Spindle Canyon - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Spindle Canyon

For those those may want to know where Spindle Canyon is located as well as some other interesting data on Slumach and the lost mine. Go out and get yesterdays province (Sunday). There is a an article about a new book on Slumachs Gold. The article contains a map which marks the location of Spindle Canyon.

Jackson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:52 AM

This would be off the Boise route flagged by Western Canada Wilderness Committee, right?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the link Russ, looks like pretty cool route right in our back yards!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Intermediate Member

Can you tell us the name of the new book on Slumach's Lost Gold Mine? And perhaps post a review of it? I know there are a few books on the subject out there already, but some of them are not too good.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Intermediate Member

I would be very interested in hearing the hiking experiences of others in Spindle Canyon. I could also offer some advice on how to navigate it. There are a few "tricky" parts. Just getting to the entrance of Spindle Canyon is a challenge.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Here is a link to the Province article about Slumach. Its a bit to Waite focused but if you want to try for his location its in the Upper Pitt River north of the Hotsprings.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...e-c66cf24fc501

In regards to books on the lost mine here is a list of books that mention the lost mine or are totally about it.

1. Slumachs gold In search of a legend by the same authors above this is there first edition 1972
The chapter Remants of Research is most interesting.

2.Tales of the Golden Ears by Don Waite
Tells the Amanada Charnley Story same as article in the Province.

3.The Golden Mountains by Charles A miller
Full of great info like the Shotwell Story (who the Jackson letter was adressed to)Also has accounts of a prospector finding gold around Debeck Creek and has an account of Ragner Berglands fall into Spindle Canyon when he was attacked by a bear. As well as all kinds of other info on the mines around Stave Lake and Blue Mountain. Two of which I own for the moment.

4. Jack Mould and the Curse of Gold by Elizebeath Hawkins
(Pile of crap about Jack Moulds find at the North of Bute Inlet. Claiming his location was Slumachs gold. The worst piece of crap ever to be published regarding Slumach. If Slumach placed a curse on the gold. Lets hope he placed a second one on this book from the grave. The only thing good about this book is it mentions Jim Everett. A great dowser who found Jacks gold for him on Southgate peak near Bute Inlet and Jack took the credit and didnt give Jim a dime. Jim is a great man. May he rest in peace. However that being said Jack did find a mine (adit) on Southgate peak and an old Spanish helmet. I believe he did in fact find an old Spanish Mine. But there is no connection to Slumach. The last time I had a line on this story. Jack himself had come to the conclusion he had not found Slumachs gold and was focusing finding info connecting it to the Spanish in the Archives in Seville. He found a document claiming a wreck went down loaded with ore somewhere in Bute Inlet. That had come from the mine on Southgate peak.

5. Seekers of Gold by Daryl Friesen
(My own account) You can read some Chapters online and be the judge.

6. The Fraser Valley Story by Don Waite
( First release of Stuart Brown Letters to the Public and mentions tent shape rock found near Corbold Creek.

7. Slumachs lost mine by Ramsey (fiction)
Sounds like Lara Croft meets Slumach (crap)

8. The lost mine of Pitt Lake by Bill Barlee (an article but a must)
First release of Jackson letter to public. Bills father got it from one of the searchers who found it in Volcanic Browns last camp.

9. The Lost Creek mine by T.W.Patterson availble in Lost Bonazas of Western Canada Vol 1
A great account with all kinds of little pieces of info to help one put the puzzle together.

Jackson
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Should have listed yours as 7 Jackson for good luck, interesting story/history information indeed.

Just the name of the "Spindle Canyon" gives me a weary sense about the place.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I tried to make Seekers diffrent then the rest of the lost mine books. I tried to capture some of the wonder of first learning the legend as a child. Then I tried to keep that wonder alive as the real world moved in and started to attack my childhood dream. I then tried to regain that wonder by showing as much courage and determintion as I could by trying to find it and to prove the real world wrong. That there was some truth to this legend. I tried to bring the search alive by having character and dialog. I don't know if I succeed with Seekers but I gave it my best shot. Only time will really tell.

Try not,do or do not
there is no try.
-Yoda

Sincerley,
Jackson

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Intermediate Member

Right on Jackson. Keep your personal search going... no matter what anyone says. At the end of the Province article was a link to an interesting website:

http://www.slumach.ca

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page