• 1 Post By tinman610
  • 1 Post By Ryan.in.yaletown
  • 1 Post By KARVITK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Snow line recession in southwest BC

Hi all,

Can anyone give me a rule of thumb for how fast the snow line tends to recede in southwest BC (in say, vertical metres per week)? I understand that this must vary year to year and across SWBC but any sort of approximation I could use would be helpful.

Really I'm just trying to estimate when certain hikes and scrambles will be snow-free or near enough.

Thanks

P.S. I'm guessing from a trip to Squamish last week that the snow line is currently at around 800m there. Is that more or less correct?

Last edited by TheMagBumper; 04-18-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

It is just about impossible to rate the change in snow level; since there is so much variability. North Versus south slopes;.......forested areas versus open meadow areas........these cause huge differences in snow level in the same area.

Cypress Bowl @ 900 meters level, there is 1.5 to 2 meters of snow just north of the skii areas.

In the interior it tends to be higher later on in the spring.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:30 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

What Karl said. There's no simple rule. However, if you check the automated snow pillow graphs, you can get a general idea of what's going on. Typically, peak snowpack snow water equivalent (not depth) is May 1 and things melt rapidly from there. http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/data/asp/realtime/ This year is mostly unusual because there's more snow than normal at low elevations (like Seymour). At medium and high elevations (like Mamquam or Wedgemount for instance), up until recently there was less than average. Many South Coast stations have crossed over and now have slightly above average, but nowhere near record, snowpacks.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Useful info there thank you both.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

I use the Whistler Blackcomb Mountain Webcams, Black Tusk Snowmobile Club Webcam, and Sea to Sky Gondola webcam. Looking at it visually is nice. Of course north facing slopes as low as 3-4000 feet may have permanent snow patches while south facing slopes the snow is long gone by May. But then it depends on the year.
TheMagBumper likes this.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:33 AM
Summit Master

Best set of SW BC links (webcams, snow data, water levels, etc.) can be found here:
http://www.ashikaparsad.com/2016/12/...lanning-links/

-Ryan
TheMagBumper likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

The Magbumper..

Hope you got the info needed for your planning.

presently snow level on northshore is about 800 to 850 meters in vicinity of active skii areas.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
The Magbumper..

Hope you got the info needed for your planning.

presently snow level on northshore is about 800 to 850 meters in vicinity of active skii areas.

K
Thanks, I have hopes to tackle Castle Towers and Mt. Weart later in the summer. I guess it was wishful thinking trying to project from April! Sounds like the snow will be lingering in the alpine long into the summer...

Last edited by TheMagBumper; 04-26-2017 at 03:20 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagBumper View Post
Thanks, I have hopes to tackle Castle Towers and Mt. Weart later in the summer. I guess it was wishful thinking trying to project from April! Sounds like the snow will be lingering in the alpine long into the summer...
With such deep snow late in the season, you can be sure the snow at high elevations will last right through August into September. Some patches may remain until next winter snow. Good idea to come equip with ice traction foot gear and ice axe to get around these .

K
TheMagBumper likes this.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.in.yaletown View Post
Best set of SW BC links (webcams, snow data, water levels, etc.) can be found here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.in.yaletown View Post
Might handy set of links there. You must thank Ashi for us

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page