Conditions on Radium Lake Trail - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Conditions on Radium Lake Trail

I signed up to do this hike on Friday but am wondering about snow levels. Has anyone been up there since the last round of precip which seemed to result in a lot of new snow at elevations above 1000m? The lake is at 1460m. I'm concerned about losing the trail in the snow as it isn't used much in winter. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

how did you make out?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I was thinking about heading up there for an overnight in the coming weeks. Anyone know the conditions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
I was thinking about heading up there for an overnight in the coming weeks. Anyone know the conditions?
Check out SimonC's report on Corriveau. This should give you the info you need.

Here:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...r-20-15-a.html

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
Check out SimonC's report on Corriveau. This should give you the info you need.

Here:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...r-20-15-a.html

K

Simon was at Corriveau before we had the most recent dump of snow. I would expect a lot of slushy snow for the last third of the hike to the lake. Fortunately, the route through the snowy parts has been flagged and is easy to follow. Our big problem at the end of March was postholing to the knees through the slush. The lake was still covered with snow.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyowl View Post
Simon was at Corriveau before we had the most recent dump of snow. I would expect a lot of slushy snow for the last third of the hike to the lake. Fortunately, the route through the snowy parts has been flagged and is easy to follow. Our big problem at the end of March was postholing to the knees through the slush. The lake was still covered with snow.

Wow that slush would really make it tough.

K
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Geocaching, cross-country skiing, orienteering

I was just up there this weekend. Had a great time in the gorgeous spring weather.

I biked up to the trailhead, hid my mountain bike near there and backpacked the rest of the way up to the lake. I first hit snow somewhere around 1100m in the open areas, but it was very patchy and you don't have to cross much all the way up to the lake from there. The lake itself is mostly frozen still and there was a fair amount of snow at the campsite there. Found a couple dry clear patches for my tent, but the only official tent pad I found was under a couple feet of snow still. Overnight it was below freezing but hot during the day. I found the new bear food cache and green throne outhouse - looks like they haven't seen much use yet.

I continued up to the col in the morning, met someone who'd just come down from Mt. Webb, and continued up myself. The first half up to the col was slow going with lots of icy snow in the trees, but once I reached the bowl and got my snowshoes on it was easy going the rest of the way. This side is still shaded until late in the morning so it was hard and fast up. The col up to the peak of Webb was a lot softer but not too bad. Gorgeous views from up there on such a clear day. I bootskiied my way back down and hiked out.

The trail is well flagged the whole way and I never had much trouble following it. It seems like they might have improved the flagging leaving Radium Lake - there's a more obvious path to follow than I expected from the trail notes I read anyway. From the bowl up it's all open and you can just follow tracks or pick your own way.

Other than the one guy up at the col I only saw 3 other small groups hiking the bottom part of the trail. Not sure if anyone else made it as far as the lake.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page