How much time is needed for West Coast Trail? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: biking, hiking
Default How much time is needed for West Coast Trail?

Most reports seem to be 5-6 nights but I'm wondering if that just because people are taking their time. I believe the trail is around 72km and I'm assuming it's pretty rough from some of the pictures I've seen. I'm pretty sure I can comfortably hike 25km per day and I will be going as close to the end of June as possible to maximize daylight hours. Is there any reason I wouldn't be ok to plan for 3 nights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 06:25 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

It all depends on you. People have run the trail in 9.5 hours, but don't underestimate the the southern most 12-15km, it is fairly rugged with lots of mud and roots. For comparison, we did the northernmost 12km in 3 hours, while it took us 12 hours to complete the southernmost 12km. Weather can also play a role, when we did the trail last summer, it was the driest in 30 years, with about 12 seconds of rain the entire 6 days. 3 weeks later, torrential downpours had hikers trapped on the trail as creeks were in flood. If you're confident in your ability, and are sure you can comfortably do 25km per day in rough terrain (not just pretty sure) , then 3 nights is definitely doable. Be aware however that this year, reservations open in January (not March) so you will likely want to start looking into this soon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for that, I heard the south portion of that trail was tough so I'm thinking I'll pack for 4 nights to be safe. Big thanks for the heads up that reservations start in January instead of March this year, I did not know that. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:32 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Did it in 6 nights five years ago. Was a very chill trip (super fun by the way). Really enjoyed it and met lots of interesting people. Didn't hurt that my group was composed of fun people. The route has largely been "Caddilac'd" (as we call it) compared to the rugged trip it once was. Tons of boardwalks and very well maintained wooden infrastructure all over. I think 5-6 days is perfect if you're looking for a relaxing wander along beaches and cliffs.

The native ferry operator at the Southern end made it pretty clear to us that we could 'negotiate' our way to a drop off at any beach if one were to prefer skipping the southern slog. There's little to see before Thrasher Cove other than a surprisingly large donkey engine (There is a much smaller one further along the route). We did the whole route anyway but in hindsight I'd be tempted to get the thrasher drop off. The high point on the trail at this southern end is entirely tree covered.

The best part of the trip is actually the people. Monique is super interesting (She has 5 bachelor's degrees) as well as the northern ferry operator at the time we went. There was also a grey whale literally spinning around in Cullite's mini bay... was pretty amazing

If you are an experienced backpacker, the trip will be far less work than you're imagining I'm sure. If you've through hiked the Enchantments or anything like that, this will be a breeze

Have a great time!

_
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the insight recurrence. It's tempting to skip that southern section but I'll probably hike it at least this time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Like others have mentioned, it all depends on you..

If you want to enjoy yourself, 5-6 days.

If you just want to set up a challange for yourself, you can do that. But I wouldn't, not for a very first time.. Those who do it in less time mostly are people the who have done it before and know what pace to set (and even then the weather laughs at your plans).

My 2 cents: the cost (and it is significant) is the same no matter how long you take.. Why rush?
Dac-van and kellymcdonald78 like this.

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Some friends and I did it in 6 nights and we never felt rushed. As dougz mentioned above, you're paying so much money to do this trail, might as well enjoy it and relax a little more. We did it in mid August and the weather was incredible.
kellymcdonald78 likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hey groundhog,

I am also keen on doing the trail? let me know what you are planning?
Nicholas
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I spent 5 nights on the trail, stopping at around 3pm almost each day to swim, take photos, and hang out. But, I know someone who, when she met a new boyfriend, rushed it and completed it in 3 days in order to get back sooner.

In good weather, I'd recommend taking 5-6 days. There are a number of beautiful sections worth enjoying and exploring.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 02:17 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

I don't understand why people think if you don't "take your time" and take 5, 6 or 7 days on the west coast trail, you will be "rushing it". Or you need to take a week to "enjoy the trail".

When I did the trail about 15 years ago I was done before noon on my third day. I never felt like I "rushed" the trail and I enjoyed the experience. But saying that, unless a large group of friends all wanted to do the trail for fun, I have no desire to repeat the trail.

Forcing an opinion of the "right way" to hike this trail isn't what the OP was asking. The question was simply if it was possible. And yes it is. As was already mentioned, the trail has been run in a single day. And I bet those people enjoyed their experience. Different people are looking for different experience.

I even encountered hostility from others on the bus back to Victoria afterwords who were convinced I didn't "see everything they saw", I did the whole trail, how did I somehow miss something? And that because they took a week, they somehow enjoyed it more than me? My pack was half the size of some of those peoples, that didn't look enjoyable.

WTF
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Off the Beaten Path

You must be reading a very different conversation than what's posted here. Pretty much everyone is saying that it's doable in 3 nights, and it really depends on the person. Not one person has said you'd be "wrong" to do it in 3 days, people are only asking why rush? by the time you pay for trail fees, trail bus and ferry/flights you've already invested several hundred dollars in the experience, unless you're trying to challenge yourself or have other constraints, why not take your time?

Last edited by kellymcdonald78; 02-06-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm booked starting Monday June 20th to maximize my daylight hours. I'm hiking alone so I'm thinking I'll be hiking more than sitting still, nice to know I can do it in a few days if I'm inspired. I've decided to bring enough supplies to last 4 -5 nights just in case. I'm entering from the south to get the hard part over with early.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Congrats and good luck, you're going to love the trip. The only down side with early bookings is the waiting. We booked the Teton Crest Trail in January and it's still 5 months away
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 03:04 AM
Scaling New Heights

Don't forget there's the opportunity for meals at the Nitinat Ferry and at Chez Monique's. Also, if you find yourself running out of food, you can probably buy fruits, snacks, and beverages at both locations if you find you're running low.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

Sorry to comment on your question even tough I never hiked WCT. I did North Coast Trail with my friend and we took 6 days. That was our plan and we wanted to soak all scenery, enjoy camping and do beach combing. It was spectacular.

However, we met two young guys who ever running NCT. Later we learned they did it in little over 12 hours. Record is about 11 hours ... Maybe this is the person?
http://trailadventurer.blogspot.ca/2...y-10-2008.html

For WCT I believe you could do it in day also. You have to train hard and you will be able complete it.
http://www.trainharder.com/2011/10/1...-by-joe-grant/

I will be happy to do it in a slower pace and try to just enjoy every minute of it. Must be spectacular! Good luck and be safe!

Zoran

Zoran

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page