New Photo Upload Feature - Browsing & Multi-Photo - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.
Default New Photo Upload Feature - Browsing & Multi-Photo

I've got the new photo upload done. It is very similar to the one many of you have got used to with FaceBook, Flickr, etc. If anyone notices a bug, please let me know so I can investigate.

Here are some of the key features:
  • Batch file uploads / multi-photo
  • Browse your folders and visually see the pictures before uploading
  • Select the photos you like and add them, put titles and descriptions on at the same time
  • No need to resize or scale images any longer, this happens automatically for you before the images are uploaded
  • Improved speed of upload as images are scaled before the transfer takes place. Don't worry, it doesn't do anything to your original file!
  • Accepts jpg, gif, and bmp. All files are converted to jpg on upload
  • Client side driven - I/E users utilize an ActiveX control and others utilize a Java applet
When you go to make a post, there is an additional button toolbar:

Clicking that button will open a new window that allows you to access the photo system.

As before, this will upload the pictures to the CT server, along with the description. It will also insert the code for the thumbnail image(s) into your post.

When the thumbnail is clicked, a window pops open that displays the full-size image, along with the description you added.

Note that I have left the original uploader in place. So if you prefer that one, as before you can click on

The system does not support pano's at this time. You can continue to use the original uploader to upload pano's.

Compatability:

[u]ActiveX Version</u>
  • Windows 2000/XP/Vista
  • Internet Explorer 5 or later
  • ActiveX controls and JavaScript should be enabled in the browser settings
[u]Java Version</u>
  • Any platfrom with Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.4.2_06 or later
  • A browser which supports Java applets with JRE 1.4: Internet Explorer (Windows), any Mozilla-family browser (including Firefox, Camino, Netscape), Safari, Konqueror
  • LiveConnect availability (needed for some of the features)
  • Java applets and JavaScript should be enabled in the browser settings
Installing:

When you run the image uploader, it is automatically downloaded and installed. This process is discussed below.

[u]ActiveX</u>
Depending on Internet Explorer settings, security dialog prompting whether the user permits installation of image uploader may be displayed. You should click the Yes button to proceed with installation.

If you have Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed, you need to click the information bar and allow ActiveX control to be installed.

If anyone has security settings at work that disable this, I can send you the OCX file manually for you to register.

[u]Java</u>

If Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.4 or later is installed and you use the uploader with a browsers that are compatible with JRE 1.4 (see above), the uploader is automatically downloaded and installed. Depending on the browser settings, security dialog prompting whether you permit installation of the uploader may be displayed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

YAY!!!

That's a sweet process. Thanks Longshadow!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: BC Park Volunteer for the front and backcountry trails in Golden Ears Park. Also love to kayak !!!

Thanks Jim, that's awewsome. Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Summit Master

I've also upgraded the "photo" feature of the hiking wiki as well. Image previews are shown for all images while adding or editing trails:

I'll hopefully have an "upload" button on the wiki one day soon as well.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Summit Master

YES
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

Nice work, Guys [8D]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:40 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I was excited to try this. I love the preview feature and auto-resizing. No more Photoshop needed and no more going back and forth to my picture folder. It's an improvement, although it took a little time for Java to load on my outdated computer.

Thanks!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

Very nice. Thanks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: the Lord Jesus, scrambling, Lego

Can't wait to try it out!

[8D]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

A great feature you promised, good to see you have it set up. I will try it out sometime. My computer does not seem to be ready to do this right now...

K
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

finally

I think I might have to write a few old TR's that I've been meaning to

it seems to be a lot faster uploading to the server as well. great work

one thing. the estimated time starts by showing several hours, then eventually gets slowly goes down. maybe something like "12/17 photo's uploaded" or "uploading photo 5 of 14" would be more useful? works great either way
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Banned

EXCELLENT!!!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Very nice. We will have to see what happens when many people are uploading batch pictures at the same time. I know the old way I used to get someone elses picture/pictures on my TR when the system was busy.
Great New Year gift Jim, thanx.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by guntis
I was excited to try this. I love the preview feature and auto-resizing. No more Photoshop needed and no more going back and forth to my picture folder. It's an improvement, although it took a little time for Java to load on my outdated computer.
I've experienced the same thing given I'm a Fx user. I have the applet caching on but I seem to recall reading that it just took longer to load the thumbnails (not using the EXIF info from what I understand, and also set up the folder list.)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wildman

Very nice. We will have to see what happens when many people are uploading batch pictures at the same time. I know the old way I used to get someone elses picture/pictures on my TR when the system was busy.
That's an interesting feedback. When I was working on the code I was thinking about that. I have an idea of how to address it.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LongShadow

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wildman

That's an interesting feedback. When I was working on the code I was thinking about that. I have an idea of how to address it.
I believe I have that addressed now. If you notice this happening, please let me know.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page