Sleeping bags - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Sleeping bags

Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on a good sleeping bag for backpacking, I would like something with good quality and won't fall apart such as waterproof lining wearing off like I've heard happen on some bags. Cost is not an issue because I dont mind spending for good quality gear that will last a long time. I also would like it to be warm so I could use it for any season.
Now, for the loaded question, down or synthetic? I know down is far more pack able but in the climate around here it's quite damp so I'm not sure if there's some magic technology with synthetic material these days that's as good as down but I thought I would ask.
I've looked at marmot col me brain.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

Marmot Plasma is good!

If you have some spare time see this research here on Mammut site:
http://www.mammut.ch/en/sleepingsystems_guide.html

If

Quote:
quote:Cost is not an issue because I dont mind spending for good quality gear that will last a long time.
this could be good for you:
http://www.valandre.com/eng/Sleeping...lafayette.html

This will be my 4 season bag eventually:
http://www.valandre.com/eng/Sleeping...gs/mirage.html

but I don't think Mirage will match all your criteria ...

In winter here Mirage could be on the border of being up all night even with good pad and overbag. My overbag is Pieps bivy bag and it's very tiny but my sleeping pad is very warm.

http://pacoutdoor.com/sleeping-pads/view/peak-oyl-elite
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

If mec is your regular shopping spot you can try renting some of the bags to try out.
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary...leepingBag.jsp

You have have to decide what your goals for the bag are.
-multiday trips(summer winter)
-weight
-compressibility
- temperature range

As if your heading out in extreme winter trips with a -20,-30 bag it's going to suck balls in summer. So you really have to decide the temperature ranges you will be using it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wheeler

Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on a good sleeping bag for backpacking, I would like something with good quality and won't fall apart such as waterproof lining wearing off like I've heard happen on some bags. Cost is not an issue because I dont mind spending for good quality gear that will last a long time. I also would like it to be warm so I could use it for any season.
Now, for the loaded question, down or synthetic? I know down is far more pack able but in the climate around here it's quite damp so I'm not sure if there's some magic technology with synthetic material these days that's as good as down but I thought I would ask.
I've looked at marmot col me brain.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Your post seems a bit too vague to me to give much of an answer...not even sure where "here" is!

As to magic synthetic tech...I will say I love my North Face Fission...seems like a REALLY under-the-radar, great bag....at least as a super lightweight bag, highly compressible.... backpacker says it is the Holy Grail of synthetics....and while it doesn't match Down's warmth, it's not too far behind, while also coming close in weight and compressibility.

It's not warm enough to work for you year-round, but the point is, some of the newest synthetics are getting very good.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.

DOWN
DOWN
DOWN
DOWN
DOWN

I've had both and there's no contest, even in damp climates.

I can recommend the MEC pharaoh series. I have a -7 and -12 and they are both warm and durable. The -7 is fantastic for summer backpacking on the coast. the -12 will stretch to 2-3 seasons.
I've used the -7 for well over a hundred bag nights. no visible wear!

Benoit
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gyppo

DOWN
DOWN
DOWN
DOWN
DOWN

I can recommend the MEC pharaoh series. I have a -7 and -12 and they are both warm and durable. The -7 is fantastic for summer backpacking on the coast. the -12 will stretch to 2-3 seasons.
I've used the -7 for well over a hundred bag nights. no visible wear!

Benoit
Not any more. Climashield Apex has been EN teted to be essentially the same warmth as 750 rated down but is hydrophilic. It also compresses exactly the same.

For longer trips in damp enviroments, a down bag will accumulate moisture from your body and begin to collapse. It slowly loses its warmth. This is evidenced by the fact you need a -7 bag for summer coast treks just to maintain warmth.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Too many to list.

Quote:

I also would like it to be warm so I could use it for any season.
A single bag that's suitable for all seasons doesn't exist.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 05:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gyppo

DOWN
DOWN
DOWN
DOWN
DOWN

I can recommend the MEC pharaoh series. I have a -7 and -12 and they are both warm and durable. The -7 is fantastic for summer backpacking on the coast.
I don't think MEC makes the pharaoh anymore. There were some great clearance deals on it.

You might be surpised by some of the synthetics though if you haven't tried the newer ones. As Family Guy pointed out, they're started to get right there with down.

Your -7 pharoah and my Fission are rated the same, probably compress almost exactly the same, and probably are not far off in warmth. I won't claim it will match 750 down, but it shocked me. The Pharaoh is actually a couple hundred grams heavier....I would guess that I could bring an ultra light down sweater, come in even at weight, and at least match your bag!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thank you for the great advice,I definetely have some research to do. I am leaning on a 800 fill down bag.

I love this site, so much experienced advise from people who actually know what their talking about.. Thanks again
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Note that down filled bags must be stored loose. If you leave the bag compressed for a few months, the feathers get crushed to a fine powder and the bag will be ruined. (Loose = garbage bag sized storage between trips). If you look after it, it will probably outlive you.

I still have my first down bag, purchased in 1973. My nephew uses it for winter trips.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

If you want quality buy either Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matt

Quote:

I also would like it to be warm so I could use it for any season.
A single bag that's suitable for all seasons doesn't exist.
This is what I was thinking. A true four season bag would be intolerable on even chilly summer nights. If money is no object, western mountaineering is the best reviewed bags I know. But we are talking serious cash there ($700-1000). If you live on the wet coast, I STRONGLY recommend you bear the extra weight and bulk of synthetic. As has been mentioned here, the air is moist, you are moist and eventually it accumulates in the down and makes it a useless wet sheet. There are some nice synthetics out there (mountain hardwear makes a decent one known as the lamina) that are fairly light with good heat ratings.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Summit Master

I have an 20 year old down bag that I use all seasons all mountain ranges, including the west Coast. On very cold trips, I add a light overbag. So, it is very easy to have a single bag that does all seasons.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Sort of like dressing, layers. I go with a lighter bag then needed with a bag liner inside. Flannel or silk depending on if I want more warmth or less. Then an event bivy bag to keep out moisture. One thing no one mentioned was fit, winter camping entails long hours in the bag. Make sure you can move freely in the bag or you will suffer.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Too many to list.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by weedWhacker

Note that down filled bags must be stored loose. If you leave the bag compressed for a few months, the feathers get crushed to a fine powder and the bag will be ruined. (Loose = garbage bag sized storage between trips). If you look after it, it will probably outlive you.

I still have my first down bag, purchased in 1973. My nephew uses it for winter trips.
If you don't store you synthetic bag loose it will lose must of its lost and insulation value as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page