liners with mountaineering boots? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Off the Beaten Path

My impression is that trench foot takes a bit of time to develop. The Wikipedia, a respectable tome of medical knowledge, says "the condition can occur with as little as thirteen hours' exposure. [citation needed]"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I know two people who got it just from wearing plastic mountaineering boots for several days straight on a winter mountaineering trip, and one person who got it from wearing VBL socks in regular mountaineering boots at a moderately high elevation (3500-4000m) for three days.

It took one of those three guys THREE WHOLE MONTHS to be able to walk again.
My theory is therefore do do everything short of getting frostbitten feet to make sure I never get trench foot. And since I have sweaty feet at the best of times, that means changing inner socks frequently and never wearing VBL socks, neoprene, Goretex socks or other things that hold moisture against the foot. I don't even like to use boots with Goretex or other membranes in them.

Canyoneering is a bit of a different story since it's different water all the time rather than the same water/sweat recirculating against your skin, but even then I mostly just wear two pairs of regular wool socks and let them get wet instead of wearing neoprene.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

As with all VBL systems you need to tailor it to your own needs.

Whenever talk of substituting breathable layers for a VBL someone will inevariably mention fungal issues. If you are sweating heavily in a VBL, never venting or drying the skin for days at a time then yes it is a concern.

But most people using VBL's are venting and regulating how much they are sweating.

It has its benefits and drawbacks. My feet don't sweat that much. I've hiked in neoprene socks for an entire day (due to trudging through isothermal snow which soaked my leather boots) and I was able to dry my feet in a matter of minutes once I stopped moving. My neoprenes dried out pretty quick also.

Rather than anecdotal evidence I'll refer to someone who hikes for really long periods of time who also uses VBL systems:

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/vapor-b...y-application/

YMMV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page