Top 7 Must Haves!! - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

GPS, Bic Lighters, Maps, Compass, Cell Phone, Food & Water
Bringing a cell phone in to that area is about as useful as your opinion on anything hiking related. Good to see this has turned into a 10 essentials thread *rolls eyes*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Don't forget to pack the bacon

post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

My "three essentials"

1.Food
2.Scotch
3.French girls

Not necessarily in that order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

I agree with Rachelo even though down here, they claim that even without cell service it will ping 911? Don't know how that works. It supposedly turns your phone into a beacon?
Not Bacon, Aces High

Share what you have. Don't both bring the same things. And, if you are going to test a relationship with a huge multi day hike, you mentioned 2 nights out. Is this "together" or were you not ever together out there overnight at all? If not, Try a backyard camp for fun.
Or set up in a campground and give it a test run. My wife and I tried to spend 30 days traveling across America in an SUV and stopped after 13 days. We had had enough of each other on the road side by side with all of our little annoying habits....um mine were not ahem annoying...just for the record.......you get the picture. Have fun with it. Don't set goals too high or expectations. go with the flow. Some people are night owls and hate dawn starts. Others shine in the morning. Talk it out. don't make this the trip you will always remember for the wrong reasons. Overnighters can really test a relationship.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Off the Beaten Path

[quote]quote:Originally posted by leimrod

Quote:
Originally posted by mntntime

But for a longer period like 5 days make your sleep system a higher priority than going light. It's very easy to start going "stupid light"

Whatever you need to sleep, bring.
Absolutely agree with this....have made that mistake before and rotten sleeps made the days worse than they had to be.

And yes, some luxury "real" food can help too. (as can a bag of Cheezies!)
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

2 Horses and mule, 3 bridles and 2 saddles, 4 1/2 steaks each and fixings, rifle and ammo, canvas tent and rope, air tight stove, 5 pound axe and cross cut saw, compass and map.

A horse each and a mule to pack all the luxury stuff. You can go light and use only one horse, very cozy, very sexy.
Enough steaks and fixings for each day and you should only need a half steak each for lunch on the last day.
When the vicious wild animals smell your steaks they will want some or all of it. Blast any thing from chipmunks to grizly bears. Watch out for those nasty, sneaky snafflehounds. They are fearless, smart and can steal your underware off you if you are not holding on to it well taking a dump.
Nioe roomy ten by twelve canvas tent, anything else is going too, too light and the rope to throw all the gear in it and tie to the pack mule with square knots.
Nice big 20 cubic meter air tight stove with no pipes, the smoke will find it's way out of the tent pipe hole when it fills the tent up and chases out the squitters. Nice large axe for making kindling and a cross cut saw to cut through those large 20cm log branches.
Compass and map in case you loss that great big horse trail and have to find your way bushwacking through thick alders, cliff bluffs and big deep gullies.

Oh, this is for hiking. How stupid of me.
Well now, the seven most important stuff to bring well hiking:
A multi-use bra that does not ride up and can be used for a cup, pot or water container, or you can use the breathable type and use as gas mask in case of forest fire and to much smoke in area or at night if you build a fire.
Bakini for personal hygiene of dayly baths in nice cold tarns.
Bic lighter to use as 2 second flashlight by flicking the bic and flint light after the gas is used up.
Duct tape for flagging so you can find your way back and it has other uses such as taping your boyfriend up so he does not bother you during the night so you can sleep good.
All the right pills, cocaine, speed, tylenol with codeine, birth control, and the right vitamins to take the place of food.
Some one who knows where he is going. If the boy friend doesn't, discard him and get a girl friend, they have a better sense if direction since they get a lot of practise dodging guys.
One of those do hickies that I call help find me gadgets so you can get a nice helicopter ride out of the wilderness when you feel you don't want to hike any farther.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, camping, just being outside..

Cellphone? Really? [)]

Rockwall......well healthy knees would be a good start and some hiking poles.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Flip flops for the campsite!
post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

I did my first 5 day trip last Summer and worked off this list I found on the MEC website:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary...gChecklist.jsp

Happy trails!
post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I am going to have to disagree with Steventy and say personal hygiene is not that important.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

1. A nice tent. Must be lightweight, sturdy, and able to weather a good storm. It always rains when I go into the woods.
2. A good sleeping bag. Being cold sucks.
3. A good sleeping pad. Good sleep is important.
4. A pillow. Sweaters, balled up jackets... no thanks. I'll pack my Thermarest pillow and have a dreamy night.
5. Titanium spork. Because it's awesome.
6. Some IPA or maybe a bottle of Cab Franc (sans glass).
7. A bad ass knife.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Quote:
quote: I am going to have to disagree with Steventy and say personal hygiene is not that important.
I suppose that depends if you want to still have a boy/girlfriend when you return...otherwise some wet wipes go along way
post #28 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

My "three essentials"

1.Food
2.Scotch
3.French girls

Not necessarily in that order.
Just catching up on this thread. Well planned, John
post #29 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Summit Master

Some feel taking a cellphone on the Rockwall hike is dumb. I don't think it's that simple.

For one, you probably have the phone along for the drive from home. Leaving it in the car encourages theft from cars, and it's not much to carry with you. Unless you're doing an out-and-back hike, which is unlikely on the Rockwall, it may be very useful as you make your way back to your car.

This hike can be done safely without a gps or more than a rudimentary map. However, if you have a cellphone set up for offline gps use, it could be very handy.

If the phone has a good camera, you can save weight by leaving a camera at home.

In appropriate circumstances, using the phone's mp3 function to listen to music can be very enjoyable in the mountains.

And for a change, let's not bother with all the usual arguments about battery life, what if it breaks etc.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgRant

Some feel taking a cellphone on the Rockwall hike is dumb. I don't think it's that simple.
For one, you probably have the phone along for the drive from home. Leaving it in the car encourages theft from cars, and it's not much to carry with you. Unless you're doing an out-and-back hike, which is unlikely on the Rockwall, it may be very useful as you make your way back to your car.
This hike can be done safely without a gps or more than a rudimentary map. However, if you have a cellphone set up for offline gps use, it could be very handy.
If the phone has a good camera, you can save weight by leaving a camera at home.
In appropriate circumstances, using the phone's mp3 function to listen to music can be very enjoyable in the mountains.
And for a change, let's not bother with all the usual arguments about battery life, what if it breaks etc.
Mostly, people thought that suggesting a cellphone as one of the important must-haves was dumb. It appeared to be a lack of understanding that there is no service on the Rockwall, and thus a cut-and-paste from what might be considered basic gear elsewhere is not so in Kootenay.
It is absolutely not a basic can't-do-without item on the Rockwall.
As for its assets, sure, they could be reasons why you might bring a pocket computer along even though its cellphone radio is useless, but that did not appear to be why the poster mentioned it, which is why it was ridiculed.

Just wanting to not leave it in the car isn't really a reason to suggest bringing it, and thankfully, we have a lot less of a theft issue in the Rockies, so even if not the most advisable, it isn't uncommon for people to leave a cell in their car. As for getting back to your car (assuming you have to hitch back or something and don't have two cars), it's been a bit, but I'm not sure there's service on the road. If so, it's pretty new. There's service in Banff and Radium, but I'm not sure they've set up the highway in between. A lot of possible locations here, the phone is useless halfway into your drive (as I imagine is not uncommon out west either.

The other features might be reasons you would decide to bring your pocket-computer-that-makes-calls, but not really an argument for it being a basic item.
You need to be satisfied with pretty low-quality camera/GPS for it to really replace those items.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page