Lost Cypress snowboarder found alive - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lost Cypress snowboarder found alive

Congrats on another successful search NSR. I know the guy isn't out of the woods yet but I assume it will now be possible to get him some warmth and plan an exit.
http://www.news1130.com/2012/12/18/m...spotted-alive/

I've been following this story and as the hours turned to days the possibility of a positive outcome seemed less likely.

When I see these types of searches (when there is a large area to canvas and when time is critical,) I wish there was a way for people with their own equipment and basic training in avalanche safety, mountaineering and first-aid to help with more feet on the ground. I've heard the reasons why that is not done but I've got to think that there would be a way to use a search "reserve force" if it existed for some types of searches. Even it's just to help patrol some of the easy terrain on the boundaries to help narrow down the search area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing
usually if they need more bodies, they call in a literal 'reserve force' - from other SAR units.
Good news.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 PM

Steventy, 'mutual aid' from other SAR teams was requested for this search. Generally speaking, SAR usually has adequate resources for searches, keeping in mind that the searchers need to be trained and manageable as per the risks presented by the search. If the person was missing in a cornfield in the Fraser Valley, it might be appropriate to use 'civilian' volunteer searchers, but that certainly isn't the case in the North Shore mountains right now.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Starting Member

The Province article mentions that they have to wait 3 hours for a helicopter from Comox. http://bit.ly/T69uG5

Could anyone shed some light on this? Why don't they have a helicopter available in the lower mainland? Purely cost?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RichMac

The Province article mentions that they have to wait 3 hours for a helicopter from Comox. http://bit.ly/T69uG5

Could anyone shed some light on this? Why don't they have a helicopter available in the lower mainland? Purely cost?
My guess is they needed the CH-149 Cormorant to perform a long-line rescue in the current weather.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:

None of the helicopters used by SAR teams in the Lower Mainland fly after dark, or in very inclement weather. That's what the heavy guns out of Comox are for.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Starting Member

I wish I could stop reading the facebook comments on this.

Quote:
quote:Honestly, I hoped they wouldnt find him alive. Would have served as a lesson to others that if you choose to take the risk, you better be ready for the possible outcome. I am sick to death of paying for these yahoos to get picked up after being stupid. Let Darwin take hold and weed these ones out. This coming from someone who loves high risk sports, but sure as **** dont expect anyone to pick up the tab if I dont prepare. Hopefully he lost a toe or two
5 Hours ago, 3 likes.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kid Charlemagne

Quote:

None of the helicopters used by SAR teams in the Lower Mainland fly after dark, or in very inclement weather. That's what the heavy guns out of Comox are for.
^^ What he said.

Good coverage:
http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/nort...338650#stories
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/rescued-snowboa...-say-1.1084732

-Ryan
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kid Charlemagne

Steventy, 'mutual aid' from other SAR teams was requested for this search. Generally speaking, SAR usually has adequate resources for searches, keeping in mind that the searchers need to be trained and manageable as per the risks presented by the search. If the person was missing in a cornfield in the Fraser Valley, it might be appropriate to use 'civilian' volunteer searchers, but that certainly isn't the case in the North Shore mountains right now.
Thanks for the info.

I understand the general reasoning. At the same time, it's not quite that black and white. There are some very skilled mountaineers (some that may even have previous SAR experience,) in the local area that can't join a team because they aren't able to make the year-round time commitment due to work or family obligations. In the event of a search that requires extra manpower, leveraging teams from other areas is good but they are small and they have their own searches to work on (Squamish has been busy with another search over the past week.) It seems feasible that there may be advantages to having a local back-up crew that would fund their own way (pay for their own equipment and training,) and would be required to have completed the GSAR course from the justice institute, AST-1, and Wilderness First Aid. They'd be available for searches where time is critical and where at least some of the search area is not highly technical. In a search like this one, you could have even set up a few of these teams to camp in non-avalanche terrain around the boundary and below the snow line in case the subject walked into their vicinity or in case verbal contact could be established in the silence of the night.

Obviously the SAR system is working pretty well today. It's miraculous how many searches are successful and how few searchers are injured or lost in the process; especially considering the small amount of funding that is made available. That doesn't mean we can't brainstorm about ways it could be even better in the future.

On a related note:
This fellow sounds like he probably has a bit of money in the bank. Hopefully he makes a generous donation for Christmas.
"Boucher is a director of finance with the National Bank of Canada, CBC News has confirmed. He works in both the Ottawa and Vancouver offices of the bank, but currently resides in West Vancouver."
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wish I could stop reading the facebook comments on this.

Quote:
quote:Honestly, I hoped they wouldnt find him alive. Would have served as a lesson to others that if you choose to take the risk, you better be ready for the possible outcome. I am sick to death of paying for these yahoos to get picked up after being stupid. Let Darwin take hold and weed these ones out. This coming from someone who loves high risk sports, but sure as **** dont expect anyone to pick up the tab if I dont prepare. Hopefully he lost a toe or two
5 Hours ago, 3 likes.

Most people seem to grossly underestimate how much of their tax dollars go towards healthcare for drunk drivers, the obese, and smokers and grossly overestimate how much of their tax dollars go to SAR operations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page