Lost hikers, one Mt Seymour, 2 buntzen lake area.. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Lost hikers, one Mt Seymour, 2 buntzen lake area..

I searched the forums but didn't see any posts.

Did anyone else hear on the radio about the lost hiker in seymour and some in Buntzen ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camshaft

I searched the forums but didn't see any posts.

Did anyone else hear on the radio about the lost hiker in seymour and some in Buntzen ?

NS Explorer crosspost:
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=32709

-Ryan
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I just did some searching and found some more info..

Well I wasn't 100% sure if it was a single hiker or a group that went missing in the buntzen area.

It seems that 3-4 people have gotten lost in the last week.

The two I was talking about are listed below..
One was nicknamed the flip flop hiker..

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/m...6_023952_14116
Quote:
quote:
Search for hikers ends successfully
One man on Mount Seymour and a pair at Buntzen Lake
Sheila Scott/Tamara Slobogean NORTH VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) 2009-09-16 07:04 NORTH VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - As summer winds down and the days get shorter, it's getting easier to get lost in the backcountry. After two over night rescues, crews are reminding us to be more cautious and prepared.

North Shore rescue crews spent the better part of a night on Mount Seymour helping a 25-year-old out of the bush and down the mountain.They say the man, who is new to Vancouver from Toronto, was due back on Tuesday evening but never made it home, and was not prepared to spend the night. His intention was to be back before dinner, a far cry from when crews got him out around 4:30 a.m.

Over in the Buntzen Lake area, crews handled their third call for help in less than a week. They got two lost hikers out early this morning.

Anyone heading out should note the sun sets at 7:24p.m. and we lose about 3 minutes of light a day now - that seemingly incremental amount is much more dramatic when you're among the trees and in the woods.
Quote:
quote:WEST VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The search is continuing on Cypress Mountain for a 70-year-old man who hasn't been seen in five days. A helicopter is now helping in the operation and ground crews are back on the mountain after taking a break at 3:00 a.m.

The man set off for a hike and was expected back Monday evening, now searchers are focusing on the Hollyburn Ridge area. There have been several lost hikers found by search crews this week on Mount Seymour and around Buntzen Lake near Port Moody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

I was on the NSR Field Team that found the guy on Seymour early Wednesday morning. There was a rumor he might be in flip flops, but I can tell you he was wearing shiny new patagonia hikers. He was found be-nighted on the Elsay Lake Trail in the vicinty of Canadian Pass.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I know mother of the flip flop hiker - http://www.coquitlam-sar.bc.ca/search-report/index.php
He was wearing silk shorts and tshirt. Needles to say when he got home around 0500 he was cold and hungry. That dude has bad things happen to him constantly. Once we had to pull him out of waterfall. I think he should start taking some antijinx medicine
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NS Explorer

He was found be-nighted on the Elsay Lake Trail in the vicinty of Canadian Pass.
He has my sympathies. I remember that trail. One of the few that have defeated me, and my greatest defeat.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page