Cold food for camping - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Hard boiled eggs. Great snack to have in the first day or two.

Another fav of ours is rice cakes, with cheese, tomato, and cukes or avocado on top. Also great with stone wheat thins.

But I agree with an earlier poster - as good as some cold foods are, having hot food and drink on a longer trip is a must.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bry

Trail mix is another option.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Blucruisin

...with either foil pouch tuna or chicken.
Just wondering, where do you buy those foil pouches? I've never been able to find any...
Yesterday I found this foil pouch tuna in new Walmart in PoQo
post #33 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Fishing,4x4ing,backpacking, skiing/snowboarding.

You could always cook over a fire if you don't want to bring a stove

It sounds to me like the weight off all this cheese and bread would be more than the weight of a good stove and some dehydrated meals[?]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 01:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks for some great food ideas as we are sorting out a week's worth of backcountry food today.

Out staple for a no cook lunch on the trail is a bagel with peanut butter and raisins and slices of apple. Apples are relatively heavy and take up some space but are a real treat for us, more so then their dried equivalent - usually have a fight over who gets the core
post #35 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I see both suggested already but I'll second cold cereal and Carnation Instant Breakfast, both with powdered milk. These are a staple for me on multiday hikes and only require one container (I use my large Nalgene and just shake everything together) and a spoon (optional). If you're really anal you can crush cereal to reduce bulk but I don't really enjoy eating cereal as a mush. You can also add a shot of protein powder to your CIB. I usually drink one in the morning and one before bed.

If you're new to powdered milk make sure you practice to get the right ratio before you leave. If you mix it too strong it tastes really salty which will kill your appetite.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quick questions relating to this:

Where can I snag some of those individual sized packages of pancake syrup, jam, honey etc.?

Any stores carry such or should I have breaky at I-Hop tomorrow and fill my pockets? [}]
post #37 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pathfinder

Quick questions relating to this:

Where can I snag some of those individual sized packages of pancake syrup, jam, honey etc.?

Any stores carry such or should I have breaky at I-Hop tomorrow and fill my pockets? [}]
Amazon offers "individual packets" of many different items. I see jelly, nutella, mayo, etc. but you do have to buy large quantities. perhaps IHOP would help you out with a smaller quantity purchase if you bought some "cakes".
post #38 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Scaling New Heights

2 to 3 cold tall cans(Peroni's if I'm buying) keeps things interesting on those overnighter trips. Well worth the extra effort!
post #39 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exscape

Google: sweet potato bark.
[^][^] Great find! Gonna make another batch tonight. Thank you!
post #40 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.

A lot of foods will actually keep for several days. Veggies keep for a couple of days easily, I bring mozzarella (the ball type) on almost every trip and have kept it for a week without any problems. Other dry cheeses keep forever. Dry salami is excellent and keeps for days even in the summer. Pepperoni, jerky, canned chicken (although the weight of the can negates the weight advantage you're after). Bagel or cheese bun, dried hummus, cucumber, pepper is great. Instant pudding and powdered milk at night (mix the milk first; add powder and keep tasting until you get the milk right, then add pudding mix and beat). tube of nutella or peanut butter and bread in the morning. Pop tarts for breakfast.

I always bring a stove but I've found that on days where I have a formal lunch (usually cheese bread with canned ham, cheese, salami etc), I'm not that hungry at dinner and often skip it in favor of snack food.

I bring stuff from the Superstore called "lime surprise mix" from the bulk section. I can eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

B

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page