Flagging... Pollution? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I think flagging with become obsolete as handheld GPS units become more common, so I don't think it's really something to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Scaling New Heights

Whatever, i have been hiking about 4 or 5 years now, my pals and I are quite busy but we are generally able to get out for 1 weekend trip per year. We like to go to different places, some less travelled. If flagging will help me then great, moving forward I will flag the "route" so other people who are only able to get out once or twice per year can find their way as well.

Flagging routes has been around for a long long time best to get used to it cause it's not going anywhere.

we carry a compass and map of the area, but if the established route is way overgrown and not very established anymore are you saying it is better to create a new route so over time you have all these differnt groups navigating their own way trampling the ground
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Wouldn't worry about what Kevin (mntntime) says. I doubt he's had experience bushwhacking where flagging really helps. His only purpose on this forum seems to be to try and get into arguments so he can make himself feel so much more experienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marko

Wouldn't worry about what Kevin (mntntime) says. I doubt he's had experience bushwhacking where flagging really helps. His only purpose on this forum seems to be to try and get into arguments so he can make himself feel so much more experienced.
Whatever jong, Calgary boy has no clue what real bushwacking is. Yes, I have spent plenty of time bushwacking in coastal crap. And FYI, I have never claimed to be anything.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marko

I think flagging with become obsolete as handheld GPS units become more common, so I don't think it's really something to worry about.
Using GPS instead of spatial navigation strategies has been shown to make your brain shrink and reduce your memory

http://www.dailytech.com/Study+GPS+U...ticle20169.htm

It may well be that hanging a load of coloured ribbons from trees does the same thing.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:04 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

I like to unspool a golden thread behind me whenever I step out the front door.

That after the unfortunate incident when I used just bread crumbs.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Dru, I would bet that's not a study of GPS use while hiking, but rather GPS use while driving. I would assume reducing any sort of activity where we use spatial orientation and memory would increase risks for cognitive diseases. Interestingly, I've found that while loading the GPS track and trying to understand the terrain using 3d models and various map overlays, I get a much better spatial orientation.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Snowshoe, mountain bike, hike, camping

As far as GPS, I will most likely never use it for hiking. I think bushwhacking is gonna have to be the option since flagging is too sparse. If at least there would be flags on very unpopular routes and at least in specific spots where there could be confusion.

Navigation skills aren't everything when the trails are long and wavy and you need to hike up and down a few mountains and the route options are not infinite. I am rather excellent at navigation when it comes to hiking but my problem would be to have to cut the shit out of nature to get to where I want to go (but I'm not a hipppppyyy maaaannn, I do when I have to for shortcuts).

Intelligent and minimal flagging could be a great option?
post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Quote:
quote: In my opinion, flagging is quite important (to me) for a few reasons like easier access to the peak
Quote:
quote: I make it back and forth but it's just that sometimes it would be much easier to have a little help like flagging when you're not use to a certain trail and the option of bushwhacking is hard.
YUUUUUUUP welcome to the coast....sometimes theres flagging and no trail...whats up with that

Go to Europe, trails are spoon fed to you

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3224/2...2f3ff30232.jpg

for some reason I cant link to my own pic....with img tags...I get an error
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 604dave

Whatever, i have been hiking about 4 or 5 years now, my pals and I are quite busy but we are generally able to get out for 1 weekend trip per year. We like to go to different places, some less travelled. If flagging will help me then great, moving forward I will flag the "route" so other people who are only able to get out once or twice per year can find their way as well.
Perhaps the fact that it will help you, and you presume, others like you, is not necessarily justification for marking the natural environment?

Does it occur to you, that going out once a year for 4 years may mean your level of expertise is not yet fully developed?

Perhaps a better aspiration would be to become knowledgeable and proficient enough to be one of the people who doesn't require flagging at these places, and in the meantime, accept that you may not have the necessary skills to do these routes, and simply enjoy what you can do, and involve yourself in the learning process.

Quote:

Flagging routes has been around for a long long time best to get used to it cause it's not going anywhere.
This of course, is nonsensical....no justification at all.

Quote:

we carry a compass and map of the area, but if the established route is way overgrown and not very established anymore are you saying it is better to create a new route
If the established route is truly so overgrown that you cannot find it, even with good background knowledge of the area, I doubt it matters much if you create a new route.

Quote:

so over time you have all these differnt groups navigating their own way trampling the ground
Well, you just said you were talking about places "less travelled", so I doubt prolific traffic is a worry. If more people do go there, and they are as conscientious as you, they will take the route as it becomes more clear.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Cave dwelling sucks when you have miles of yarn and colored thread going down each and every passageway. You're supposed to pay out the thread on your way down the labyrinth of passageways and then, your lazy hide is supposed to gather it back up on the way out. Not leave miles of yarn in the cave. Same with flagging. If you're going up and back out the same way? This is YOUR breadcrumb. You put it up there, You take it down again on the way out. Why leave your waste. Like we really care for one another to help the next person?
Yeah right. I live in America. Doesn't happen. Most people won't even make eye contact when you meet them on the trail. So, why be "helpful" for another person who you don't even know? If so, I have a kidney list you can sign up on...hehe Bad day at work....
post #27 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rented Mule

Cave dwelling sucks when you have miles of yarn and colored thread going down each and every passageway. You're supposed to pay out the thread on your way down the labyrinth of passageways and then, your lazy hide is supposed to gather it back up on the way out. Not leave miles of yarn in the cave. Same with flagging. If you're going up and back out the same way? This is YOUR breadcrumb. You put it up there, You take it down again on the way out. Why leave your waste. Like we really care for one another to help the next person?
Yeah right. I live in America. Doesn't happen. Most people won't even make eye contact when you meet them on the trail. So, why be "helpful" for another person who you don't even know? If so, I have a kidney list you can sign up on...hehe Bad day at work....
LOL, love it. Touche.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rented Mule

Cave dwelling sucks when you have miles of yarn and colored thread going down each and every passageway. You're supposed to pay out the thread on your way down the labyrinth of passageways and then, your lazy hide is supposed to gather it back up on the way out. Not leave miles of yarn in the cave. Same with flagging.
Also brings up that point about too much flagging, too many cairns...it can be counterproductive. How many times do we hear: followed the WRONG flagging. I think if you're going to endorse it, it should be formal flagging put by an authority. In other words...official signposts. If everyone just assumes they are helping by putting up flagging...not only can it become a mess, in busy areas, nobody knows what flagging leads where, and what the heck is going on. I shudder to think some people rely on that. I think it's usually best to assume the flagger had no idea what he was doing...because he might not have!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page