The Wreck of a Crashed B-25 bomber - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Interest: Writing Prospecting/treasure hunting Reading Film
The Wreck of a Crashed B-25 bomber

The Wreck of the Crashed B25 Bomber

www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/bomber2003.htm

GPS Coordinates:

If you do decide to try and visit this site it's my wish that you respect that it is a grave site and you leave everything as it is. There are relics to be found but I would like it if you treated them like the mountain side was there museum.

History: On a cold winter morning back in Jan of 53 a Mitchell B25 bomber took off from the Saskatoon air force base on a routine training mission. It was to crash on its decent into the Sea Island airport deep inside the rugged Pitt Lake Mountains all aboard where killed on impact. The cause of the crash was ice rain storm which the flight encountered while coming into the Pitt Lake from the north east. The Storm caused the flaps on the bomber to freeze and the pilots could no longer control there elevation and smashed into the side of a mountain flaming debris flying in the air some of it disappearing deep into the Canyon below with main part of the wreckage falling down and resting on a cliff just above the canyon. The snow would cover any traces of the wreck for the next 4 months. When sea island airport became aware that the plane had gone down as they had lost radio contact the plane had already been covered in snow. When searchers got near the area where they suspected the plane had come down which near Coquitlam Lake all hope was lost of anyone surviving the intense January blizzard that the ice rain storm had now become. The search was called off until April when an intense hunt of the area north east south and west of Coquitlam lake it was the party that was searching to the east that would find the wreck site and recover the bodies. Leaving behind a plaque which reads Military aircraft already found please do not report and there it would sit for 32 years until pieces of wreckage where found by a prospector who was searching for the lost mine of Pitt Lake . Ten years later I would learn the location of the wreck site and journey to the canyon in search of the bomber myself and successfully locate it. On a return recon helicopter trip to the Pitt lake area. On attempting to land near the bomber site. Our R44 helicopter was knocked from the sky from a gust of wind and we crashed and slide down the snowy mountainside just south of the bomber. We where all lucky and walked away from the crash .

http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/helicopterpics.htm
http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/helicopter.htm

How to reach: For those who purchase

If you are interested in learning more about directions on how to get to the crash site. Complete instructions on how to reach it are for sale for only 20.00 CAN. Please contact dfriesen@direct.ca for more details.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jackson

If you are interested in learning more about directions on how to get to the crash site. Complete instructions on how to reach it are for sale for only 20.00 CAN. Please contact dfriesen@direct.ca for more details.

Interested to know why you would "sell" the coords for such a site. Morally and ethically, is this the right thing to do?

What gives you the right? Sorry if I sound snotty but your post got my back up. Glad you survived your own crash.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 08:21 AM

Interest: cycling, hiking (snowshoeing in Winter), skiing, cooking, gardening,photography, etc. etc. and motorcycling, too
I agree with you blackfly. And if it should be treated as a "mountainside museum" and a "gravesite", then why supply information to find it.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 08:33 AM

Quote:
quote:If you do decide to try and visit this site it's my wish that you respect that it is a grave site and you leave everything as it is. There are relics to be found but I would like it if you treated them like the mountain side was there museum.

Wait a minute...

Quote:
quote:Complete instructions on how to reach it are for sale for only 20.00 CAN.
[:0]

I suppose this money would be given to the family of the lost crew? I'm sure it is, because profiting from a tragic accident would be sick...

Just my opinion.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Intermediate Member

Interest: hikingbikingyogastudyingarcticdogswatersportssnowshoeing
Clubtread already knows how to get to the Mitchell Bomber. Thanks for your info though.

I would like to talk to you about that area though... I will try and get in touch through your forum website.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography
True enough,that information has been out there for quite some time,so it is no secret.Where honour is concerned,I'd say if you were ever to profit by selling that information,just remember the karma will get you in the end.If,on the other hand,you use that money for trail improvements or the legacy of the victims,that is a different story.Just my two cents...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 03:55 PM

Nah he's looking to make a profit. I asked him awhile back for info and all he wanted was cash. He's a gold digg'n bottom dweller.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Intermediate Member

Interest: Hiking, running, family stuff. Cooking for my 3 sons.
Thought that this site was for the exchange of ideas, good discussion and sharing of fellowship?! sort of your "non-profit" kinda thing? What would Longshadow have to say about this profiteer? I'd love to read that post[]

----------------------------------------
"If you can't be handsome you might as well be handy"
Red-Green
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 07:13 PM

Interest: Hikin\', snowboarding, anything really that keeps me busy.
Lets keep the advertisments off of this site. I sincerely hope that this guy is not trying to use a grave site to rip people off. Jackson, if you are still reading, do you care to offer any explaination as to where the funds are going to?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 10:45 PM

This has to be one of the most selfish, self serving, heartless acts I have ever witnessed on CT.
Sure we all have interest in the crash site (who wouldn't) as history in the mountains lures us even more.
I personally like it when some CT members are vague in their information to certain locations (Ling Lake) as it leaves some of the adventure in the whole experience. Besides we all fear our reclusive unwritten about hike will be over run and lose it's appeal if it's trail info is easily attained.
But for Mr Jackson to say "respect the grave site" and then to end his post by saying....$20.00 for directions.
This guy should crawl back into the hole that he escaped from !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page