Spambots Registering In CT System & Sending Msgs - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Those nice people in India are always wanting to help clean up my computer too.
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...1/malwarebytes
Have not received spam on CT so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Summit Master

For the automated calls, you can just leave the phone off the hook so their system is tied up longer with your call.

I've gone along with the Windows scammers for a while. I then suggest we end our call and that the scammer should call the police and tell them what they're doing. Not very imaginative. A friend went along with it to the point where the security is breached, just to see what they were doing. I don't suggest that unless you have a very good idea of how the computer works.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 03:26 AM
Summit Master

Tina is mine you guys ... all mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:39 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgRant

For the automated calls, you can just leave the phone off the hook so their system is tied up longer with your call.

I've gone along with the Windows scammers for a while. I then suggest we end our call and that the scammer should call the police and tell them what they're doing. Not very imaginative. A friend went along with it to the point where the security is breached, just to see what they were doing. I don't suggest that unless you have a very good idea of how the computer works.
The US/ Canada can not prosecute these scammers except in civil court and they may close them down but it is such a lucrative business with hundreds of thousands of people who get swindled and do not realize it till their bank funds are missing.
Spambots on this website compared to being ripped off legally is nothing. Visa will tell you that if you received a service you have to pay. Even if that service destroyed your computer !
post #20 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Summit Master

I just got another of these calls from the bogus Windows support people. He said my computer had sent them its id number. I repeatedly asked him to give me that number so I could check to see if it was correct. He kept falling back on his script to get me to allow him to connect to my computer. So I accused him of trying to scam me. Eventually HE told ME to f**k off. Made my day.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Summit Master

Back in 2002-2003 I received a call from some guy. "hi my name is ---, Your name came across my desk and I have great deal you for you on a lucrative business venture"! I asked where he got my name and he said a friend. What friend I asked ? Then he went into his pitch. I told him I wasn't interested and hung up.
He called 4 more times after that , one late at night, which woke me up. The next day I got his number from my call display, plugged it into Canada 411 and got a name and address in Langley in Brookswood. it was a different name than the one he had given me.
Here's the fun part
I waited till 2:00am as I was on afternoon shift then called. I listened closely and the voice that answered it was the same one. I asked if my name was still on his desk ? "Huh" was his reply. I then told him ;Bob I know where you live(Quoted his address) and I'm not happy. I might just pop over and visit you and your wife tonight... late ! I WAS going to call the cops but I think I'll risk breaking probation and deal with this myself. Do you plan to EVER call me again?
Also you may want to consider finding another way to make extra cash ! Are we clear Bob ?
'Yes sure, I'm very , very sorry for calling you and will not call again" ! "I apologise if I bothered you". He never did and for some time I had no calls at all.

It was fun to get one back on these scum and I don't have much faith in the Do Not Call Registry. This guy was obviously an amateur. Most of these calls come from out of country call centers so there is not much you can do.

When I bought my townhouse I was in the place only 3 days after my phone was connected. I got a call from a guy selling bottled water. I asked to speak to his supervisor. I then asked where he got my number because not even my friends & relatives had it yet !!! To make a long story shot after several calls I found out Telus sells numbers to Dominion Directories , who in turn sell it to companies. I raised utter hell with Telus and their privacy policy. The best they could offer was an unlisted number of which I had to pay extra for. Shortly after that I cancelled my home phone and use my cell. Now I get maybe 1 unknown caller per month.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Summit Master

haha nice Russ

Many years ago, had some freak prank calling my houseline, and harassing/threatening an EX.
maybe 6 calls.. had connections to trace this to exact phone booth.
7th call, same payphone, extended call as longs as possible, cars dispatched within 2 minutes and arrived at location. I have no idea what happened. THE END.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Russ...

Glad you got this one back at him. Shitty about Telus selling numbers to Dominion who in turns sells to whoever ?

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page