Questions about Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Almost everything as long as it's outdoors and some other things
Default Questions about Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver

Has anyone seen any bears in this park? I'm not afraid of bears and I would love to see one but from what I know bears are "scarce" here. That's what the pamphlet said. And courgars haven't been seen for "ages" if you take my meaning. To see these animals up close, from a safe distance would be cool but since there may not be anything there, sometimes I like to listen to music on my earphones and it's pretty loud when I do that. I don't know, something about music and nature What do you think?

So anyway, the question.....has anyone here who knows the park ever seen a bear more than once? I wanna be on the safe side cause I'm not stupid. I would want to be alert. But....you know? That's why I'm here asking. If a bear goes in and out ever once in a blue moon, well friends....I'll take my chances. Please get back to me soon. I'd appreciate any help I could get. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Been into park at least four, maybe five times, and never saw a bear. You never know there is a small chance one could be there. With the large numbers of people travelling the trails, this would likely scare them off.

Suggest you try hiking the trails without the earphones... enjoy the silence of the experience and be alert to other hikers who may pass you.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:18 AM
Summit Master

MountainArt, Lighthouse park is very very popular with people, and therefore the bears stay away. I have been there so many times and never once saw a bear. As Karvitk said, keep the earbuds out of your ears and enjoy your walk through the paths of this pretty park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:30 AM
Summit Master

agree with Karvitk and Seawallrunner.

Trails on east side of the park are little less busy -- Valley of the Giants, Arbutus and Summit trail. Eagle Point has nice views, and deserves the name.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:48 AM
Summit Master

Earbuds with loud music disconnect you from the actual surroundings and any seemingly hidden dangers. I would be more worried about human predators than animals, especially with headphones. Some freak humans will prey on people with such devices, you wanna be alert? Your choice.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Hiking with earphones? Seems to defeat the purpose, but to each their own.

I would be shocked to see a bear in Lighthouse Park, given the amount of well-landscaped suburbia it would be obligated to traverse to get there, and the lack of any real incentive for them to go there. As others have said, the human predator is more likely (not to imply that Lighthouse Park is any more safe/dangerous than anywhere else in a city).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 01:57 AM
Banned

Wouldn't be too surprised to see a bear there. There are bears in popular, high traffic parks too - seen them before myself. But I wouldn't hesitate hiking in earphones.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Headed for the Mountains

You can find bears almost anywhere on the north shore.....not commonly, but they're around at times. Our neighbour saw a big one walking down Mountain Highway, last year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page