Suggestions for a trail/hike to run ? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Suggestions for a trail/hike to run ?

Hi, can anyone suggest a hike that would be suitable and fun to run ?

I did Lillian/Galatea Lake last week and it was fun to run up and extremely fun to run down, can you suggest something similar ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Edit forgot to add, preferably in k-country.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: adventure racing, hiking, backpacking, climbing/bouldering, mountain biking, falling over as i learn to downhill and cross-country ski, photography

What sort of distance? Easy running or hard?

The loop around Upper Kananaskis Lake is nice to run. All 100% runable and quite flat. 15km or something I think.

Banff->Canmore (or vice versa) on the Rundle Riverside trail is nice. But you need a car shuttle (or bikes). About 18km I think.

Healy Pass -> Red Earth Creek (car shuttle) is a 100% runable loop in beautiful alpine and is about 30km or something.

They are kind of increasing in difficulty. I like loops not back-tracking hence my suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Well Lillian Lake is 14km with 400m elevation gain. I don't mind running uphill or back tracking, I will look into your suggestions, thanks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Ribbon Creek to Ribbon Falls (and back) is a little longer, but with a little less elevation gain. Good trail the whole way.

I also recommend the flat-to-rolling 16km Upper Kananaskis Lake Loop.

You can make a good run up to Elbow Lake and beyond to the Tombstone area. The trail goes for days that way, so you can really make it as long or as short as you want. It's a short steep start to the lake, and then broad and rolling.

You might enjoy a run up Buller Creek. Buller Pass is a 14km loop, 650m-ish elevation gain. A chunk of that is right at the end. so if it's a little more than you want, you can certainly get up into the valley and enjoy yourself even if you don't want to go to the pass (though it's worth it).

Lake Minnewanka is not runnable right now due to wildlife concerns, but if you're making a general list for the future, it's great from May to mid-July.

If you want to take the White Mountain Adventures bus to Sunshine Village, you can start running right up in the meadows, and make a day out of a combination of loops. If you don't want to take the bus, it's 18km and 660m of elevation gain to Healy Pass, but good parks-maintained trail the whole way.

The Moose Meadows parking lot is just west of Johnston Canyon, and its trail skips past the canyon to join up above for the route to the Ink Pots. I wouldn't do it in high season, but it's calming down right now and should be in that same range.

Wilcox Pass at the Columbia Icefields would make an awesome run if you want to go make a weekend out of it sometime. Consider Nigel Pass for the other day.

Burstall Pass off the 742 is a longer day (16km), but still under 500m gain, and is a truly awesome place. The trail to the pass is interesting, and the pass itself is the sort of place that makes you want to run around and explore.

This is a good book by a guy who knows the area and has great suggestions for now and through possible longer future endeavours. I've seen it sometimes at the Calgary MEC, and definitely at the Banff bookstore.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I have done Burstall Pass before.

I will definitely pick up that book, thanks for suggesting it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page