Back Country Etiquette - Page 10 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Chat with them and judge by their reactions. I only really avoid young couples who often just want to be left alone and might consider this an intrusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Re-reading some of this thread and noted the comment on numbers in popular areas such as Garibaldi Lake. I read some Parks stats a few years ago and the number of annual visits was something in the order of 35,000! Even tiny effects add up pretty dramatically with those kinds of numbers.
post #138 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Q 's opening post question that ask's the question of what to do with poo ?

First , if you are packing pets , watch them and cover their tracks and remove their poo.
Basic etiquette. I see so many people drop them off at parks and rest stops and turn their backs on them.

Second, what we do when we are camping is build a secondary fire pit ringed with rocks,
far away down wind and that is our poo-pit. Last day of trip we burn it well, then water and cover with natural materials. This spot then becomes a "nutrient capital " for future plant growth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

This is a great thread, just read it start to finish. I've been hiking for a few years now, and have never really had anyone tell or teach me anything, common sense has prevailed but never put two and two together on issues like fires, although it seems there are two camps on the subject, as I am sure with most things.

I for one, am interested in reading more on the subject, as I said, I have about 5 years of hiking experience, but somehow still feel a little green at times.

Thanks CT
post #140 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Summit Master

While reviewing some of my posts this a.m. looking for "unauthorized"entries by one of my young'uns, came across an interesting bit that got locked in may I hadn't noticed but is relevant to this thread.

Feeding animals, kind of a no brainer with some species, and I'm not too inclined to feed grey-jays, aka whiskey jacks, and waste my food, but kids love it when I demonstrate how to catch one safely and observe the rest of the flock's reaction.

And here is my etiquitte spiel.
People seem to love to boast about the Fish they catch, trout, and display the entrails and guts over the shoreline, campsite, water.

That is rude and potentially dangerous to water hygiene , and an attractant to bears and wolves.[V]

What to do with the guts ?? If you are allowed, burn it. No fires allowed ? then I often employ the services of the "swiper birds" aka whiskey jacks.
Lure them in with trail food, gain their trust and then switch their offerings with
fish left overs. They love it and it is a win-win for all. Happy times.
Any thing small left over feeds slugs and ants a valuable rare protein source in subalpine environment.
post #141 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Summit Master

Put fish guts back in the water, where they belong. Preferably not right in view or to be stepped on though.
post #142 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blackfly

Put fish guts back in the water, where they belong. Preferably not right in view or to be stepped on though.
---------------------------------------

Most of the time I agree with this , especially if the lake or river has crayfish that
will devour the guts.
One exception is to consider if this is a swimming hole. Then not. Unsightly and gross,
also violates b.c. fish / game synopsis. Guts have the tendency to attract snails closer
to shore, and this increases the likelyhood of swimmers itch on swimmers.
post #143 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Summit Master

Kudos to the rare few that I've witnessed. Once near the comox glacier, another recently
near the Crags.
Along a trail leaving the crags, kids and I bent over to pick up some errant litter, a plastic
baggy with a juice bottle in it. Inside the bottle were many ciggy butts.
Near the glacier one year we stopped and talked to some descending hikers. One pulled out his
smokes and a baby food jar nearly full of butts.
[8D] Cool [^]. I don't smoke.
Hats-off to those that use containers for their butts. Thanks for not "flicking " them
on the ground, water, river, snow, etc.
Kudos.
post #144 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

As a smoker I carry all my butts out while hiking. The ones I don't carry out get burned in a fire along with all other combustibles.

I have picked hundreds of butts off trails and it really pisses me off that people are that selfish.
post #145 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gunthur

As a smoker I carry all my butts out while hiking. The ones I don't carry out get burned in a fire along with all other combustibles.

I have picked hundreds of butts off trails and it really pisses me off that people are that selfish.
I smoke as well and I do just as you gunther. Drives me nuts that people can't simply pack their butts out, but instead leave them on the ground.It's not like they weigh anything, it's just ignorant!
post #146 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

There is also the whole forest fire issue with throwing butts onto the ground. It makes me really mad to see butts on the trail
post #147 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by keadyn

Not sure if this one has been asked.

How do people feel about
Q. Another group of hikers joining you on a day hike.
Q. Other hikers having lunch with you.

Today I ended up solo hiking (which I try not to do if I can help it).
Background
I went 9km up gold creek, there was 4-5 feet of snow and I did not see any other people. Then out of the blue, there was a small group of 3-4 people having lunch on a sand bar. I waved and briefly looked for a way down. I decided to keep on hiking and had lunch about a km later. After lunch I turned back. When I got back to their lunch spot, the tracks in the snow showed they had turned around as well.

Now if I had gone down and had lunch with them, and they had be cool with that, would they have also been cool about me walking back with them? If they did infact want to hike in there small group would our "Canadian Politeness" stop us from express that. I mean I could have cared less either way, I'm just wondering if someone would tell you what they truely thought.

Any light on this would be helful thanx in advance
I myself would have no problem with another hiker joining my group, another group joining I would not be as open to. I guess in my own ignorance when I see a solo hiker I assume that they are hiking alone to be alone. But if someone wanted to join my group because they had nobody to hike with, I would have no problem with them tagging along. Nothing worse then getting excited to go for a hike and then having nobody to go with.
post #148 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Scaling New Heights

On the topic of trail etiquette, I would like to add that people should use existing fire pits. I have noticed over the years the rapidly growing amounts of fire pits on some of our local mountain tops, some of them even placed within the alpine flowers (most likely put there when the flowers were not) but still, take that into consideration! In some circumstances, a small stove is even a better alternative to a roaring fire :-)
post #149 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SophieThomas

On the topic of trail etiquette, I would like to add that people should use existing fire pits. I have noticed over the years the rapidly growing amounts of fire pits on some of our local mountain tops, some of them even placed within the alpine flowers (most likely put there when the flowers were not) but still, take that into consideration! In some circumstances, a small stove is even a better alternative to a roaring fire :-)

Yea I agree, very seldom do i ever feel compelled on a trail to start a fire. The mysterious
stone-ring circles moving from spot to spot is mysterious. I can only figure that someone either
wants to leave their mark on the land, or the previous view {to them} was lousy.
Alpine usually doesn't have enough surplus fuel lying about for fires to warrant the effort,
except maybe survival reasons.
post #150 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Summit Master

Foreshore Etiquette

... sitting in / on a spacious waterfront, park or not, very little or no people, along comes someone on foot Or in boat, they see us, and park their ass if front of us and our view , or beach their boat right there when there are oodles of other options to beach, sometimes letting their dogs do a long beach run
thru the picnic site we have chosen, while they are offshore motoring their lazy asses with no apologies.
A rudeness we see all too often, doesn't seem to matter if they are tourons or locals or fishermen...

Dump a pile too and motor away, one even cranked up loud ski music at our location.

Tempted to buy a healthy supply of Bear Bangers and Atom Bombs and Sky rockets and let 'er rip...[}]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page