current Waddington (Phelix) Hut trail road/trail condition? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spectrum
  • 1 Post By Steventy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default current Waddington (Phelix) Hut trail road/trail condition?

Our group of 10 is heading to Brian Waddington (Phelix) Hut trail this weekend, is there anyone here knows the current road/trail condition here? Thank you very much for any help you might give.

by the way, we downsized to 10 this time as it is Chinese new year this weekend, some friend choose stay at home.

Gloria

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Banned

Hmmm group of 10 to a hut.... I heard conditions were absolutely horrible. You definitely DO NOT want to go there!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
Hmmm group of 10 to a hut.... I heard conditions were absolutely horrible. You definitely DO NOT want to go there!
are you talking about avy risk? I am thinking a backup plan just in case...........will make a decision by tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:28 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeGirl View Post
are you talking about avy risk? I am thinking a backup plan just in case...........will make a decision by tomorrow.
My two cents....

There is a bit of ongoing debate about etiquette for these backcountry huts as they become more popular. Some stuff is obvious (keep water off the floor, don't make noise late at night, share the space and use the smallest amount of space possible, do your part to keep everything clean, pay the fees, etc.)

Other stuff is more debatable. People find it rude when a single large group takes over an "open" (non reservable) hut and forces a number of smaller groups (2-4 people each) to camp outside. There are no rules so it's all a matter of opinion but the following things are more likely to raise eyebrows: If the large group is guided by professionals or people who are taking a fee. If the large group does this on a regular basis - especially at the same hut on multiple weekends. If the large group arrives a little bit earlier (maybe Friday afternoon) so that they can "claim" all the space and especially if this happens at a hut with no online booking system. If no one in the large group is a member of the organization (e.g. BCMC, ACC) that is responsible for maintaining the hut. If the large group makes it difficult for people who have to tent to be able to use the kitchen area, dry their clothes, etc. If the large group is being anti-social. If pets in the large group are taking up space that could be used by humans. If the large group has gone through efforts (promotion on bulletin boards or meet-up groups) to increase the size of their group or to increase awareness of the hut. If the large group lacks the experience to safely travel to the hut and stay in the hut (fire danger, not keeping the water clean, etc.)

You can be sure that if someone posted a meet-up group event for a large group of novice hikers to party in a hut over an entire weekend in February and rented a school bus to get everyone to the trail head, there would be a lot of frustration.

In this case, the hut has an online "registration" (not reservation) system and you are taking up less than half of the hut. You aren't a guided group and you are quite experienced. I'm sure you will be great hut-mates (doing your part to shovel/sweep/get snow water/share the kitchen, ) etc. I personally wouldn't worry about it. If it looks like the hut will fill, you'll want to bring some tents. For a future trip (esp if your group is larger,) the Wendy Thompson hut is a great option because it can be reserved.

I believe your group does snowshoeing, right? Depending on the weather/snow conditions, you may consider breaking your own trail around some of the trickier sections (especially switchbacks and steeper parts) as a courtesy to the skiiers since most of the people going up that trail are on skis. Snowshoes can unfortunately ruin the tricky parts of a skin track.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:57 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Go enjoy the hut Mazegirl! simple as that.
Steventy likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Go enjoy the hut Mazegirl! simple as that.
That's a shorter way to say what I was trying to say.
ashi likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:23 AM
Summit Master

Steventy did raise some real concerns, larger than normal groups can cause a lot of unbalance and etiquette for past ,regular long term back country hut users.
Most are considered emergency shelters, not big group hangouts as they just aren't equipped or managed to deal with volume of people of different ideas , skill level and goals.

Then it can turn into some frustrations or worse for those seeking a peaceful get away with less crowds. We avoid huts or shelters , just because many have become just completely full or will be completetly taken over, even after arriving at them, with hardly anyone around at first..

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 02-04-2016 at 02:30 AM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I just decided to cancel the trip as the Avy risk is high and Waddington (Phelix) Hut route is challenging terrain.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by mazeGirl; 02-09-2016 at 12:31 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 01:25 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

the Waddington hut is huge and harldy used. I would have no issues taking a 10 person group there...

some of the others is a different story.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Scaling New Heights

How was it?

Drive in?
Skin in? Skiing?
Cabin condition?

Hope you had fun.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrgb View Post
How was it?

Drive in?
Skin in? Skiing?
Cabin condition?

Hope you had fun.
sorry that I do not have info to share as we didn't go.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page