Baby Munday - hiker missing - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Baby Munday - hiker missing

A friend was out hiking Baby Munday on Sunday and didn't meet up with his hiking buddy back at the car. Chilliwack SAR have been on it, but posting here just in case somebody might have seen him?? Please reply here or contact Chilliwack SAR directly if you have any info. Thank you so much!!

Here's a link to a fundraising page some other friends have set up and it has a photo of Gordon, the missing hiker.

https://www.canadahelps.org/en/pages...search-rescue/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencloss View Post
A friend was out hiking Baby Munday on Sunday and didn't meet up with his hiking buddy back at the car. Chilliwack SAR have been on it, but posting here just in case somebody might have seen him?? Please reply here or contact Chilliwack SAR directly if you have any info. Thank you so much!!

Here's a link to a fundraising page some other friends have set up and it has a photo of Gordon, the missing hiker.

https://www.canadahelps.org/en/pages...search-rescue/

Sure hope he is found, sooner the better. Great to see good support for SAR.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Any clues on where he was going? ie. side trip to Stewart? If you don't know the area well and miss the trail for hiking out, the terrain naturally pulls you into the drainage.

On a tangent, a question for mods/site admins, is there a mechanism to "sticky" threads so that they stay prominent for a period of time? Such as this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

His hiking friends said they separated when he decided to explore some other peaks. He also had the gpx track from a friend who was up there recently. That friend has been in contact with SAR and shared the route. I guess there was a pretty major cornice they were worried about. Gordon is really experienced and was well prepared - although not for a 3 night stay...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 04:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...agoo-1.3724188

This is a weird one, "We thought that Gordon was ahead of us on the trail, we could see him in the distance," said Budai.

3 days is pretty rough, gotta be missed the trail as Guntis said and ended up in the drainage area, or ended up on the North Side of whatever peaks he went to explore. Yikes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:06 AM
Summit Master

I'd sent in of my UAV's or quads several times, volunteer, I can cover tons of terrain, with decent HD vid and GPS co ord.
but word is they don't want outsiders searching with such tools.
Spectrum and MatthewBaldwin like this.

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 08-18-2016 at 01:09 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Terra View Post
I'd sent in of my UAV's or quads several times, volunteer, I can cover tons of terrain,
but word is they don't want outsiders searching with such tools.
Wonder Why ?

KJ

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:14 AM
Summit Master

just a bunch of political BS, that's why. I can still go in and map , search/terrain, but of course if they call interference, I'd have to answer some questions and be labelled a bad guy. I can fly/ video many km out, completly safe for a very long time, of course the rules are, do not fly out of line of sight which completely defeats the purpose of such a search, just typical red tape and laws that really don't work for dedicated uses such as this.

Often a 40 minute fight will cover 40km of distance and can climb well over 1000m to clear obstacles, peaks, perfect for mountain terrain and hard to reach areas such as we have. This self build, customized technolology is kept just as a hobby for me at his point

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 08-18-2016 at 01:29 AM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:23 PM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

I wonder if you offer this "service" directly to the family, they can cut through the red tape involved. I think the UAV's are a perfect tool for this and some countries have started to use them in the same situations, so this does not make any sense
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

The latest update from SAR: unfortunately the SAR team has just shut down for the day. Yesterday evening a high power FLIR helicopter with infrared and cell locating technology went up but was unable to get a single hit. A level 5 mountaineer was on scene this morning and went up in the helicopter as well to assess the situation. There is the possibility of a few more options such as a drone and search dog which will be explored throughout the day and discussed on a conference call tonight at 5. Ultimately the SAR crew needs to get rest emotionally and physically as well as service their equipment.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
The latest update from SAR: unfortunately the SAR team has just shut down for the day. Yesterday evening a high power FLIR helicopter with infrared and cell locating technology went up but was unable to get a single hit. A level 5 mountaineer was on scene this morning and went up in the helicopter as well to assess the situation. There is the possibility of a few more options such as a drone and search dog which will be explored throughout the day and discussed on a conference call tonight at 5. Ultimately the SAR crew needs to get rest emotionally and physically as well as service their equipment.
Thanks for the updates. Our thoughts are with the family, friends and search crews.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

SAR needing rest emotionally and physically which I understand, but the fact that there is someone who can fly a drone around looking while they rest , but isn't aloud to? BRUTAL!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 10:37 AM
High on the Mountain Top

First, what is a level 5 mountaineer?

Second, Aqua Terra, don't turn into the bitter whiny guy that complains about not being able to play hero with his UAV every time there's a SAR thread. We all know that there are perfectly good reasons for the current UAV rules, and we all know why it's bad policy to make one-off exceptions to these rules. The fact is, if and when the application you're describing becomes feasible and permissible, I'm sure the SAR teams will provide their own operators, or contract the work out in way that is compliant with the regs. In the mean time, allowing civilians to fly UAVs beyond line of site in an active search area with helicopters isn't really a good idea, no matter how great of an operator they think they are.
oplopanax and Urban trekker like this.

Peaks, not geeks.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Summit Master

I'd never fly with an active full size aircraft present or a ground team below, simple as that

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 08-20-2016 at 12:33 PM.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 04:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Okay.

But what is a level 5 mountaineer?

Peaks, not geeks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page