powdered peanut butter? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, reading, traveling, learning, spending too much time on the internet.
Default powdered peanut butter?

I have read some good reviews on a powdered peanut butter made in Georgia (one was in a Washington Trails Association magazine). The company, Bell Plantation, squeezes the peanut oil out of peanuts (they sell that, too) to make a peanut powder that can be mixed with water to produce life-like peanut butter. Without the oil it is lightweight and low in fat. There are all sorts of recipes on the website as well.

I ordered some for an August trip to the Bowron Lakes and for some stocking stuffers. I'm intrigued.

Anyone tried this stuff?

http://www.bellplantation.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Doesn't pulling the oil/fat out of peanut butter remove most of the energy? Wouldn't that make it pretty protein rich?

I like high energy density foods for camping. That's part of the appeal of peanut butter to me (although I've read it's hard to digest).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

whats wrong with a protien rich food? your muscles need protien to recover after something like, say, a hike. let us know how it works out charisboof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

You don't need nearly as much protein as energy when recovering from exercise. Ever hear of rabbit starvation?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Rabbit is high in protein and low in fat. You will die on an exclusive diet of rabbit because you can't get enough energy from it for even basic body function.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

yeah, but how much are you really going to eat? It's a way of having tasty spread, not an exclusive food...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 05:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

My point is that most people eat peanuts for the energy not the protein. It's not that big a deal. I'm just pointing out the compromise of powdered peanut butter. It is a different type of food than the original much like skim milk is very different from cream.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, reading, traveling, learning, spending too much time on the internet.

I wonder how rabbits survive?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 05:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Maybe that trait evolved to curb rabbit cannibalism.

I guess if a predator will starve if they only eat rabbits necessitates that they eat something else as well so then fewer rabbits are eaten. I'd never thought about it before.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hafilax

My point is that most people eat peanuts for the energy not the protein. It's not that big a deal. I'm just pointing out the compromise of powdered peanut butter. It is a different type of food than the original much like skim milk is very different from cream.
good point.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Peanut butter has about 5.5 cal/g. Pure protein is only 4 cal/g, so I don't see the advantage in removing the fat. It's not like were talking about watermelon here. Peanuts are one of the most calorie dense unprocessed foods you can get.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Just curious, do they have such thing as powdered jam too?

On another note, I think it would be funny to switch the powdered peanut butter with someones cocaine Wouldn't that plug em up LOL!

post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:55 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Is eating sushi a hobby?

This could be a new trend in protein diets. Rabbit seasoned with peanut butter powder.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

mmmm, Rabbit.
You could always snare a couple rabbits, and then make a spicy thai peanut sauce. A bit of dehydrated peanut butter, some soya sauce, stew the Rabbit and use the broth to add to the dehydrated peanut butter, add some chili flakes, garlic, salt and pepper.
A little rice and you've got a "gourmet" back country meal.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by charisboof

I wonder how rabbits survive?
Especially with their 'orrible sharp teeth!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking,backpacking,camping all year round,paddling most anything,horseback riding,cross country skiing,snowshoeing,beach combing and most anything done out of doors!

Thanks for the link to the peanut butter, good stuff to know! I like peanut butter just for the taste, something to add to pita bread or flat bread for a snack. I'm not going to worry about the no fat since it is only a snack not my main nutrition. There are animals however that could survive very well on a high protein diet such as rabbits because they may eat the total rabbit and that means what the rabbit has ingested as well, the rabbit being a herbivore unlike the one that ate the wolf! LOL So, really we may be able to survive on rabbit if we eat the whole thing! If anyone tries that please fill us in later!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page