North Coast Trail water-taxi - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default North Coast Trail water-taxi

Hello!
I am planning a trip to the North Coast Trail this summer. The Cape Scott Water Taxi company charges $90/person for the water-taxi and $75/person for the van shuttle. I think this cost is pretty high and am wondering if anyone knows of other options?? We are pretty keen on making this happen but we are poor students.....

Thanks!

Last edited by Megan303; 04-15-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Having hiked the North Coast Trail, if I did it again I'd do it as an out and back trip - drive to the Cape Scott trailhead, hike in to Nel's Bight and start the North Coast Trail. Hike the North Coast Trail as far as you want, then turn around and retrace your steps. I'd go as far as Shuttleworth bight or maybe Cape Sutil. The furthest I'd go is Skinner Creek - I would definitely not repeat the section in between there and Shushartie Bay.

That way you just have to drive yourself there - no shuttles or water taxis required.
msulkers and alpalmer like this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

I did an out-and-back yoyo trip when I hiked the North Coast. I liked repeating the trail on the way back, stopping here and there to look at things I missed on the way out. Just need to allow for a bit more time and food.

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...ttleworth.html
Westcoastwill likes this.

Last edited by alpalmer; 04-12-2016 at 11:06 PM. Reason: trip report link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:37 AM
High on the Mountain Top

If you only want to pay for the boat, you can drive yourself to the trailhead, and give your keys to someone on the trail going the opposite direction, and ask them to leave your vehicle in Port Hardy for you. I've done that before.
Megan303 likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 09:45 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: skiing, hiking, camping

I am also planning to hike the North Coast trail this summer. You guys are starting to scare me regarding that first day from Shushartie Bay to Skinner creek.
Can anyone give me a comparison between that section and a section on the west coast trail.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes-1 View Post
I am also planning to hike the North Coast trail this summer. You guys are starting to scare me regarding that first day from Shushartie Bay to Skinner creek.
Can anyone give me a comparison between that section and a section on the west coast trail.
Its been quite a few years since I was there so someone else may have more up to date information (or a better memory!) but I remember there being a short, steep slippery climb up from Shushartie Bay and then about 7km of inland swampy walking with no views. Nothing particularly difficult but much less maintained than the West Coast Trail and nothing to see, no reason to be there. It isn't a particularly technical trail section, just really slow and boring travel.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the suggestions! We are limited on time so I'm worried we would have to miss some of the trail if we backtrack. Is anyone familiar with the logging road from Port Hardy to the trailhead?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 01:17 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

https://forums.clubtread.com/30-briti...artie-bay.html

No free lunch with the North Coast Trail due to the accessibility challenges with the start point at Shushartie and the drive distance into Cape Scott trailhead. The distance between the two access points will "cost" you money or time or both.

Use the "Search" function to find other threads related to this hike. The people who run the shuttles provide a valuable service at what I think is a reasonable cost given the time, distance, remoteness, and business risk involved. Perhaps you might try finding additional hiking partners with another car and somehow work out a "trade keys" arrangement. Or consider another hiking destination given your limitations on budget and time. Vancouver Island is filled with fun stuff. Enjoy it!
Megan303 likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan303 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! We are limited on time so I'm worried we would have to miss some of the trail if we backtrack. Is anyone familiar with the logging road from Port Hardy to the trailhead?
I'm familiar with the road, what do you want to know?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Many thanks! A couple questions:
1. Is it open?
2. How close to the trailhead does it reach? Would it add a significant distance to our hike to go that route? And would it require much bushwhacking?
3. I've read some stuff about bears...so any information regarding that, we wouldn't want to disturb the wildlife
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:44 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan303 View Post
Many thanks! A couple questions:
1. Is it open?
2. How close to the trailhead does it reach? Would it add a significant distance to our hike to go that route? And would it require much bushwhacking?
3. I've read some stuff about bears...so any information regarding that, we wouldn't want to disturb the wildlife
Oh, I didn't know you meant the road to Shushartie, which doesn't exist. Yes, it would add a full day, maybe more, of bushwhacking if you want to try to hike to Shushartie from the spur road. It's some of the gnarliest bushwhacking going, complicated by waterways, and yes, there is a very high concentration of black bears in that area.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Costal hiking on Vancouver Island, Seakayaking in Folding Kayaks

Well, if you concider the amount of travel on the water and loggingroad i think whatever Cape Scott Water Taxi is charging, its more than fair,

Last year in early June, i found nobody to share transport costs, so i brought a bike to Port Hardy and i pedaled to the parking lot, doable in a day.

However, if you dont like the idea of yoyoing NCT, you can always hike in from San Josephs Bay to Beaver Cove and Lowrie Bay, keep on hiking on the shelf and bushwack to Hansen Lagoon.

here is my trip report:

https://forums.clubtread.com/30-briti...en-lagoon.html

I would not try to hike into Sushartie via logging roads.

Keep the local economy alfoat and spend a few bucks in Port Hardy!

Have a great hike and please post a trip report!

servus

Willi
alpalmer likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Bass, bike, hike

I've driven to above Shushartie on the back roads in my 4x4 truck while bear hunting as it turns out.

Would be a very knarly thrash through the slash and bush just to get started never minds creeks and river and what would be your plan regarding your vehicle?

Terrible road too, would beat the piss out of anything but a solid truck and eat tires p too. Abundant bears, but they're mostly scaredy bears.

I hiked to Cape Scott numerous times from 1970 to 1975. First time was Easter weekend solo. Haven't been back for 41 years.
Westcoastwill likes this.

nili illegitum carborundum
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 05:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Costal hiking on Vancouver Island, Seakayaking in Folding Kayaks

Would love to see some photos from your trips in the 70ies, Michael, have you seen the old houses, shelter on the way and suspension bridge out to she sea stack?
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Bass, bike, hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastwill View Post
Would love to see some photos from your trips in the 70ies, Michael, have you seen the old houses, shelter on the way and suspension bridge out to she sea stack?

Not quite sure what you mean she sea stack.

But yes, There was still a big old farmhouse up in the field above Hansen lagoon in 1970. It had a fireplace and people were slowly tearing the inside out to burn until it finally burned down. My dad had stayed there in 1958 shortly after it was abandoned. there was still a note on the table asking people to take care of the place and clean up. Every single thing left in the barn and house was gone by 1970. American treasure hunters had even gone along to the disintegrating homesteads all along the trail towards Holberg digging for everything they could find. Bottles, brass tack buckles, farm implements, everything.

Stayed there.

There was a hidden cabin at the sand neck , the only remaining Air force structure from WWII. Found a Lee Enfield 303 in there under the bed.

Slept there several times.

There was a current Air force "survival" training cabin on Hansen Lagoon at the Fisherman River and a squatter's cabin on the other side of the river tucked into the trees.

Stayed there.

And up the river along a hidden path either from the first crossing of the Fisherman river or from the shore were two log cabins belonging to people who had bought land there and been expropriated by the park.

Stayed there too.

There was a suspension bridge out to the actual cape from the lighthouse.

Haven't seen my photos for years. Didn't have a camera in Easter 1970.
Westcoastwill and alpalmer like this.

nili illegitum carborundum

Last edited by Michel; 04-15-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page