Is there drinking water at alder flats - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Is there drinking water at alder flats

2 of us are hiking golden ears tommorow (sunday) on the west canyon trail. Thinking of camping on the way back. Is there water (that needs to be filtered) at alder flats.

thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

there is a creek. I've seen it dried before up but probably still has wather now.

worst case if there is no water you'd know on the way up. and would have to get more up higher from snow melt on the way down.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

thanx! ill post pics of the hike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

When it is flowing, I doubt you even need to filter it. It's delicious. I don't know how experienced you are at hiking, but most people don't make the peak and back to the flats in a day. If that happens there's a rock gully of glacial run off about an hour from the peak, above the tree line that can be easily accessed. Mind you, last time I was up there I was 12, but I imagine it is still there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I've seen the creek dry in the morning and then running full out in the afternoon with snow melt. Should be no problem for water. Looking forward to the photos.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by woodyacat

I've seen the creek dry in the morning and then running full out in the afternoon with snow melt. Should be no problem for water. Looking forward to the photos.
Noticed that as well. Several years ago did a morning walk up and along the creekbed, it had hard dry sections and sections of water flow above the gravel. Upon my return in afternoon; water level had gone up more than a foot at Alder Flats, and I had to bushwhack around a spots above the creekt to get back.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

It was a great hike!
2.5 hrs to alder flats. Set up camp just by the outhouse in an open field area. Samosas are a
great lunch by the way (veggie). Took us 3 hrs to get to panorama ridge from the flats. Man! i underestimated this hike. awsome views! alot of ppl coming down around 12-1ish from the ridge.
We only made it to the ridge (started at 10:30) but i would go back again in a second. It was great! There was water at Alder flats, but none between there and the ridge. But the glacial run-off! oh that water was fantastic! I do agree with someones trip report in june. The bugs are
unrelenting! Just keep on moving!

Ill post pics but im one of those few who still take pictures with film.

Hike this trail!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

There are two things I never forgot about Golden Ears: The mice and the flies. No one warned me about the flies above the treeline. I remember walking out of the forest up that flat of rock and there was a visible ceiling of flies above me that I walked up into. You literally eat and breathe those little flies.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page