Small, Light, Emergency food - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Small, Light, Emergency food

In my pack, I try to keep as many of the essentials as possible in their own waterproof case. The idea being I can throw this small package in and know I have some of the main essentials. Many of these serve as backups to the main ones carried by me/the group (e.g. the small knife serves as a backup to my Leatherman, first aid kit is not the main one, kindling isn't for day to day use).

So far I have:
  • 2.5cm knife
  • Small compass,
  • Whistle
  • Button Light
  • First Aid Kit (small)
  • Space Blanket
  • Waterproof Matches
  • Firestarter Flint and Striker
  • Kindling
  • Candle
  • Handwarmers
... all in a waterproof case about 1 litre big (could be used as a water carrier)

So far I know that I need to add water purification tablets and some food.

Does anyone have any suggestions on small food, perhaps no bigger than two granola bars stacked on top of each other, that can do for sustenance in an emergency, and lasts a very long time (granola bars go off too quick) and is not sensitive to heat, cold or moisture (chocolate melts or gets difficult to eat for example).

So far I'm thinking beef jerky in vacuum packs?

Again, this won't be the only emergency food I would carry, I would still go out with an additional day of food, extra water and clothing by routine. This is kind of a back up to the backup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hard candy lasts forever as it's pretty much pure sugar (pure energy), and it's delicious to boot. No nutrition to it beyond calories, but for an emergency it might be enough.

I read somewhere you need glucose to metabolize body fat (or any fat), so a bit of carbohydrate might help to unlock the extra calories you're already carrying with you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

Can of sardines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Scaling New Heights

If you're talking calorie density, i.e., the most calories per ounce, then such near all-fat things like olive oil or butter are hard to beat. But if you want something a little more palatable and convenient, and something for emergency/backup, mixed nuts are hard to beat and a bit more nutritious.

To reduce their bulk for compact carrying, put 'em in a chopper and whale away...

FB
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Bouillon cubes can be used to make a warm cup of soup and will last for ages.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Power bars. They do get harder with time (lots of time) but remain nutritional. Cycle them out of the emergency pack every six months or so, or just let them go stale. In a real emergency you won't care.
Or the nuts idea, and same about cycling them out.
I hope "kindling" actually means a small sealed can of Sterno. Actual wood kindling is heavier, bulky, subject to wet and not as effective.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I have an emergency food bar that have carried with me for many years. It has ossified into a lump of something that more resembles amber. It's a sesame seed bar that I bought, maybe 20 years ago and has been up just about every summit I have. This is my last resort emergency food resort,to break a tooth on. I figure the day I have to eat it is the day I have to quit mountaineering.

Peter
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Kindling is actually Coughlan's Emergency Tinder http://j.mp/htbrbn

Have also found these Emergency Food Bars http://j.mp/f3CGMV from a US seller.. wondering if they are too volumeous for my needs though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Those emergency food bars are mostly flour, hence larger and heavier for the calorie content. Nice and durable though.
Mixed nuts are about as good as it gets except for the shelf-life aspect.
You want density and high fat content, none of that fluffy palatability. Edible rocks with no flavour or fibre! Emergency use only. I still think that on a practical basis power bars might be a good choice, easy to obtain, easy to refresh in the pack twice a year, well packaged, tough and dense. If only they made a high-fat version...

Or make your own real pemmican perhaps. That's pretty tough and calorie-dense. Equal parts dried meat or jerky, dried fruit and rendered animal fat (lard), pounded into a paste. Wrapped without air in a double small ziplock bag it'll last for years. Be sure both meat and fruit are really dry, moisture will reduce shelf-life. Would probably work out to around 6-7 calories/gram.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thinking a couple of power bars are the winner... possibly power bars AND pemican.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alexcanuck

Those emergency food bars are mostly flour, hence larger and heavier for the calorie content. Nice and durable though.
Mixed nuts are about as good as it gets except for the shelf-life aspect.
You want density and high fat content, none of that fluffy palatability. Edible rocks with no flavour or fibre! Emergency use only. I still think that on a practical basis power bars might be a good choice, easy to obtain, easy to refresh in the pack twice a year, well packaged, tough and dense. If only they made a high-fat version...

