ClubTread Announcement - Page 10 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheShadow

Anybody feel like starting up a new site?

Site has been around for almost 14 years; it has a long and interesting history where all of us can go search and review what has happened in the past. it would be good to have this given some refreshing touches to keep it going.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Summit Master

The site was just recently handed over, the poor content issue was around for a looong time before, we are talking years. Some was handled and a few got sent home permanently. Maybe time for a re clean up.

I do agree that the issues of uploader and other technical problems should be dealt with asap, then we can focus on some moderation.

If we actually removed the bickering threads for a minute and look at the CT message board conversations in general, it seems to be a decent place with mostly level headed and educating interactions.
So little moderation is likely needed.

Add the irritating, never go anywhere topics and let the usual members put in their drivel and CT becomes a drag, and it really shows in moral on the board.

To put it bluntly, axe the topics, threads and/or the entire sub forums that host these arguments and also axe the members that continue to brew constant trouble.
post #138 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo
I think everyone is generally in favour of having things work, and it is pretty obvious that since the site was sold, the new management has ignored it completely, and failed to fix anything broken, let alone bring in any updates.
Yes. And (lack of) management response is reason for quality degradation: from Trail Wiki buttons that don't work, to image uploader issues, to ... Notice there was no calendar this year? I thought most users enjoyed this feature; photographers would get their little (good mannered) contest, everyone would enjoy the visuals, and end product was pretty neat too. But Darren, who did such a great job last couple of years, either doesn't have time or left completely and management did nothing to remedy the situation.

Moderation is separate topic, but in essence simple: Management creates site rules, moderators ensure rules are followed. But now because there is none, rules get broken, treads get derailed and users flock away because they get tired of it. So it can also be regarded as quality degradation; not as direct as 'Trail Wiki doesn't work', but with probably more serious consequences.

I might be out of bounds, but let's hear from VSAdmin (or whoever): Can you please at least acknowledge you exist and are aware of this discussion? If there is no intention to do anything, please say that so we are aware of general site direction and can decide for ourselves if we want to keep contributing or not. To quote (one and only) site founder LongShadow from top of thread:

Quote:
quote:
At some point in the near future, additional staff will be brought on board to provide extra assistance to the community. In addition, you should start seeing some of the updates you have asked for being made, including a future roll out of improved forum software.
Lack of response is likely response by itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KARVITK
Site has been around for almost 14 years; it has a long and interesting history where all of us can go search and review what has happened in the past. it would be good to have this given some refreshing touches to keep it going.

K
Very much agreed with Karvitk. This is a great site, almost part of lifestyle. So many people have helped (volunteered with reports, trail wiki entries, etc) to build it over the years; it would be a shame to give it all up now. But something needs to be done to address the problems since takeover.
post #140 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Scaling New Heights

Jim, Club Tread has been an invaluable resource for my hiking goals and for others in the hike group I founded back in 2002 (wanderung.ca). I would list it as #1 as being the nexus of where the BC hiking community really meets.

Thank you so much for the time, money and effort that you have invested! On some level, I can probably relate better than most with regards to building something but wanting to hand it off and it sounds like you are doing so the way we would all hope.

If there is anything Wanderung can do by sending a message to our subscribers, please let me know (eg. call for volunteer moderators etc.).

I have decided, while writing this, to donate,... something I have not done to date, but should have done long ago.

-Steve
post #141 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok
But Darren, who did such a great job last couple of years, either doesn't have time or left completely and management did nothing to remedy the situation.
If you can comment on Darren's role as moderator, then I also have that right.

When Longshadow owned and moderated this site, I occasionally reported to him posts and posters I felt were unacceptable. He always responded, and in an sensible and respectful manner. With one minor exception he and I agreed on the problems and he thanked me for reporting them. The exception was a chronic abusive poster who I felt should remain, but Longshadow banned. I wanted the person to remain so that whatever was troubling them could be explored and perhaps resolved. Longshadow's moderating maintained the site's health and appeal.

In comparison and in my opinion, Darrren allowed his personal biases and loyalty to his pals to take priority over the health of the site. Why else would a moderator allow a post such as found at https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...34&whichpage=6
(Posted - 07/22/2014 : 11:09 PM) to remain? Such a post damages my reputation, but more seriously damages the site itself. Darren failed not just by not banning the person, but did not do so much as remove any of the several such posts made by that person. No one acting or failing to act in that manner should be a moderator.

Several people who used to be valuable contributors have told me that Darren was a lousy moderator, and some of them told me before I reached the same conclusion.
post #142 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Moderator, good, bad or non-existent, this forum works and in some ways is even self moderating. Good on you people, for not going cuckoo. Sometimes people get pissed off with each other and make veiled threats, yet the discussion goes on. This forum is tame compared to many others.

I have noted a general decline in people posting on several "tame" forums. I think this is more likely due to people surfing on their phones and not finding time for forums in general, rather than being put off by forum arguements. After all, forum arguements are the most read posts... even on polite Club Tread!

Hats off to all that disagree and keep it civil, without fourm moderators.

post #143 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Summit Master

Posts on outdoor forums like this seem to drop off heavily at this time of year anyway, regardless of the prevailing subject matter.
post #144 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgRant

Posts on outdoor forums like this seem to drop off heavily at this time of year anyway, regardless of the prevailing subject matter.
Absolutely true. I've been out for some bike rides, but nothing worthy of a trip report. I imagine lots of us are similar that way -> still being active, just not doing as many interesting objectives.
post #145 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Summit Master

many have found friends on here and have started their own mini group and organize in the back ground, some use other sites to share and interact, as they are fed up with much of the
fires running on CT. Even new comers don't hang out much anymore.

If the overall mood and moral was more fun and welcoming, then active membership would also increase. Its never going to be all smiles and handshakes everyday, but hey, some could try a little harder
post #146 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Has anyone tried to PM VSAdmin to see what's going on?
post #147 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 AM
Summit Master

I would be guilty of , no
post #148 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 01:31 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 5thhorseman

Would likely have same result: no answer.

Although this is pure speculation, I'd not be surprised Darren is not around anymore because he knows something we don't.
post #149 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok

Quote:

Would likely have same result: no answer.

Although this is pure speculation, I'd not be surprised Darren is not around anymore because he knows something we don't.
I really enjoy your trip reports zeljkok, and your writing style has let me to believe you are not a pessemistic person.

Anyways, have sent a PM to test out your assumption. Let's see if anything happens.
post #150 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
I really enjoy your trip reports zeljkok, and your writing style has let me to believe you are not a pessemistic person.
Thanks; more realist leaning towards optimistic. Part of me hopes this is all about this 'giant software upgrade' they promised, so they don't bother fixing anything as there will be new rollout coming up soon together with announcement(s), rules, moderators etc. But silence is rather bothersome. Do let us know if you get any reply?

[edit] Just saw post from VSAdmin, which is likely reaction to your PM. So let's hope for the best!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page