• 1 Post By alexcanuck
  • 1 Post By alexcanuck
  • 1 Post By alexcanuck
  • 2 Post By susied

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: activities with my dog, walking, biking and during summer kayaking
Default using a car during the day by day hiking on the SCT ?

Hello All

we're considering on doing the SCT in June 2017 but we would like to hire a car and ren-a-tent for our trips. After passing from Comox to Powell River we would like to stay in Lund and pick up the water taxi to drop is at Sarah point.

Can we manage to hike from Sarah Point to Lund in 1 day ?

After that we would like to use our rented car to get to other parts of the Sunshine Coast, but our question is :

Can we arrive by car the inland spots to start overthere the daily hikes ?

Hopefully someone is willing to give us some answers and helping us to plan our adventure

Thanks in advance from the Netherlands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 02:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Do you mean hike the SCT in sections as day-hikes, not carrying packs, returning to car-camping each night?
As a through-hike the start and end points of each day are far apart, no transit, nothing at all like the European hikes that do tend to have frequent convenient options to shuttle between villages with ample accommodation. In addition to the official access points, there are many more access points from the forestry road network on the southern portion, confusing and not really recommended for rental cars and visitors unfamiliar with the area. The trail is well marked for the most part.

There are marvelous huts on the SCT, so the pack you need to carry is considerably smaller and lighter than most multi-day hikes in BC. The huts tend to be located at scenic spots chosen to be a comfortable days hike from each other, without too much consideration to access points.

Sarah Point to Lund is a long day, perfectly OK for a normally fit person without a big pack on. You have long days in June, no problem even with the water-taxi.
souburgNL likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

are the huts along the SCT open during the winter months as well? I took a look at the website but don't see any confirmation or notice that they are not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I believe so. Much of the trail is low elevation and well accessible during winter. Locked public huts are rare in general.

Can't positively confirm though.
alpalmer likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

so if I understand you well it's not practical to have our own car to do the day hiking ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Only as out-and-back return trips. There are a few loops you can can do, but they tend go along old logging roads for a good bit as the return journey. I'd rather do the same trail both ways than trudge a boring road.

The SCT itself incorporates some established trails, worthy on their own as dayhikes. Much of the SCT is old logging road cleared and marked, linking up the real trail sections. If it's nice dayhikes you want, forget the SCT as a whole and just do the good bits.

The caution about rental cars, logging road traffic and visitors unfamiliar with gigantic logging trucks appearing at high speed around blind corners remains in place, BTW.

Is there a reason to stay in the Powell River area particularly? If you want water-based activities it's great, if you want a starting point for multi-day serious no-trail backcountry trips PR works, but then almost anywhere in BC works. There are better bases if what you want is many varied proper hikes on established trails.

Where's Susied? She's the real Powell River guru.
alpalmer likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:38 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Here I am! Just shaking off some raindrops after another wet hike with the dog.

Sarah Point to Lund in a day is ambitious, but on the other hand our Wednesday hiking group, almost all of whom are 65+, do it every year. It's probably ok with a day pack, but you would not have much time to enjoy the swimming at Wednesday Lake, or the beautiful ocean at several spots. Much better to plan an overnight at Manzanita Hut.

Many parts of the SCT can be done as day hikes, and often your car will not be very far away. I might be willing to help a bit with logistics for the northern section of the trail, as I have a great fondness for the Netherlands. I spent quite a lot of time there for my work, and I love the Dutch sense of humour.

Fiddlehead Landing (boat access) or Inland Lake (car access) to Lois Lake would be very difficult to do without a vehicle. However there are good huts to stay at. The work is finishing on building a great new hut at Confederation Lake as I write. The old hut was not very pleasant.

From Lois Lake to Saltery Bay is also very difficult with a car. There are ways to get in, but all require 4x4 and a long trip into the back country. Once again, I might be willing to help out. It doesn't take very long to get from Lois Lake to Saltery Bay via car, but it is a much longer trip by foot - and a lot of elevation gain/loss.

To answer the other comments, yes, the huts are open year round. Our Wednesday group often hikes to them as it is pleasant to have a covered shelter for lunch.
alpalmer and souburgNL like this.

Last edited by susied; 10-17-2016 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Add comment - we have some awesome kayaking here in Powell River!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Hi Susied, that sounds good :-)

I/We would like to get in touch with you, perhaps to chat via Facebook ?

I've been two times in Lund and so addicted to the Sunshine coast (I could live there ;-) ) but have also many questions about hiking overthere, because till now we only have the experience by kayaking

greetz Johan
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Johan, I have sent you a private message with my contact information. Look forward to hearing from you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page