be more ruthless, but..

How much do you end up with, and what do you bring?
My winter ski touring pack, a 30 litre snowpulse airbag tips the scales at 18 pounds loaded for a day of skiing and the ability to live uncomfortably for a few (3)days should the need arise. this took many years of overloaded packs and documenting what I actually use, and stream lining from there. I imagine a decent summer pack would be the same weight minus the avalanche specific gear. Perhaps a suggestion is to really document what goes in to your pack and futhermore what gets used daily. over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

How much do you end up with, and what do you bring?
A base day pack with no scrambling for me would be 10 lbs or less. I'm carrying similar stuff to you.

I think you need to lay everything out on the floor and take a picture of it and upload it, there is probably a bunch of stuff you aren't mentioning that is adding trickle weight to your pack (camera case, camera strap, gps cover, stuff sacks, ziploc bags, packaging on food, filler FA kit items, knife holster... etc)

post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Summit Master

20 pounds including pack is nothing if not doing difficult scrambling or climbing, extra gear. If able to pack most necessities under 20 you are doing well.
simonc packs well equipped and is likely well below that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Quote:
quote:But I'm a big fan of having an extra flashlight.
I have one on my zipper, too, that puts out a surprising amount of light..

Quote:
quoteften times water weight can be reduced if there are rivers or creeks you know about
There was a tarn up top, but I didn't need to top up (so didn't need UV pen).

Dru: I didn't end up needing any of that cold weather gear the trip I went on yesterday (trip report up soon), but I sure wouldn't have wanted to be up there with just a t shirt and shell if things turned nasty..

Quote:
quote:What's so heavy? Is it the snowshoes?
Heaviest items: water with 1 L bottles 2.4 lbs, snowshoes - 5 lbs, Lowe Alpine 65L pack - 5 lbs, steripen (with batteries, prefilter, mesh ditty) 300g, Camera (Canon G12) 425g, GPS 200g, snowshoes - 5 lbs costco specials. bear spray - 375g, FA kit - 550g, food - 750g, Gerber big rock with sheath 250g, cold weather gear 5 lbs?

Quote:
quote: I assume you are talking about something like the six pass where you don't need axe, crampons, glacier gears and rope
Yup, read my Mt. Murrey trip report (should have it up by tonight), and you'll see what I'm talking about.. 800 to 1800m.

Quote:
quote:I think you need to lay everything out on the floor and take a picture of it and upload it, there is probably a bunch of stuff you aren't mentioning that is adding trickle weight to your pack (camera case, camera strap, gps cover, stuff sacks, ziploc bags, packaging on food, filler FA kit items, knife holster... etc)
There is filler, I'm sure.. But also stuff I don't want to compromise on (knife sheath, camera case, ziplock bags, car keys). Just too many things that can go wrong that I'd kick myself for excluding. Good idea laying it all out!

Stuff I didn't use this trip: extra batteries, FA kit (luckily), Steripen, a couple lbs of extra clothes, tarp and paracord (luckily), a couple power bars..
post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I reassembled everything I carried in my pack from last weekend and it came to 17lbs (incl snowshoes & spikes). I tend to overpack. I could've eliminated about 2.5lbs of unnecessary gear that day.

Assuming there's available water in the summer I can knock that down to 10lbs.

It's the 10lbs around my waist that I really need to eliminate. :P
post #21 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Banned

I'm around 32 lbs. But that includes 9 lbs of photography gear. I could probably get it down to 28-29 lbs, but then I'll be sacrificing comfort for a few pounds, which isn't worth to me. Oh yeah, that's my 1 night backpacking weight. Day hike is probably around 15 lbs with 9 lbs is for taking photos.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quoteay hike is probably around 15 lbs with 9 lbs is for taking photos.
6 lbs? What do you take?
post #23 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

bring a swiss army knife or leatherman instead. unless you are gutting a lot of animals a sheath knife is useless weight.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:bring a swiss army knife or leatherman instead. unless you are gutting a lot of animals a sheath knife is useless weight
I've never used it, I have to admit..
post #25 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

My day pack is set up with enough gear to see me through an unplanned night out and deal with all kinds of other contingencies. Rather than tailor the load to the trip I generally just throw in the same toiletries, 1st aid and emergency gear I take on planned multi-day trips. Clothing includes hard shell, rain pants, mid layer and even a base layer. There's even a BFK in there. I just checked and the basic kit including food and 2 litres of water is 17 lbs. Snow shoes would add 4 lbs.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
quoteay hike is probably around 15 lbs with 9 lbs is for taking photos.
6 lbs? What do you take?
Day pack, lunch, bug spray, headlamp, maybe a sweater or wind/rain jacket. Not much really. Although I don't go into alpine at this time of year, because I find the old spring snow too nasty, which ruins the whole experience. But even then, all I'd be missing is a pair of snowshoes.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

28 lbs.

First Aid Kit - 1 lb
Child Carrier plus rain cover - 7 lbs
Granddaughter - 20 lbs
post #28 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

I'll see your 20lbs and raise you 15 or so. (My Daughter is pushing 35lbs these days...).
post #29 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Depends on the dayhike and it's length/ remoteness. I for the mostpart use my Gregory Z20 pack and have maybe 10 lbs total. Since buying the Sony RX100 camera I've ditched my DSLR with extra lenses and saved several lbs there.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I'm going to see what else I could afford to lose.. Knife could go, I bet.. FA kit, maybe.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page