Cerise Creek Summer Trail - Creek Crossings - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Cerise Creek Summer Trail - Creek Crossings

What are the creek crossings like on the Cerise Creek summer trail? I've read every trail description I can find and they only say that there are 3 creek crossings, but some photos show crossings that look a little dicey (a bare log with a cable running parallel).

Anybody have any recent experience with them or some photos of them? I'd be taking a friend who's relatively new to the backcountry scene and I don't want to throw them way beyond their comfort zone.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:21 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilljmccullough View Post
What are the creek crossings like on the Cerise Creek summer trail? I've read every trail description I can find and they only say that there are 3 creek crossings, but some photos show crossings that look a little dicey (a bare log with a cable running parallel).

Anybody have any recent experience with them or some photos of them? I'd be taking a friend who's relatively new to the backcountry scene and I don't want to throw them way beyond their comfort zone.

Thanks
I've only been there once, four years ago, but I only recall two creek crossings of any significance. Both are fairly close to the trailhead - one good bridge and one solid and easily crossed log bridge. That's if you take the "new" trail - possibly the old trail is different, and I'm sure there are others here who know it much better than I do who can clarify.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8310001.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	208457  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8310016.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	208465  

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Err, need you ask? Hiking :-)

The first bridge posted by Bill has a bit of a twist to it now but it's still crossable. I think it's high enough above Cayoosh Creek to be OK.

There is one more creek crossing as you enter the willowy meadows in the avalanche path from the NE side of Joffre. There are two options: one is a small log-jam bridge, the second is a few metres upstream and is a single skinny log with a handline. I found the skinny log and handline to be too close together to be feel stable, and crossed on the log-jam instead - easy in late September, not sure how it would be at the moment. Might even still have some snow around.

Snow levels? No idea - almost certainly still plenty around the hut. (The ridge up towards Motel 66 was still completely snow covered a couple of weeks ago, as seen from the road). Going by Joffre, I wouldn't be surprised if you still encountered some in the trees. Spikes might be handy?

Sorry I don't have access to photos right now, but hope that helps!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page