Advice about bears for friend - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Justa

Not true. A grizzly attacked 11 students in a group two years ago in Alaska, causing serious injuries to three of them. I also seem to remember a group of campers in Manitoba. Stephen Herrero's book " Bear Attacks, their Causes and Avoidance" was the best book I have read on the subject.
From my reading of the Alaska story they were not a tight group of 11. They had just crossed the river and the person who was attacked was the first to cross the river and had gone up ahead. The bear spray the group had was with some of the people still crossing the river. So essentially a Solo hiker was attacked and then rescued by the rest of their group.

I think that incident really identifies the need to not just be in a group but in a tight group in order to prevent incidents. If one person has gone up ahead they are at no less risk than a solo hiker.

A river crossing is a high risk location as its a food source for bears, there are a limited number of paths across, and the noise of the rivers mask hikers sounds so it easier to surprise bears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page