LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 01:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Having Fun!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgRant

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by norona

The money raised through carbon credits does actually go into making projects more green that would otherwise be built non-green and cause more emissions.
Wow, Dave and I actually agree on something related to energy/pollution etc.

People who don't agree with the human-caused global climate change thing are becoming as scarce as members of the flat earth society.

Ignoring those outliers, those who don't like carbon credits etc. must agree we need some tools to reduce reliance on fossil fuels. I'd like to know just what these people propose to deal with the problem.

Personally, I think carbon credits are clumsy and very vulnerable to gaming and unintended consequences. Then I think the best solution is taxing fuels and energy use. But what is best done with the funds raised? You channel them to sustainable/clean alternatives and conservation. Sounds an awful lot like a carbon credit scheme.

As for the wooden stakes, despite being an annoyance, they probably are the most minor impact of heli-skiing. (Let's not be silly, no one is going to light a fire on a peak just to burn them.)

Heli ski operations tend to leave the stakes only on peaks and pickup points. Other winter motorized recreationists leave similar stakes not just on peaks, but leave hundreds of them through the subalpine.

For instance, the snowmobilers on Mt. Sproatt mark their "roads" with posts. Snowcat ski operations such as Backcountry Snowcats up near Hurley Pass also mark their routes with posts. I doubt if any of them are ever picked up. They just add more after they get buried or the next year. It's not a concern of the operators and cheerful guests of such businesses.
The ones on Sproatt are also done by cat skiing, as sledders we don't leave lath, there are a few bamboo poles they use on brohm but that is it, I agree these should be picked up each year but sledders don't carry around lath or bamboo, these are carried easily in Cats and heli's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: camping,fishing,hiking,boating,sledding,skiing & generally mucking about outdoors

"but please leave racist and xenophobic anti immigrant attacks off this website"

I speak low German as a mother tongue, I do not attack immigrants as I come from the same stock, I only point out the obvious shortcomings with the heli ski model and the most vocal proponent of this wasteful activity. Maybe the interweb police type should consider who and what they are blindly condemning, as not knowing your perceived enemy is foolish in any adversarial argument. If some of you would like to have a rational discussion on this topic, feel free to PM me and I will be glad to answer any and all inquiries in that manner.

To answer the question in the title of this thread, no it's impossible given the current mentality of these tenure operators.

post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by norona
[The ones on Sproatt are also done by cat skiing, as sledders we don't leave lath, there are a few bamboo poles they use on brohm but that is it, I agree these should be picked up each year but sledders don't carry around lath or bamboo, these are carried easily in Cats and heli's
Yeah sledders only leave behind half empty jerry cans of gasoline, beer cans, and pieces of broken snowmobiles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Rat
Headed for the Mountains

Ive been to some pretty trashed areas that are hike in only.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rodin

Mike Wiegele has been a resident of Canada since 1959 and has been a Canadian citizen for decades. "our wilderness" as you put it is as much his as it is yours and he has just as much right to be out there using it as you do.

Criticize him if you will for his business model/tenures/anti sledder campaigns, but please leave racist and xenophobic anti immigrant attacks off this website.
Well said rodin!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: keeping our backcountry beautiful.

Here are 2 links related to the Powder Mountain Catskiing garbage issue from a few years ago. Lots of pictures. Moderator locked thread and never provided me with an explanation as to why when I contacted him.

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...=Garbage,wands

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...skiing,garbage
post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Man did this topic go sideways fast.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page