Or make your own real pemmican perhaps. That's pretty tough and calorie-dense. Equal parts dried meat or jerky, dried fruit and rendered animal fat (lard), pounded into a paste. Wrapped without air in a double small ziplock bag it'll last for years. Be sure both meat and fruit are really dry, moisture will reduce shelf-life. Would probably work out to around 6-7 calories/gram.
Pemmican or something similar is definitely the way to go if you are looking for most calories per unit of weight. Fat is twice the calories per gram as carbohydrates or protein. It is very nutritious and lasts for many years. Aside from the dryness, high fat content is also imperative for shelf life, properly made it could last 15-20 years wrapped in some plastic wrap. Also watch out for the dried fruit, too much of it can seriously reduce the shelf life too. Fat is more nutritious than we are led to believe, if it is healthy fat like naturally raised and fed animal fat, olive oil, coconut oil ect... Also if you use the dried fruit the fat will really help you absorb the nutrients optimally. Modern science has just not come up with anything that can beat it. Taste takes some getting used to, but could be more palatable at first with some salt and seasonings, it traditionally did not have any. I use it for probably 90% of my mealtime calories on multi day hikes/runs. A pound of pemmican is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 4000 calories depending on fat to protein ratio. I never consume more than that, actually more like 2/3 of a pound because I take in a lot of calories while running in Clif Shot Blocks.

You can eat it raw, fry it up, or you can use it to make soups. An easy to make simple soup is throw it in a cup or pot with water and some devil's club roots that have had the very outer layer peeled off cut in chunks and boil it, then throw in some young shoots of devil's club. Devil's club is also said to be superior to insulin for type 2 diabetics because it can be ingested rather than injected, and is said to be similarly effective. BC First Nations groups have used it for thousands of years to treat a wide range of ailments, and it is obviously easy to get. There are some questions to its toxicity but they are only assumed based on studies that show it to be extremely effective in many different ways, none have been proven but there is limited research. I would say its not a big deal in an emergency situation, in moderation its certainly not going to kill you. There are many other edible plants readily available that could be substituted.

If you are near ocean you could use some oysters or clams and seaweed. Boil water with the pemmican and seaweed, then once it starts a rolling boil throw the shellfish in until they just open. Throw away any that don't open. Of course you should have a saltwater fishing license if its not a serious emergency situation but its only about $23 a year to collect shellfish, and you have to research the are you are going first as to whether it will be safe. But anyone can catch an oyster, at least when the tide is low! Unfortunately this they're not safe to eat in the whole Lower Mainland and Squamish area. But they are on the Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island, if its not Red Tide.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Banned

- Moose Goo: http://www.walksomewhere.com/2010/06...-moosegoo.html
- Landjaeger
- ditto on the Bouillon cube(s)

post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Scaling New Heights

Take a close look at the 'power' and 'energy' bars. They are convenient, some have a shelf-life but few if any deserve the adjective 'power' or 'energy'. Most, if not all, have average, run-of-the-mill, calorie density, i.e., calories per ounce. The bars might fill you up but the energy needed in an emergency/harsh situation is lacking.

IMHO, there are many, better food alternatives that are much cheaper.

Put another way, for the most part, 'power' bars are a marketing gimmick. IMO.

FB
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

In regards to the waterproof case, what are you using?

Ideally you want a metal one that you could boil water in. Also, if you buff up the inside of the lid it can be also used as a signalling mirror. It will pay for it's weight in versatility.

Also, for kindling, tampons are even better, and they come individually wrapped in waterproof sachets.

Another handy tip is to bring a small tube of hand sanitizer. Will sanitize wounds if needed and can also be used to aid in lighting a fire.

In regards to food, you need to look into military surplus MRE's (Meal Ready to Eat). Pemmican is a good one. I actually just watched a show recently where a Vietnam Vet was eating a can of Pemmican he was given back in 1969. It was still fine and the host of the show, Ray Mears, was eating it also.

Some links:
http://www.nitro-pak.com/products/mre

http://astore.amazon.com/emergeprepa...g=UTF8&node=13
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

i'd say add some energy bars and power gels, some packages of dried fruit and trail mix and jerky (and rotate it out every month or two).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page