ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Hiking and Backpacking (https://forums.clubtread.com/11-hiking-backpacking/)
-   -   Hanging Lake (https://forums.clubtread.com/11-hiking-backpacking/37708-hanging-lake.html)

Rain Man 06-03-2011 10:07 PM

Hanging Lake

Its been a while since I have been on this site so I'm a little out of the loop as to what has been happening. Last year I was in the Chilliwack lake eco reserve and came upon a new trail on the west side of the upper Chilliwack River. The trail head starts at the far south-west corner of the lake and went south almost to where the hanging lake creek comes down into the upper chilliwack River. Here it ended with a jerry can and a ax. Just wondering who/which group took on this most excellent endeavor (I assume to create a new trail to hanging lake, or at least the bush bowl) and how far along is it now? I wouldn't mind going up to Hanging Lake some time in Aug. and plan on useing this new tail,at laest as a starting point. Many thax to whom ever is responsable.

BillyGoat 06-03-2011 10:10 PM

Hey good to see you poking back here on CT again! This new trail is news to me; does it connect to the original Hanging Lake Trail on that side? I imagine this new trail must hug the mountainside alot closer to avoid the marshy areas.

Rain Man 06-03-2011 11:02 PM

Hey BiilyGoat, great to hear from you; yes I'm still alive. The trail does Hug the west side of the mountain pretty close with some elovation gain, I was just out for the day when I stumbled upon it. I had crossed to the west side of the Upper Chilliwack river close to where one can see the Hanging lake valley; I just started to scout around and see if I could find the original trail and thought maybe this was part of it (but it was way above the marsh) but then it came to an abrupt end with only a gas can and an ax. I thought for sure that Club Tread was behind or aware of this. I've been to upper and lower H.L. vie radium, Mcdonald, and Lyndemen, and then on down, as well I've gone the 'up and over'way from center creek. I have never started out from the eco valley and would like to. I want to fish that lake from a float tube and with this gear i want the least elev. possable; I'm sure it will have the best fishing ever. It sure would be nice to had a defined trail right to the lake for all hard core enthusiests.

ShadowChaser 06-03-2011 11:19 PM

There was someone on CT talking about building a trail out that way a few years back. Can't remember who though.

Dru 06-05-2011 09:34 PM

What kind of wild man would build a trail in a crazy place like that?

Aqua Terra 06-05-2011 09:38 PM

Wall eh?
Leimrod said they used a partial trail to gain the bowl, maybe search for their posts.

keadyn 06-05-2011 11:40 PM

Being that it's part of a park..... unlikely people are going to put themselves in a legal situation.

2X DRU

Ling has some really good fishing too

Rain Man 06-06-2011 01:28 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the trail is just ouside the eco rederve on the far west side skirtig the mountain.

troutbreath 06-06-2011 09:17 AM

We went up there in the 80s and fished. Don't expect anything too big. At the time they had the young offenders working on the trail so it was fairly easy to follow. But a long way for tiny fish. Better off going to Pearce lake as weve caught 4 pounders out of there. Or Flora either one is about the same hike.

Rain Man 06-06-2011 12:09 PM

I heard it was in the 80's when they stocked the lake, so I would imagine they have gotten a little bigger (barring winter kill). Did you fish off the shore? I'm hoping to get out in a float tube and fish as deep as I can. Who knows, there may be some prize winners down there. Anyways, it just adds to the fun of getting to fish a lake that not many people get to.

troutbreath 06-06-2011 02:42 PM

We did fish from shore as there is lots of places to cast from. We had heard of these huge fish in that lake which is a major reason why we went up there. I caught some on a carrot believe it or not. They seemed to be starving because they went for whatever hit the water. I have fished lots of the local mountain lakes and have seen this before. The fish that survive are the smallest ones because of lack of a food source. Unlike Pearce which seems to have the giggest trout of any of the local high elevation lakes. Beautiful spot though so you can't bitch about the scenery. Who knows if you get out deeper there could be some lunkers in there.

BillyGoat 06-06-2011 03:11 PM

Trail or not you will still have to contend with the mighty bushbowl to get to the lower lake via the Eco reserve. The only remnants of the original trail in that part is through the Island of Trees.
I've heard Pierce has good size fish and have seen some big ones jumping in there. Yes Ling has alot of brookies and rainbows but nothing all that big; at least from shore.

MatthewBaldwin 06-06-2011 05:14 PM

I was up there last year and the bush bowl was gnarly.. Not worth it.. Wouldn't do it again.

Dru 06-06-2011 05:15 PM

Still waiting for the Tingle Lake trail to get this kind of internet attention.

Aqua Terra 06-06-2011 08:12 PM

We didn't even take the bait for that one! [:p]

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Dru

Still waiting for the Tingle Lake trail to get this kind of internet attention.